GRDadof3

42 story building coming to downtown GR

428 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

That top ruins the form.

I guess we will have to see a full color drawing. Maybe it's glass?

Just what I was thinking. The small,  added details to the rest look handsome on this elevation, however. 

11 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

That top ruins the form.

I guess we will have to see a full color drawing. Maybe it's glass?

That was my thought as well. Glass panels might actually be a good look. Just random sheets of metal...Not so much. 

Edited by GRLaker

22 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

That was my thought as well. Glass panels might actually be a good look. Just random sheets of metal...Not so much. 

Admittedly, I don't know too much about the HPC or its standards, but I would guess random sheets of metal would not survive the Commission's scrutiny.  More likely to be a brick or stone facade to enclose mechanicals??

I agree, a brick or stone facade would be more likely to satisfy the HPC imo.  Can't wait to see the new renderings.

I like it. The top might give the chance to light it up. Will be interesting to see if it it glass or metal. Even if it is metal, Chicago has some beautiful buildings with a metal "crown". Could look quite nice. 

Joe

Well they approved of the second story walkway to the parking garage with conditions. The garage was designed to have an additional two levels added as well.

Also, I guess having a "poop room" for our furry friends is gross too. If only developments on Michigan Street got this much attention...

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=2267

Here are the changes in more detail. A good education for all of us. :) I agree the "crown" looks funny with the slant to it. Makes me think of a dude with an old fashioned bowler hat.  I can't see how it would be masonry with that slant, so I imagine they're looking at metal panels. If it were recessed but straight vertically I think I'd like it a lot more.

It is fascinating that enhancing the vertical columns and de-emphasizing the horizontal sections in the middle totally makes the building feel more "vertical." 

10 Ionia HPC Changes 1.JPG

10 Ionia HPC Changes 2.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 3.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 4.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 5.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 6.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 7.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 8.JPG10 Ionia HPC Changes 9.JPG

10 Ionia HPC Changes 10.JPG

I'm swooning. Make it happen, HPC. Still unsure what the top is all about, but I'm sure it'll be fine. 

2 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I'm swooning. Make it happen, HPC. Still unsure what the top is all about, but I'm sure it'll be fine. 

You probably really won't even be able to see it except from quite a distance, especially with it being recessed and angled (if they keep that element)

But then again, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a "cap." If you can't see it? 

3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

You probably really won't even be able to see it except from quite a distance. 

Very true. It's tall enough that from most angles and distances it will just be a flat top building. 

2 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Very true. It's tall enough that from most angles and distances it will just be a flat top building. 

I don't know why the HPC doesn't require this. :lol:

44168060.jpg

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't know why the HPC doesn't require this. :lol:

44168060.jpg

I have always loved that building. Something like that in downtown GR would be magnificent. 

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

So when does this go back to the HPC? 

Joe

October 5th, 5pm, 2nd floor hearing room.

I'm really happy with how this design is being handled and progressing. Love it. 

7 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

So when does this go back to the HPC? 

Joe

Looks like October 5, according to the plans above. We could be less than a week away from this thing becoming final!

Just now, GRLaker said:

I have always loved that building. Something like that in downtown GR would be magnificent. 

Me too. Nashville North! (certainly a beautiful city to emulate)

Funny that nowhere in the submittal do they show a full color rendering of the building, on the proposed site, with its neighbors.

Not cool that they're able to even get an audience with this level of detail.

2 minutes ago, Ted said:

Funny that nowhere in the submittal do they show a full color rendering of the building, on the proposed site, with its neighbors.

It is interesting. I'd like to see how the materials, glass, etc. look as a cohesive unit.

Joe

8 minutes ago, Ted said:

Uhhh, they did. This was back with the first proposal. My guess is they probably want to get feedback on the changes before they invest more time in renderings? (I would anyway) Or maybe they'll bring them to the meeting on the 5th.

15 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Uhhh, they did. This was back with the first proposal. My guess is they probably want to get feedback on the changes before they invest more time in renderings? (I would anyway) Or maybe they'll bring them to the meeting on the 5th.

42 stories is a big deal. The idea that they're not able/willing to invest in their public presentation graphics to properly showcase their design changes in the best possible light is short sighted and ridiculous.

Honestly, given the choice between the original concept for the top floors and this new rendering, I'd take the original all day long.  However, when it comes to the rest of the changes, I think they are a definite improvement.  

27 minutes ago, Ted said:

42 stories is a big deal. The idea that they're not able/willing to invest in their public presentation graphics to properly showcase their design changes in the best possible light is short sighted and ridiculous.

You know for a fact that that's the case? 

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Yeah, I can live with this. Nothing too crazy.

Let's turn dirt!

48 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

You know for a fact that that's the case? 

I don't see it in their submittal, do you?