Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

36 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Sorry to chuckle, but it totally reminded me of Zoolander (when he's looking at the scale model of the "Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too"). LOL :

Derek Zoolander: What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read if they can’t even fit inside the building?
Mugatu: Derek, this is just a small-
Derek Zoolander: I don’t wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least three times bigger than this!

:)

Joe

zoolander youtube clip

• Like 2

Signage. So exciting. Downtown feels like a real boomtown right now.  I went to a networking event at the AGP this morning and there was a conference going on there. With that, Laughfest, the Home and Garden Show at Devos, etc downtown was insane. The AGP was like Chicago busy, in the morning!

20190301_154919.thumb.jpg.fa204c1549d03cb3612a0aa4c5dbbf12.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 5:50 PM, GVSUChris said:

You can’t really tell from this pic but it’s solid concrete and they’re taking the form apart. I’m actually surprised that this is moving as quickly as it is. 

7347FD96-237C-46DE-A75A-8C3BAB5965FD.jpeg

This concrete pad is completely buried and they’re now excavating what I assume will be the next footings they pour. Also there is a big crane there now. 

9F0792CC-CB09-4267-B0B3-10F1BAC4036C.jpeg

CA726ABF-9EBB-4EBE-8106-BCF74BDC74C5.jpeg

31DB1279-D495-467E-8AA0-500692424660.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/11/2019 at 9:43 AM, wingbert said:

Why do I keep hearing Skee-Lo in my head when I look at that image?

What happened to that building is a damn shame smh such a disappointment...

On 2/13/2019 at 1:36 PM, RegalTDP said:

:yahoo:OMG Skee-Lo was a *prophet* for those of us growing up in suburban Grand Rapids and not of Dutch origin.  It wasn't until I started traveling to other parts of the country I finally learned to accept that my height was actually normal and GR's just full of freakishly tall people. 

image.png.55ec8401a63d6fe5b159d612c7b52095.png  

But if people are underwhelmed by the project's height (or maybe not; maybe they just like making '90s hip-hop jokes :P), I would point out that this picture understates how tall the building will look in person, particularly if standing on the corner of Fulton and Commerce.  The perspective of this picture makes GPRD and 38 Fulton look like comparable buildings.  But at 162', 10 Ionia will dwarf those buildings, be almost twice as tall as the CWD building, and only slightly shorter than Gallery on Fulton.  I like this height given the size of the parcel; it'll add some new corners to downtown, and I don't feel an extra story or two would make all that much difference.

I’m just extremely disappointed in this building and I hate it. I can’t seem to get over how it went from 42 stories to 13. 42 stories would have added so much to our skyline it would have looked amazing driving in from 131...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, acmjames said:

What happened to that building is a damn shame smh such a disappointment...

I’m just extremely disappointed in this building and I hate it. I can’t seem to get over how it went from 42 stories to 13. 42 stories would have added so much to our skyline it would have looked amazing driving in from 131...

I feel let down too. But I'll take a building that is sustainable from a business prospective than  a tall empty building that would flunk business-wise .  Maybe we will see something that will take the title of tallest building in the city sometime in the future. We still have empty lots,  surface lots. So keeping fingers crossed.  Can somebody please build something epic in place of the giant surface lot at Fulton and Market.  That would be great.

Edited by tamias6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

April 5th, almost 2 months ago was the last picture posted on this project.   Come on, you guys are better than that! :)  Or has nothing really happened?  :dontknow:

I walked by last night and didn't seem like a whole lot of anything new as far a versatility has happened.

Don't worry y'all I got this one.  I just walked over and took a quick snap.  This project is in that boring purgatory phase where nothing really seems like it's happening.  They are clearly establishing a footprint, but it's probably a couple months out before it gets interesting to watch. 

47960067056_1d90908c0f_z.jpg

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Don't worry y'all I got this one.  I just walked over and took a quick snap.  This project is in that boring purgatory phase where nothing really seems like it's happening.  They are clearly establishing a footprint, but it's probably a couple months out before it gets interesting to watch. 

Now that's service!   Thank you!  I could be wrong,  but looking at that picture if they are using steel we should start to see this go up in the next 4 weeks!?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tSlater said:

So in order to get to Monroe Center ramp from Ionia & Fountain, that means they have to either temporarily reverse the direction of Ionia or temporarily make it two-way. I wonder how that will work with the traffic lights.

Fountain to Ottawa to Louis to Ionia like you can anytime. The detour is only for folks continuing north on Ionia, not for those trying to get back to the first street past the closure . Contact the city lol