Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

27 minutes ago, x99 said:

Maybe if they'd designed this thing to actually look attractive ... like a 40 story neogothic tower or castle ... iit wouldn't have fallen flat on its rear end.  :P

I always just assumed it was Hinman's vanity project where money didn't matter.   Seems it wasn't.  Oh well.  

As much as I hate it...It's still a very good testament to the American Dream. Like you can still, no matter what what your fantasies are, pretty much do what you want if you have the means. 

1 hour ago, x99 said:

Maybe if they'd designed this thing to actually look attractive ... like a 40 story neogothic tower or castle ... iit wouldn't have fallen flat on its rear end.  :P

I always just assumed it was Hinman's vanity project where money didn't matter.   Seems it wasn't.  Oh well.  

He sure talked big like that was the case. He said that he took a lot of pride in eventually having the tallest building in GR. Now it likely won't even be the tallest on his block.

• 1 month later...

Confirmed that it will be a hotel as well? 

If so, we have that, 50 monroe,  Hyatt Place/Warner Tower, Embassy Suites, Studio C,  possibly (probably?) a new DeVos Place hotel tower, all coming online in the near future.  I understand the present need for more hotel capacity, but I was just curious--is GR's convention business greater than similar mid-sized cities?  How about the concentration of hotels in and near downtown?  It just feels like a lot, so I wonder if that is true and we are an outlier, or if this is par for the course?

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Gross. What a letdown. 

Not exactly "gross". It's still good infill. Should the city put a moratorium on all buildings less than 40 stories? Let's see how that would work out. It's a small, underutilized parking lot.

I personally think a building on this spot (no matter the number of stories) will be do a great job of making Ionia feel more contiguous north and south of Fulton.

55 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

Confirmed that it will be a hotel as well? 

If so, we have that, 50 monroe,  Hyatt Place/Warner Tower, Embassy Suites, Studio C,  possibly (probably?) a new DeVos Place hotel tower, all coming online in the near future.  I understand the present need for more hotel capacity, but I was just curious--is GR's convention business greater than similar mid-sized cities?  How about the concentration of hotels in and near downtown?  It just feels like a lot, so I wonder if that is true and we are an outlier, or if this is par for the course?

Yes, I've heard it's Marriott. Don't know which property.

Joe

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 12:11 PM, joeDowntown said:

Not exactly "gross". It's still good infill. Should the city put a moratorium on all buildings less than 40 stories? Let's see how that would work out. It's a small, underutilized parking lot.

I personally think a building on this spot (no matter the number of stories) will be do a great job of making Ionia feel more contiguous north and south of Fulton.

Yes, I've heard it's Marriott. Don't know which property.

Joe

I think that's pretty cool news. Seems like there would be a new/updated set of plans out somewhere. 

Looks like we will need to change the name of this thread AGAIN to 13. I was just doing some digging around in the Development Center page and saw that yesterday they requested to be on the HPC for approval to construct a 13-story building. We just need to lose another floor and we will be all set for another 12-story building! 

In all seriousness...I actually don't mind Fulton being lined with 12-13 story buildings. It's kind of pretty, especially if it continues. It is indeed sad to lose a 42 story building but alas...the infill would be welcome at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hmm. My sources said 14. Maybe that was including the mechanical floor?

i agree, it doesn’t bother me either. I’d rather have a bunch of smaller buildings pushed up to the street, than a bunch of tall buildings that end up being urban office complexes (Dallas is a good example)  

Hopefully the DeVos place hotel breaks the 20 story threshold and we get some height there. But I’m ok with this property. 

I remember a time 15-20 years ago when ambitious towers would be proposed and then nothing would end up happening.  It happened so often that to this day i'm still a bit skeptical of even small projects breaking ground.  If Hinman had decided to build a 42 story tower 2 years earlier we'd probably be staring at the top of it now.  I'm not surprised at all to see this scaled down.  The apartment market downtown is really too competitive to justify the cost.  Glad they are still proceeding  with another key piece of infill that will line a key avenue with more midrises.  :)

• Like 1