Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

7 minutes ago, GRCentro said:

Alright, nerds, I've got you covered. :) 

1. 10 Ionia. Proposed changes received a generally favorable response from the Commission. Applicant is asked to return with more detailed drawings and color renderings. They have the option to request an advisory discussion or formal review.

2. 12 Weston. Approved with submitted changes.

3. 733 Wealthy. Alternate option (shown below) that would involve reconstruction and slight relocation of lower cornice was approved.

4. 616 Wealthy. Demolition denied. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 2.53.05 PM.png

I'm not surprised 616 Wealthy demo was denied. Cherry Street Capital was denied for the house at Cherry and Diamond which is in similar rough shape (apparently). 

25 minutes ago, GRCentro said:

Alright, nerds, I've got you covered. :) 

1. 10 Ionia. Proposed changes received a generally favorable response from the Commission. Applicant is asked to return with more detailed drawings and color renderings. They have the option to request an advisory discussion or formal review.

2. 12 Weston. Approved with submitted changes.

3. 733 Wealthy. Alternate option (shown below) that would involve reconstruction and slight relocation of lower cornice was approved.

4. 616 Wealthy. Demolition denied. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 2.53.05 PM.png

In a world where time is money, I'm amazed that they didn't bring renderings to the table for 10 Ionia. I have no doubt that when they are made, the final product will look great.

Also, 733 Wealthy will look amazing in comparison. I'm looking forward to that coming to fruition. 

16 hours ago, GRLaker said:

In a world where time is money, I'm amazed that they didn't bring renderings to the table for 10 Ionia. I have no doubt that when they are made, the final product will look great.

Also, 733 Wealthy will look amazing in comparison. I'm looking forward to that coming to fruition. 

Right.  How much more does it cost for some detail color renderings?   It seems going with color renders might have made sense, but what do I know.  I'm just an arm chair quarterback.

Oh, and 733 Wealthy looks awesome!   

616 Wealthy needs to be torn down. From the pics it looks like it needs more work than it's worth.  I assume up keep of that dump, and trying to keep homeless out of there would be a pain.  David LaGrand owns this, correct?

Edited by mpchicago

Thanks GRCentro. Hope 10 Ionia goes to the next step quickly and tries to get some sort of approval. 

I'm glad they didn't approve the demo on the house. Come with a plan if your going to try and knock something down. Or finish what they started across the street (though isn't that building going through a nasty business divorce along with Wealthy Street Bakery, or is it separate?). 

Joe

18 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Right.  How much more does it cost for some detail color renderings?   It seems going with color renders might have made sense, but what do I know.  I'm just an arm chair quarterback.

Oh, and 733 Wealthy looks awesome!   

616 Wealthy needs to be torn down. From the pics it looks like it needs more work than it's worth.  I assume up keep of that dump, and trying to keep homeless out of there would be a pain.  David LaGrand owns this, correct?

No, David sold out all of his assets in the bakery, etc to his partner before running for office.

On October 6, 2016 at 4:29 PM, mpchicago said:

616 Wealthy needs to be torn down. From the pics it looks like it needs more work than it's worth.  I assume up keep of that dump, and trying to keep homeless out of there would be a pain. 

Preservation law is written to make demolitions within a historic district very difficult. And with good reason: we learned from previous mistakes. Before protection was established too much was lost due to short-sighted interests and ill-conceived notions of "improvement" (old City Hall, anyone?). Remember that not too long ago most of Heritage Hill was considered a dump. And perhaps it was. Property value was low and vacancy high. Decades of deferred maintenance and poor treatment is ugly. But, in older buildings, much is often recoverable. A huge portion of the Hill nearly met an untimely end with the bulldozer. Now it is one of the largest, most intact urban historic districts in the nation. 

On October 6, 2016 at 9:12 PM, joeDowntown said:

I'm glad they didn't approve the demo on the house. Come with a plan if your going to try and knock something down. 

Exactly. There are only four instances in which a demolition could occur:

1. The building is deemed a threat to the safety of the public or its occupants.

2. Retaining the building is a deterrent to a major improvement project of substantial benefit to the community.

3. Retaining the building imposes an unreasonable economic hardship for reasons beyond the owner's control.

4. Retaining the building is not in the interest of the majority of the public.

Outside of proving one of these conditions (emphasis on prove), a demo ain't gonna happen.

Edit: I realize this thread is getting far off topic. Perhaps it is time for a new Historic Preservation thread? Development in our historic districts continues to heat up and I'd love for the preservation theory and practice (and complaints!) conversations to continue. Mods, is there an easy way to move some of this content to start a new discussion?

Edited by GRCentro
  • Like 1

On 10 Ionia, it appears that they brought some updated "design images" to the HPC.  If you ask me, they are being very smart about this process by not constantly putting out proposals for approval and having them denied.  What they are attempting to do at 10 Ionia, at least from a preservation perspective, is something that is really difficult to do.  Hopefully they finally got the hint that they need to do some architectural borrowing to make the building substantially more sympathetic to surrounding historic buildings and come up with something that will look just as good in 100 years as those buildings do now.  

So far as those other projects, 733 should be vastly improved.  My only big concern there is if 616 was relying on federal preservation credits.  HPC played a little fast and loose on this because it was really the best option for the building.  I doubt the feds would be quite as forgiving...  So, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2016 at 11:31 AM, x99 said:

I don't think it has been approved yet by HPC.  However, since they essentially have approval of the height, I assume they'll just do whatever is necessary to have a compliant facade.  No reason to wait on soil engineering and some other details.  

Back on the agenda for the Nov 2nd HPC meeting. Gets better and better looking every time. I like the top better for sure. 

There are some other tweaks too but it's getting into minutiae that's hard to convey. 

30477840681_7cc542f722_b.jpg

• Like 1

There are some callouts on the latest plans, if you want to read them (circled in red):

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=2302&Inline=True

2 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

Yes.  I like the Oct 20 version best.

The Oct 20th version is awesomesauce. Break ground! :)  #gamechanger

It is majorly improved over the first draft.  Still pretty blah ... but waaaaaay better than it started.  What seems to keep making it better is their adding actual architecture to it... :rolleyes: Just imagine if they went whole hog and interrupted that tedious "stacked up cubes" look that seems to be all the rage.  It could actually be a real stunner.  But I don't think Hinman's gonna go that way unless HPC makes them do it.  My guess is they approve this, but I still hope they don't.  It's getting there, but I don't think it's there yet.  I keep picturing arches somewhere, sort of riffing on the Trade Center.  I think that would really help.  

38 minutes ago, x99 said:

It is majorly improved over the first draft.  Still pretty blah ... but waaaaaay better than it started.  What seems to keep making it better is their adding actual architecture to it... :rolleyes: Just imagine if they went whole hog and interrupted that tedious "stacked up cubes" look that seems to be all the rage.  It could actually be a real stunner.  But I don't think Hinman's gonna go that way unless HPC makes them do it.  My guess is they approve this, but I still hope they don't.  It's getting there, but I don't think it's there yet.  I keep picturing arches somewhere, sort of riffing on the Trade Center.  I think that would really help.  

Ya know, I think arches strategically placed might look really cool. Maybe at the floor just below the "indentation" and then again at the top, and at the ground floor? 

14 hours ago, WMrapids said:

The HPC might like some arches if they fit in well.

Since everything else is looking better,  how much longer can we let this cook before it gains some height too?! :)

Yeah, it'd be nice to hit 450'. They'd only have to add 2 more floors.