Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

6 hours ago, JP9 said:

Seems like this project is fading away...  Any rumors out there?

Why, because there hasn't been any news ina few months? I'm sure a 42 building takes a while to get all of the designs done, ducks in a row, etc. I talked to someone a few weeks ago that said they're company has been talking about doing some of the steel work. Just because we don't hear anything, doesn't mean nothing is going on. 

Joe

• Like 2

16 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Why, because there hasn't been any news ina few months? I'm sure a 42 building takes a while to get all of the designs done, ducks in a row, etc. I talked to someone a few weeks ago that said they're company has been talking about doing some of the steel work. Just because we don't hear anything, doesn't mean nothing is going on. 

Joe

Most "skyscrapers" take years to plan. I think we're what, one year into planning on this? 

7 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

Planning is good, if planning is whats happening. It will be the first building people see and hopefully around if its done tastefully. 

It might actually not happen, that's always a possibility during planning, with which life would go on. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JimInGR said:

Give it some time. We got few updates about Embassy Suites and look how long it took to break ground. And this project is huge compared to that.

Exactly, we're not exactly getting a ton of information about the Warner Tower either, but construction has to be imminent to meet their deadline. I could imagine some refactoring going on based on the apartment saturation and number of hotels announced in recent months. 

Joe

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Exactly, we're not exactly getting a ton of information about the Warner Tower either, but construction has to be imminent to meet their deadline. I could imagine some refactoring going on based on the apartment saturation and number of hotels announced in recent months. 

Joe

Supposed start date of 6/12/17 on Warner Tower

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sooooo.... do you guys and gals think this is a) dead? b) on hold? c) getting ready to get started?

I don't really think projects like this ever really "die," because they live on in the minds of the developer/architect. :)

I obviously don't know anything about the current status of it, but I do remember reading in articles that a year ago when this was going through the approval process they (and Suzanne Schulz) were quoted saying it was over a year out from starting construction. That said, I'm sure there is a ton of room for changes in the market/need/feasability/etc. for this project. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WMrapids said:

The most recent mention is from the folks at Bradley Company:

http://www.bradleyco.com/blog/2017/6/15/top-5-projects-in-grand-rapids

Their wording seems prettt confident. This is the first or second time I've seen some say that this will be 40 stories instead of 42 stories.

That's a total marketing piece. I wouldn't wipe my ass with that. :) 

5 hours ago, The ATX said:

Even in booming cities like Austin, big projects can take several years to get going.  I wouldn't even begin to worry about this project for a long time.

Well, yeah, but this project was half nuts to start with, so it's just one of those things where you keep your fingers crossed really tightly and hope Hinman never really had making money in mind so much as making a statement/legacy... :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

It looks like this project is going before the Design Team (Engineering Department) next week, possibly in regards to the footings needing to go under the public space/sidewalks? Regardless that seems to me to be a good sign. 

Yes, it looks like the the city will need to vacate some of its right of way for building footings.  This project appears to be moving forward, that's great to hear!