Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

Well they approved of the second story walkway to the parking garage with conditions. The garage was designed to have an additional two levels added as well.

Also, I guess having a "poop room" for our furry friends is gross too. If only developments on Michigan Street got this much attention...

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=2267

Here are the changes in more detail. A good education for all of us. :) I agree the "crown" looks funny with the slant to it. Makes me think of a dude with an old fashioned bowler hat.  I can't see how it would be masonry with that slant, so I imagine they're looking at metal panels. If it were recessed but straight vertically I think I'd like it a lot more.

It is fascinating that enhancing the vertical columns and de-emphasizing the horizontal sections in the middle totally makes the building feel more "vertical." 

10 Ionia HPC Changes 1.JPG

10 Ionia HPC Changes 2.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 3.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 4.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 5.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 6.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 7.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 8.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 9.JPG

10 Ionia HPC Changes 10.JPG

2 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I'm swooning. Make it happen, HPC. Still unsure what the top is all about, but I'm sure it'll be fine. 

You probably really won't even be able to see it except from quite a distance, especially with it being recessed and angled (if they keep that element)

But then again, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a "cap." If you can't see it? 

2 minutes ago, Ted said:

Funny that nowhere in the submittal do they show a full color rendering of the building, on the proposed site, with its neighbors.

Not cool that they're able to even get an audience with this level of detail.

It is interesting. I'd like to see how the materials, glass, etc. look as a cohesive unit.

Joe

8 minutes ago, Ted said:

Funny that nowhere in the submittal do they show a full color rendering of the building, on the proposed site, with its neighbors.

Not cool that they're able to even get an audience with this level of detail.

Uhhh, they did. This was back with the first proposal. My guess is they probably want to get feedback on the changes before they invest more time in renderings? (I would anyway) Or maybe they'll bring them to the meeting on the 5th.

15 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Uhhh, they did. This was back with the first proposal. My guess is they probably want to get feedback on the changes before they invest more time in renderings? (I would anyway) Or maybe they'll bring them to the meeting on the 5th.

42 stories is a big deal. The idea that they're not able/willing to invest in their public presentation graphics to properly showcase their design changes in the best possible light is short sighted and ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, Ted said:

42 stories is a big deal. The idea that they're not able/willing to invest in their public presentation graphics to properly showcase their design changes in the best possible light is short sighted and ridiculous.

You know for a fact that that's the case?