GRDadof3

Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

4 hours ago, GR8scott said:

They would invert the number to be 012 stories...

but really i am I am disappointed as one less space that could have had a promanant feature on the skyline will be another blink of the eye. Also disappointed this now probably means Hampton inn and suites number 7 instead of an actual Hilton. Absurd a market the size GR is doesn’t have a single flagship brad hotel, by far the largest in the country without one....and largest metro in the country without a D1 spirts program and largest without a FM hip hop station and probably largest without an arena that’s a complete bowl and I could go on and on but really kind of fitting how anti-“grand” the visionaries in a lot of ways here 

While we may lack a flagship like most/all of our peer metros, don't forget we have two premium brand hotels that are an echelon above flagship.  I don't think a single one of our peer metros can claim this.   I wouldn't speculate on the brand just yet.  I don't think the flagships are done looking for locations here.  It won't be a Hampton with the one already in Midtown.  If the Hilton brand is not going in that location I'd wait and see. The convention hotel looks to be a much larger/premium location for a flagship brand like a Hilton, perhaps they are waiting for that to come out of feasibility and break ground. :)

Also maybe we'll get lucky and one of the hotels currently under construction will flip brands.  A Hilton going in next to the Warner tower would be way more welcome than Hyatt Place.

To be honest I thought 40+ stories on this tiny lot looked a bit weird. Like something you'd see in Columbia or Mexico City. It is one less place where a skyscraper can punctuate the skyline but there are still plenty of places remaining. 

• Like 1

Honestly, a moratorium on > 12 story buildings may not be a bad thing. After all, who'd buy a penthouse that looks over a hideous castle. 

39 minutes ago, kwl said:

Honestly, a moratorium on > 12 story buildings may not be a bad thing. After all, who'd buy a penthouse that looks over a hideous castle. 

An architect with a penchant for 16th century revivalism .. or Metallica?

2 hours ago, kwl said:

Maybe if they'd designed this thing to actually look attractive ... like a 40 story neogothic tower or castle ... iit wouldn't have fallen flat on its rear end.  :P

I always just assumed it was Hinman's vanity project where money didn't matter.   Seems it wasn't.  Oh well.  

27 minutes ago, x99 said:

Maybe if they'd designed this thing to actually look attractive ... like a 40 story neogothic tower or castle ... iit wouldn't have fallen flat on its rear end.  :P

I always just assumed it was Hinman's vanity project where money didn't matter.   Seems it wasn't.  Oh well.  

As much as I hate it...It's still a very good testament to the American Dream. Like you can still, no matter what what your fantasies are, pretty much do what you want if you have the means. 

3 hours ago, kwl said:

Didn’t realize there was a rush of 12+ story projects in the pipeline. Lol

1 hour ago, x99 said:

He sure talked big like that was the case. He said that he took a lot of pride in eventually having the tallest building in GR. Now it likely won't even be the tallest on his block.

10 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Now it likely won't even be the tallest on his block.

Technically it will, since it'll occupy the entire (tiny) block. :P

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I talked to someone who works with the city and knows project details said theres nothing about a 14 story hotel being talked about for the site. For what it's worth

I heard the bids were due last week. We’ll see!

Joe

6 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I heard the bids were due last week. We’ll see!

Joe

It could have been try just didn't wanna be a leak. It could be they didn't hear.

They told me the 42 story tower is still the plan, but it's stalled and doesn't look good.

42 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I heard they will break ground on this project in October / November. General Contractor has been selected, still 14 stories.

Joe

Gross. What a letdown. 

• Like 1

Confirmed that it will be a hotel as well? 

If so, we have that, 50 monroe,  Hyatt Place/Warner Tower, Embassy Suites, Studio C,  possibly (probably?) a new DeVos Place hotel tower, all coming online in the near future.  I understand the present need for more hotel capacity, but I was just curious--is GR's convention business greater than similar mid-sized cities?  How about the concentration of hotels in and near downtown?  It just feels like a lot, so I wonder if that is true and we are an outlier, or if this is par for the course?

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Gross. What a letdown. 

Not exactly "gross". It's still good infill. Should the city put a moratorium on all buildings less than 40 stories? Let's see how that would work out. It's a small, underutilized parking lot.

I personally think a building on this spot (no matter the number of stories) will be do a great job of making Ionia feel more contiguous north and south of Fulton.

55 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

Confirmed that it will be a hotel as well? 

If so, we have that, 50 monroe,  Hyatt Place/Warner Tower, Embassy Suites, Studio C,  possibly (probably?) a new DeVos Place hotel tower, all coming online in the near future.  I understand the present need for more hotel capacity, but I was just curious--is GR's convention business greater than similar mid-sized cities?  How about the concentration of hotels in and near downtown?  It just feels like a lot, so I wonder if that is true and we are an outlier, or if this is par for the course?

Yes, I've heard it's Marriott. Don't know which property.

Joe

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 12:11 PM, joeDowntown said:

Not exactly "gross". It's still good infill. Should the city put a moratorium on all buildings less than 40 stories? Let's see how that would work out. It's a small, underutilized parking lot.

I personally think a building on this spot (no matter the number of stories) will be do a great job of making Ionia feel more contiguous north and south of Fulton.

Yes, I've heard it's Marriott. Don't know which property.

Joe

I think that's pretty cool news. Seems like there would be a new/updated set of plans out somewhere. 

Dear Meijer Corp, how about a nice tall building downtown?   You're big enough now.

Plan 12 stories but revise to 20  to get 'yays!' but never ever plan 30 downsized to 20.

• Like 3

On June 1, 2018 at 10:36 AM, GRLaker said:

Gross. What a letdown. 

I agree I'm bummed, but at the end of the day this replaces a surface lot and there are getting to be fewer and fewer in downtown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

I'll be the most happy if they stop just talking about it and actually break ground :D 

Completely agree. Bummed about the reduction in height but excited for some new plans and some good infill. 

Looks like we will need to change the name of this thread AGAIN to 13. I was just doing some digging around in the Development Center page and saw that yesterday they requested to be on the HPC for approval to construct a 13-story building. We just need to lose another floor and we will be all set for another 12-story building! 

In all seriousness...I actually don't mind Fulton being lined with 12-13 story buildings. It's kind of pretty, especially if it continues. It is indeed sad to lose a 42 story building but alas...the infill would be welcome at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1