GRDadof3

42 story building coming to downtown GR

8 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I feel like I'm stuck in that old Whatchamcallit commercial. My head is spinning, please stop. Maybe we'll see color renderings in the next few days?

Joe

This one?

• Like 1

I want to see what the top will look like from a different angle since this building is wedge shaped and the images only show it as if it were a regular four sided building. Very glad how they thought about making it look more vertical as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ted said:

I don't see it in their submittal, do you?

I don't know if what's posted on the city's site is the whole submittal. I've gone to commission meetings, actually most commission meetings, where they present way more than what was in the agenda packet. But I guess since you guys got so beat up over Twelve Weston, you want the same scrutiny for this project? 

9 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Close! But it's actually this one. GRDad is the driver, Ted is the passenger and we're all the dog in the middle. LOL

Joe

Haha. :)

18 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't know if what's posted on the city's site is the whole submittal. I've gone to commission meetings, actually most commission meetings, where they present way more than what was in the agenda packet. But I guess since you guys got so beat up over Twelve Weston, you want the same scrutiny for this project? 

Haha. :)

Shouldn't this process to have some consistency?

I'm loving the progress on this, I hope they go through with it. It would be huge for the city. I also think with the new crown/roof on top of it, I feel maybe some LED would look good on it especially for the nightlife developing in GR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSutterKing said:

I'm loving the progress on this, I hope they go through with it. It would be huge for the city. I also think with the new crown/roof on top of it, I feel maybe some LED would look good on it especially for the nightlife developing in GR.

I agree, let there be light!!

12 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I think it's Wednesday actually. 

5 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Anyone going to the meeting tonight at 5pm?

Joe

Yes, tomorrow the 5th at 5pm. I was thinking of going but it's the last item on the agenda. It's gonna be a long night. 

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=14&ID=2281&Inline=True

7 minutes ago, SupercityGR said:

Well hasn't the height and skywalk already been approved? Weren't they just looking for a thumbs up on exterior materials?

I could be entirely off...But I think they just indicated that they like the idea of a 42 story tower there and a skywalk, but the project as it stood was denied. So this is a discussion to see if this is more along the lines of what they'd like to see, which would then move into the approval or disapproval stage at the next meeting I'm sure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Looks like it's not even up for approval - just discussion. Tick tock, tick tock. 

Yup, that's what I think it said on the agenda.

23 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I could be entirely off...But I think they just indicated that they like the idea of a 42 story tower there and a skywalk, but the project as it stood was denied. So this is a discussion to see if this is more along the lines of what they'd like to see, which would then move into the approval or disapproval stage at the next meeting I'm sure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, the last meeting was an informal advisory session too, so nothing's really been denied either.  The HPC just indicated they would have no problems with the idea of a 42-story tower, but probably would have problems with the design.

The parking structure and the skywalk was approved by the Planning Commission.  That structure doesn't have to go before the HPC because that parcel is outside the Historic District boundary.

Did I get it right?  Now someone correct ME if I'm wrong. :dontknow:

12 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

Actually, the last meeting was an informal advisory session too, so nothing's really been denied either.  The HPC just indicated they would have no problems with the idea of a 42-story tower, but probably would have problems with the design.

The parking structure and the skywalk was approved by the Planning Commission.  That structure doesn't have to go before the HPC because that parcel is outside the Historic District boundary.

Did I get it right?  Now someone correct ME if I'm wrong. :dontknow:

I think you are correct sir (or madam). I don't think it was ever really "denied" because it was never formally submitted? 

Anyone attend or hear what happened at the HPC meeting last night? A lot on the docket. This building, 12 Weston, the 616 development of Wealthy, the proposed demolition of the house on Wealthy.

Joe

3 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Minutes! We must have meeting minutes!

I checked for minutes, not up yet. I guess they don't realize that a bunch of development nerds are waiting impatiently for Historic Preservation Commission notes. :)

Joe

• Like 3

I wonder why the first meeting was so heavily covered by all media outlets, yet this one has had zero coverage despite it being what could ultimately lead to approval.