Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, Floyd_Z said:

Well at least this one looks a lot better than Gallery and whatever the other one up the street is called.

They were talking about the road closure on FBHW this morning and how it was supposed to be a lot taller.  I wish,  but infill is good.

FBHW? 

1 hour ago, tSlater said:

Unless they're planning a different graphic, I think I'd rather the half-grown dead ivy.

Agreed. I have often thought that the facade of the garage would look amazing with a really amazing neon installation, or some kind of other graphic light installation. Like what if that yellow-y map-esq thing had little dots of lights like a city from above at night, or maybe a constellation. I am no artist but I think lights could bring some life and "intentionality" to this otherwise massively drab building. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tSlater said:

Unless they're planning a different graphic, I think I'd rather the half-grown dead ivy.

I think I'd rather almost anything but that bright yellow ... uh ... art.  :shok: I'm glad Hinman is at least doing something with decent taste and style.  Hopefully it will help to offset everything on the south side of Fulton.  :good:

Edited by x99

On 1/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, GVSUChris said:

Besides the fence - which is exciting to finally see up - there’s a backhoe that was being fired up as I walked by! Hoping this site will be cleared pretty quickly! 

9B49B639-5AA3-4B9C-B7F4-5FCBE0FDFF80.jpeg

Half of the site is dug up pretty well so far.  I felt bad watching those poor trees being crushed by the backhoe.  Can't they at least TRY to relocate them?

2 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Half of the site is dug up pretty well so far.  I felt bad watching those poor trees being crushed by the backhoe.  Can't they at least TRY to relocate them?

I can only imagine how old those trees are at this point! This caught me off guard, I know some people working in adjacent buildings close to the project who had no idea what was happening when the fencing went up! They thought the lot was getting re-paved :tw_lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I can only imagine how old those trees are at this point! This caught me off guard, I know some people working in adjacent buildings close to the project who had no idea what was happening when the fencing went up! They thought the lot was getting re-paved :tw_lol:

Wow! It's only been in the news for what, the last year and a half. :)

I guess a lot of people probably didn't think it was ever going to happen. 

1 hour ago, sfloria said:

I'm shocked they aren't tearing down that clunky parking ramp and building a more efficient and taller one.  Maybe that's Phase II?

I believe they are adding onto that parking ramp, and adding a skywalk. I know they're building a skywalk for sure but not exactly sure what the parking ramp modifications will be. 

Am I the only person who actually likes that parking ramp?  If they add on to it in the same style, it was be sort of neat.  It has a very interesting midcentury, rocket era aesthetic.  The upper deck almost appears to be impossibly floating over the lower deck, and the interleaving is pretty great, too.  This was clearly a thoughtfully designed parking ramp, and probably not cheap to build this way.  

Edited by x99

20 minutes ago, x99 said:

Am I the only person who actually likes that parking ramp?  If they add on to it in the same style, it was be sort of neat.  It has a very interesting midcentury, rocket era aesthetic.  The upper deck almost appears to be impossibly floating over the lower deck, and the interleaving is pretty great, too.  This was clearly a thoughtfully designed parking ramp, and probably not cheap to build this way.  

Funny, I’ve always loved that ramp. Very mid-century and like you said, not cheap to build, if you go inside and look at the honeycombed ceilings, it’s interesting. I imagine it’s a little scary if driving an SUV.

I’d love it if they restored it and played up its roots. The old teller booth /drivethrough area would be an interesting place to close in and make a small valet area or even tiny coffee spot. 

Joe

13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Funny, I’ve always loved that ramp. Very mid-century and like you said, not cheap to build, if you go inside and look at the honeycombed ceilings, it’s interesting. I imagine it’s a little scary if driving an SUV.

I’d love it if they restored it and played up its roots. The old teller booth /drivethrough area would be an interesting place to close in and make a small valet area or even tiny coffee spot. 

Joe

There is also an underground level to that ramp, as well as a tunnel that leads to 77 Monroe Center.   

16 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Am I the only one that doesn't quite get how the building they are showing in the drawing is going to fit on this plot?

A whole building + outdoor seating, on a plot that isnt even level? That could barely fit the few cars that used to park there?

1789652441_10Ionialanduse-9-7-18.thumb.jpg.08e95e9dec322947155d26a73e967a58.jpg

1263008161_10Ioniasiteplandetail-9-7-18.thumb.jpg.31879d2f92fa9d23b056fb66108dc449.jpg

It does have quite a slope to it. They even had a request into the HPC regarding planter boxes because they were on such a slope. It's a very small footprint which honestly is why I thought it was going to look weird at 42 stories. Like a pencil. 

10 Ionia 11-27-18.JPG

10 Ionia rev east west elevations.JPG

10 Ionia rev south elevation.JPG