GRDadof3

42 story building coming to downtown GR

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, GR8scott said:

bWhat's the largest office building? Ancient 18 story McKay?  Des Moines and Omaha are great market comparisons and they have 600+ footers that mixes real well with a couple 400s  nothing crazy like OKC, but really adds some distinction to the skylines. I don't think this building is iconic mainly because of the height but also because of the top of the building, still love it though!

I actually think Bridgewater Place is the largest.  Before they broke ground on the Warner Tower it has been the only office building of scale built in the last 40 years.  Every other glass tower along the river is residential in nature.   With regard to Omaha and Des Moines, keep in mind both of those cities tallest were built by large regional financial institutions back when every regional financial institution was building flagship towers in their cities.  Des Moines has a couple of mid-sized companies headquartered downtown.  Omaha is home to Berkshire Hathaway which is Fortune 5 and undoubtedly has a huge impact on ancillary office demand.  Honestly If you were to remove the One First National center from Omaha's skyline what you're left with is quite uninspiring.  In Grand Rapids case Old Kent Bank was the largest financial institution during the era of flashy regional bank towers and they were visionary with the characterless boxes they built :D

Metro GR has four companies of scale that if even one were to move downtown would be a game changer.  Five if you add Steelcase.  They are all firmly entrenched in the suburbs and i'm not sure there would ever be incentive to get them downtown.  The largest company headquartered downtown is Spectrum Health and they have hodgepodged themselves all over the CBD from Monroe North to Midtown to the Heartside.  We don't think about it but Spectrum is a multibillion dollar company.  If Spectrum were to consolidate it's offices into some kind of flagship building and contain all of the parking to the facility it might be a win(Ellis Parking has a fantastic rectangle on Ionia across from the Courthouse that is seldom mentioned).  The downside would be that it would also open up a boat load more office space in an already mediocre market.  The upside would be that it could free up a boat load of parking and potentially attract hesitant office tennants.  Who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, MJLO said:

I actually think Bridgewater Place is the largest.  Before they broke ground on the Warner Tower it has been the only office building of scale built in the last 40 years.  Every other glass tower along the river is residential in nature.   With regard to Omaha and Des Moines, keep in mind both of those cities tallest were built by large regional financial institutions back when every regional financial institution was building flagship towers in their cities.  Des Moines has a couple of mid-sized companies headquartered downtown.  Omaha is home to Berkshire Hathaway which is Fortune 5 and undoubtedly has a huge impact on ancillary office demand.  Honestly If you were to remove the One First National center from Omaha's skyline what you're left with is quite uninspiring.  In Grand Rapids case Old Kent Bank was the largest financial institution during the era of flashy regional bank towers and they were visionary with the characterless boxes they built :D

Metro GR has four companies of scale that if even one were to move downtown would be a game changer.  Five if you add Steelcase.  They are all firmly entrenched in the suburbs and i'm not sure there would ever be incentive to get them downtown.  The largest company headquartered downtown is Spectrum Health and they have hodgepodged themselves all over the CBD from Monroe North to Midtown to the Heartside.  We don't think about it but Spectrum is a multibillion dollar company.  If Spectrum were to consolidate it's offices into some kind of flagship building and contain all of the parking to the facility it might be a win(Ellis Parking has a fantastic rectangle on Ionia across from the Courthouse that is seldom mentioned).  The downside would be that it would also open up a boat load more office space in an already mediocre market.  The upside would be that it could free up a boat load of parking and potentially attract hesitant office tennants.  Who knows.

Keep in mind Spectrum moved 500 people into 25 Ottawa. 500 people is an average size for a corporate HQ of a regional company. To have put those people into a brand new building would have probably been 4x to 5x the cost. Costs that would get transferred to people using Spectrum for healthcare.

I hear the office building portion of Studio C is going to be pretty cool... Not a highrise but still cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Keep in mind Spectrum moved 500 people into 25 Ottawa. 500 people is an average size for a corporate HQ of a regional company. To have put those people into a brand new building would have probably been 4x to 5x the cost. Costs that would get transferred to people using Spectrum for healthcare.

 

Doesn't Spectrum know that business decisions are supposed to be based on the image urban enthusiasts want the city to project?? I thought that was office planning 101 or something. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

I can say with 110% certainty that SH will never build a corporate headquarters. They're content with spreading their administrative staff throughout the land and having them drive between buildings for hundreds of meetings in the dead of winter.

