Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

7 hours ago, tSlater said:

So in order to get to Monroe Center ramp from Ionia & Fountain, that means they have to either temporarily reverse the direction of Ionia or temporarily make it two-way. I wonder how that will work with the traffic lights.

It sounds like it's just this section (Ionia between Fulton and Louis) and it says that you'll still be able to access the Ottawa Fulton ramp from Fulton. 

677040376_Ioniaclosure.thumb.jpg.2dd607e0c2c550abc26a3a33b639b19a.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 5:29 PM, Raildude's dad said:

No little piece  of street on Monroe or Pearl to park a crane in the street like this site.

So you're thinking that THE crane? Doesn't seem tall enough to do a 13 story building, unless it can be greatly expanded. 

8 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

So you're thinking that THE crane? Doesn't seem tall enough to do a 13 story building, unless it can be greatly expanded. 

It seems a tad short but why go to the $$ to erect a lattice boom tracked crane there? I would think all the boom would be put in now, not added later. Is it going to be cast in place concrete? Pump all the concretion up there in that case? Time will tell. Erickson's looks to have 2 tower's in their yard yet.

48 minutes ago, arcturus said:

Any serious talk about relocating GRPD and whoever else is in the building to clear the way for redevelopment?  That's one hideous looking structure and rapidly becoming out of place with everything popping up around it.

I would love to see this happen. The police department filled a white elephant downtown, but agree, times have changed and that spot is ripe for redevelopment. Don’t know the economics on if/when this could happen.

I used to work in the San Chez building and it was fun to watch the SWAT team get ready for a raid. 

Joe

• Like 1

I liked the fact that the police station is at the main crossroads of GR, but it is a bit out-of-place now, and it looks too fortress-like.

If it did move, I would like to see it somewhere between Wealthy and Franklin, along S. Division. That would make it a major catalyst for redevelopment if for no other reasons than having lots of hungry officers to frequent the DT Market, easier access for squad cars to get in and out, and as a major safety presence in the area.

If the project at Wealthy and Division falls through, that would be an excellent spot!

19 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

It seems a tad short but why go to the $$ to erect a lattice boom tracked crane there? I would think all the boom would be put in now, not added later. Is it going to be cast in place concrete? Pump all the concretion up there in that case? Time will tell. Erickson's looks to have 2 tower's in their yard yet.

You're right and they had to bring in a ton of base material for that tracker crane. It looks like it will be there for a while. Still doesn't explain why they closed Ionia though...

On 6/16/2019 at 11:35 AM, arcturus said:

Any serious talk about relocating GRPD and whoever else is in the building to clear the way for redevelopment?  That's one hideous looking structure and rapidly becoming out of place with everything popping up around it.

This is intriguing, but would take a lot of factors coming together. 

First, relocating the police department, the federal bankruptcy courts, and the Secretary of State. That would take three different public organizations outlaying capital money for new facilities. I guess they did it when the building was converted from Mackie's World, but that could be tough to replicate.

Second, the site is huge, and oddly shaped, and has frontage on Monroe Center, Fulton, Division, and Louis.  So the design and tenant/use mix would be another challenge.  You'd want retail on Monroe Center for sure, and at least big windows on Fulton and Division, if not retail for them as well. And with the size, do you do multiple smaller towers rising out of a base?

Third, demolition and construction. It's a large and sturdy building...I suspect demolition costs would be very high. And then construction costs could be pretty high, too, especially with the high pedestrian and auto traffic nearby. 

Fourth, history. That was Herpolsheimer's and then City Center and then Mackie's World. People have fond memories of it and may come out of the woodwork to oppose demolition. 

Fifth, the market. That would be a Studio Park-sized project. We might have to go through another bust and boom cycle before it becomes feasible. 

All that said, a redevelopment on that site could be really, really cool. Especially if it did a good job architecturally of addressing Monument Square and also contributed better to the vibrancy of that block of Monroe Center better than the current police HQ. 

Edited by Khorasaurus1

3 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

This is intriguing, but would take a lot of factors coming together. 

First, relocating the police department, the federal bankruptcy courts, and the Secretary of State. That would take three different public organizations outlaying capital money for new facilities. I guess they did it when the building was converted from Mackie's World, but that could be tough to replicate.

Second, the site is huge, and oddly shaped, and has frontage on Monroe Center, Fulton, Division, and Louis.  So the design and tenant/use mix would be another challenge.  You'd want retail on Monroe Center for sure, and at least big windows on Fulton and Division, if not retail for them as well. And with the size, do you do multiple smaller towers rising out of a base?

Third, demolition and construction. It's a large and sturdy building...I suspect demolition costs would be very high. And then construction costs could be pretty high, too, especially with the high pedestrian and auto traffic nearby. 

Fourth, history. That was Herpolsheimer's and then City Center and then Mackie's World. People have fond memories of it and may come out of the woodwork to oppose demolition. 

Fifth, the market. That would be a Studio Park-sized project. We might have to go through another bust and boom cycle before it becomes feasible. 

All that said, a redevelopment on that site could be really, really cool. Especially if it did a good job architecturally of addressing Monument Square and also contributed better to the vibrancy of that block of Monroe Center better than the current police HQ. 

I thought that Peter Secchia was involved with that deal to make it the police dept. Some kind of land swap? I seem to remember it was controversial at the time, especially with the Colvins closing Mackey's World under a cloud of using taxpayer dollars to make it happen. 

I seem to recall that the GRPD basically got the building for free. Anyone else remember the deets? 

I don't remember specifically, but I thought there was a strong argument at the time to have a decentralized police department and then this location was present for use and perhaps were "forced" (seems too strong). I could easily see the PD de-centralizing and spreading out among the city's wards and this building becoming available. I do not see the current tenants as road block to this building getting developed like the USPS is with their building. I imagine Khorasaurus1's points 3 and 5 are the real barriers to this building getting developed. It has the potential to be a massive project, but where is the money for that currently or within the next 5 years?

2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

This is interesting - something in the back of my mind reminds me that this building was large precast concrete? I noticed these two flatbeds this am and wonder if that’s how the whole thing will go up? It’s feeling like we are close to vertical! 

E4122EF2-7F27-402D-8445-43E6B3BC5908.jpeg

0B728434-3AA5-43CC-9D2C-E963A51EF9FC.jpeg

Wonder if they're getting them from Kerksta, because once again their yard is bursting at the seams along I-196. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raildude's dad said:

The trailer mudflap says Timpson Transport.  AFAIK they haul most if not all the Kerkstra stuff from the Grandville plant

Sleuthy! So GR's next "skyscraper" is laying all over the ground in Grandville right now, next to the Grandville Castle! The GVille Castle is envious of its sexy design I'm sure, even in horizontal mode. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wonder if they're getting them from Kerksta, because once again their yard is bursting at the seams along I-196. 

I second that observation,  from daily my commute. Kerkstra is teaming with activity. They've had a 'help wanted' flag/banner hanging facing the highway for months too. 

Edited by thebeerqueer