GRDadof3

42 story building coming to downtown GR

381 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

It's not the 1920s any more. Some buildings look old, some are glass towers. Nothing wrong with glass towers. Many look nice.

You have to get over yourself. 

I never said there was anything wrong with them.  I said there is something wrong with them in historic districts which are designated for a particular style that was not glass towers.  If they wanted to designate the Urban Renewal Zone to preserve the whole mid-60's suburban office park feel, I would have just as big a problem with someone proposing a huge classically detailed brick building right at the street.  

My point is that height isn't what matters.  Design matters.  They get the design on this right, they should get their 42 story building.  No, they don't have precedent in Heartside--the issue they ran into last time they proposed something tall--but the first one never does, and it shouldn't matter as long as the building fits in.

Thank you for this! Any chance you'd share the sketchup file?

Very nice.  Hopefully this tower will be completed before my next trip back to Grand Rapids.

Wow, I have to check in here more often.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Gave you guys a little extra with 20 Fulton included too.

Here's the model of the tower and here is the model of 20 Fulton again.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-24_at_3.32.46_PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 3.33.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 3.33.52 PM.png

Looks great!  I am really excited about this.  Finally some height away from the riverfront.  I really hope this doesn't get scaled down or rejected.  It seems kind of silly that this parking lot is in the historic district.  Maybe this will encourage other developers to go taller, especially now that central downtown is starting to fill in.  

I would think with the small footprint this would rise pretty quickly if approved, can anyone confirm?

Is it too early to call this GR's second building boom of the past 10 years?

Awesome job. It's big, that's for sure. But I don't think it is unsightly. And it's the CBD for gods sake. 

Joe

1 person likes this

It looks very distinguished.

I was a bit iffy on the location, but this is going to be a defining landmark that will be prominently visible throughout the DT area. I actually hope it is that color!

1 person likes this

Hear hear, that sketchup looks great. What about Venue tower in there? I was right by it today and they're already on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the residential tower already.  

That entire Sketchup collection of buildings looks fantastic.  Is that drawing with models publicly available anywhere?

1 hour ago, luma said:

That entire Sketchup collection of buildings looks fantastic.  Is that drawing with models publicly available anywhere?

WMrapids is Google Earth for his pictures. His model of this tower was imported into Earth. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Hear hear, that sketchup looks great. What about Venue tower in there? I was right by it today and they're already on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the residential tower already.  

I've been trying to work on it with the images available. I accidentally used one of the old images and noticed the model was off when the height was at some 250 feet. Looking at it in Google Earth, the old proposal would have sure looked good...

image.png

Edited by WMrapids
2 people like this

Here's with The Cube at its current height included.

image.png

1 person likes this

The cube sure would've looked good at 20 stories.. Hopefully the building at 10 ionia doesn't get scaled down too much if any at all. I also am liking the location and look of it more and more after seeing the pics.. Can't wait for july 6th!

4 hours ago, ant33 said:

The cube sure would've looked good at 20 stories.. Hopefully the building at 10 ionia doesn't get scaled down too much if any at all. I also am liking the location and look of it more and more after seeing the pics.. Can't wait for july 6th!

I sure wish it stayed at 20. Heck, even the first revision of 14 would be better.

Still, 12 stories where there were none... I'll take it.

Here are some more images of this project from the HPC packet. The parking garage (connected by a skywalk) looks like it's going to get a makeover. 

27958067041_173646a40f_o.jpg

27958065941_e686e7987a_o.jpg

27958066671_4e37313a68_b.jpg

I'll be honest, I'm still incredulous this will work out.  That lot just seems so small.  You'd think they need a few more levels on the parking structure to accommodate all the spaces they will need.  And I wonder if the hotel will offer any dining?  Will they dedicate 1 or 2 floors to a restaurant?

The square parcel the parking structure sits on appears to be bigger than the triangular parcel.  Maybe they should build the tower on the square lot instead and put the connected parking structure on the triangle.

Edited by RegalTDP

40 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

I'll be honest, I'm still incredulous this will work out.  That lot just seems so small.  You'd think they need a few more levels on the parking structure to accommodate all the spaces they will need.  And I wonder if the hotel will offer any dining?  Will they dedicate 1 or 2 floors to a restaurant?

The square parcel the parking structure sits on appears to be bigger than the triangular parcel.  Maybe they should build the tower on the square lot instead and put the connected parking structure on the triangle.

I thought they said an update of the parking structure was planned too. I read that to mean added parking.

35 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I thought they said an update of the parking structure was planned too. I read that to mean added parking.

Isn't that what's in the picture?  Doesn't look like enough to me.

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

Isn't that what's in the picture?  Doesn't look like enough to me.

the parking across louis st appears to be going from 2 decks to 4 decks. As for hotel dinning and other amenities, wouldnt they just put that on floors 2-4 or something? seems like sufficient room to me, besides, there has to many numerous example of hotels in NYC and Chicago do the same or even more with less room

52 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

the parking across louis st appears to be going from 2 decks to 4 decks. As for hotel dinning and other amenities, wouldnt they just put that on floors 2-4 or something? seems like sufficient room to me, besides, there has to many numerous example of hotels in NYC and Chicago do the same or even more with less room

They very easily could. They could (should they feel bold) put those on top of the parking structure. 

1 person likes this

It looks to me like the parking lot is 4 stories. I'm sure a more modern ramp would fit a decent number of cars.

From everything I see, it looks a pretty nice design. And anyone questioning the lot size, remember, there was a pretty substantial building on this before. It's not as small as it looks.

Joe