I know they're always on the hunt for space, and parking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MJLO said:

 

Metro GR has four companies of scale that if even one were to move downtown would be a game changer.  Five if you add Steelcase.  They are all firmly entrenched in the suburbs and i'm not sure there would ever be incentive to get them downtown. 

as a for instance, the cost of Meijer adding 300k sq ft of office space to it's existing campus 4 yrs ago was probably a fraction of what it would have cost for it to move downtown.  They would need 500k sq ft or more to replace their current office floor space.  And parking for 2,000+ people.  Their recent addition in walker was done in an existing warehouse space.  And they have enough additional space to add hundreds of thousands of extra sq ft of office if they need it in the future.  They'll never move downtown, although their QA dept and commercial kitchen is downtown on Ionia.  

Edited by scottythe1nonly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just get some of the billionaires to pay for a Space Needle like structure that has no use but observation. I say we have GRDadofDough be one of the first donors. :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WMrapids said:

Just get some of the billionaires to pay for a Space Needle like structure that has no use but observation. I say we have GRDadofDough be one of the first donors. :lol:

GRDadofDough? I assume this is meant to be a sarcastic swipe at me? FYI I would never donate money to such a folly. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

GRDadofDough? I assume this is meant to be a sarcastic swipe at me? FYI I would never donate money to such a folly. :)

I remember from the other thread :P

But it would be a quick way to get a tower. I don't see a huge office building downtown anytime soon.

Edited by WMrapids
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

I remembers from the other thread :P

But it would be a quick way to get a tower. I don't see a huge office building downtown anytime soon.

My comment about money/income a few months ago was a direct sarcastic response to a discussion that was being quite insensitive to other members and their supposed financial status. It's all good I had forgotten about it until now. 

But I agree, I don't foresee anything. Unless Orion goes big before Wheeler retires or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2017 at 9:06 AM, GRLaker said:

I can say with 110% certainty that SH will never build a corporate headquarters. They're content with spreading their administrative staff throughout the land and having them drive between buildings for hundreds of meetings in the dead of winter.

I can fully corroborate this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

I can fully corroborate this!

I'm glad I don't have to deal with it anymore. I used to drive between 5 offices spread throughout the metro area on a consistent basis. 

Edited by GRLaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scottythe1nonly said:

I am not impressed by the scant details we've seen so far. It will become an iconic part of our skyline.  It should have an iconic design.  So far I'm not counting on that

This project went back to the HPC how many times? At least half a dozen maybe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2017 at 2:56 PM, GVSUChris said:

It looks like this project is going before the Design Team (Engineering Department) next week, possibly in regards to the footings needing to go under the public space/sidewalks? Regardless that seems to me to be a good sign. 

Did anyone ever hear the results of the Design Team meeting in August? Are those meeting notes public?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Did anyone ever hear the results of the Design Team meeting in August? Are those meeting notes public?

Yes, they are public and typically the minutes end up in the meeting packs a few weeks later. There hasn't been a meeting in a few weeks so hopefully there will some put out today or next Friday. I'd like to see if there is any info in there as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2017 at 9:15 AM, scottythe1nonly said:

I am not impressed by the scant details we've seen so far. It will become an iconic part of our skyline.  It should have an iconic design.  So far I'm not counting on that

I expect that what was approved is basically what will be built.  Not "iconic" in any traditional sense.  Almost no one builds "iconic" mid-rise skyscrapers anymore for some reason.  I like to think of them as vertical trailer parks.  You get the same exact thing stacked up floor, after floor, after floor, after floor.  While the building does go vertical, the designs often squander the opportunity to present a vertical design, which results in mediocre crap.  This will be more of the same.  Not Michigan Street level awful, but nothing great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Well we've already hit the 1 year mark since the approval of this project by the HPC. It says in this article that they anticipate groundbreaking will likely be more than a year out.

https://mibiz.com/item/24179-proposed-hinman-co-40-story-tower-receives-city-approval

I think if we all post positive thoughts, we can will this thing into starting. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wingbert said:

Let's all meet at John Ball Park tomorrow evening and channel our positive thoughts...

18708010.gif

E3EC6458-DD6E-421D-9CB0-28B50CDFA56B.gif.b511d4481df55092e3658017327c8d77.gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it'll get built. I'm sure there are a lot of logistics, planning, etc. that need to be done. Also, with 30 floors of apartments, might not be bad to be planning to have the building come online 2-3 years down the road and let some of the other apartment building fill up / sort themselves out. :)

Joe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.