Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

10 hours ago, MJLO said:

Metro GR has four companies of scale that if even one were to move downtown would be a game changer.  Five if you add Steelcase.  They are all firmly entrenched in the suburbs and i'm not sure there would ever be incentive to get them downtown. 

as a for instance, the cost of Meijer adding 300k sq ft of office space to it's existing campus 4 yrs ago was probably a fraction of what it would have cost for it to move downtown.  They would need 500k sq ft or more to replace their current office floor space.  And parking for 2,000+ people.  Their recent addition in walker was done in an existing warehouse space.  And they have enough additional space to add hundreds of thousands of extra sq ft of office if they need it in the future.  They'll never move downtown, although their QA dept and commercial kitchen is downtown on Ionia.  

Edited by scottythe1nonly

1 hour ago, WMrapids said:

Just get some of the billionaires to pay for a Space Needle like structure that has no use but observation. I say we have GRDadofDough be one of the first donors. :lol:

GRDadofDough? I assume this is meant to be a sarcastic swipe at me? FYI I would never donate money to such a folly. :)

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

GRDadofDough? I assume this is meant to be a sarcastic swipe at me? FYI I would never donate money to such a folly. :)

I remember from the other thread :P

But it would be a quick way to get a tower. I don't see a huge office building downtown anytime soon.

Edited by WMrapids
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

I remembers from the other thread :P

But it would be a quick way to get a tower. I don't see a huge office building downtown anytime soon.

My comment about money/income a few months ago was a direct sarcastic response to a discussion that was being quite insensitive to other members and their supposed financial status. It's all good I had forgotten about it until now. 

But I agree, I don't foresee anything. Unless Orion goes big before Wheeler retires or something. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 9:06 AM, GRLaker said:

I can say with 110% certainty that SH will never build a corporate headquarters. They're content with spreading their administrative staff throughout the land and having them drive between buildings for hundreds of meetings in the dead of winter.

I can fully corroborate this!

1 hour ago, scottythe1nonly said:

I am not impressed by the scant details we've seen so far. It will become an iconic part of our skyline.  It should have an iconic design.  So far I'm not counting on that

This project went back to the HPC how many times? At least half a dozen maybe? 

On 8/4/2017 at 2:56 PM, GVSUChris said:

It looks like this project is going before the Design Team (Engineering Department) next week, possibly in regards to the footings needing to go under the public space/sidewalks? Regardless that seems to me to be a good sign. 

Did anyone ever hear the results of the Design Team meeting in August? Are those meeting notes public?

26 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Did anyone ever hear the results of the Design Team meeting in August? Are those meeting notes public?

Yes, they are public and typically the minutes end up in the meeting packs a few weeks later. There hasn't been a meeting in a few weeks so hopefully there will some put out today or next Friday. I'd like to see if there is any info in there as well. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 9:15 AM, scottythe1nonly said:

I am not impressed by the scant details we've seen so far. It will become an iconic part of our skyline.  It should have an iconic design.  So far I'm not counting on that

I expect that what was approved is basically what will be built.  Not "iconic" in any traditional sense.  Almost no one builds "iconic" mid-rise skyscrapers anymore for some reason.  I like to think of them as vertical trailer parks.  You get the same exact thing stacked up floor, after floor, after floor, after floor.  While the building does go vertical, the designs often squander the opportunity to present a vertical design, which results in mediocre crap.  This will be more of the same.  Not Michigan Street level awful, but nothing great.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Well we've already hit the 1 year mark since the approval of this project by the HPC. It says in this article that they anticipate groundbreaking will likely be more than a year out.

https://mibiz.com/item/24179-proposed-hinman-co-40-story-tower-receives-city-approval

I think if we all post positive thoughts, we can will this thing into starting. :) 

• Like 1

I think it'll get built. I'm sure there are a lot of logistics, planning, etc. that need to be done. Also, with 30 floors of apartments, might not be bad to be planning to have the building come online 2-3 years down the road and let some of the other apartment building fill up / sort themselves out. :)

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Johannes said:

Someone on the GR subreddit posted about this project today. I can’t speak to this person’s credibility, but they believe it will not be built. Can anyone corroborate?

Not that surprising. Bad timing. Doesn't he know there is no ROI after 12 stories? :P 

15 hours ago, Johannes said:

Someone on the GR subreddit posted about this project today. I can’t speak to this person’s credibility, but they believe it will not be built. Can anyone corroborate?

Mayor Bliss was interviewed on the Eric Zane show on WBBL a couple of weeks ago, she was talking about development and mentioned that they are still ironing out the details but it's likely that they will be chopping some stories off the top of the building. 

3 minutes ago, ChevalierNoir said:

Mayor Bliss was interviewed on the Eric Zane show on WBBL a couple of weeks ago, she was talking about development and mentioned that they are still ironing out the details but it's likely that they will be chopping some stories off the top of the building. 

I'm sure they will attempt to make it as tall or not much taller than River House or Plaza Towers.

49 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I'm sure they will attempt to make it as tall or not much taller than River House or Plaza Towers.

410ft would be officially taller than Riverhouse.  410/12= 34.16   So you're saying that each floor of the building they end up building will be about 34-35ft per floor?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1