Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

hinman1.jpg

A couple of thoughts:

1.  At least in the photo, the rough concrete finish in the upper floors doesn’t look bad.  It actually seems to add some more character to the building.  I’ll have to wait for a final evaluation when I see it in person.

2.  Are those water stains on the lower floors going to go away after all the construction is complete or are they possibly an unexpected feature of the design?  I know what we see there now is going to evaporate but if they reappear after every rain or melt, I would think eventually we will see mineral or some other kind of stains build up on the façade. 

1 hour ago, walker said:

A couple of thoughts:

1.  At least in the photo, the rough concrete finish in the upper floors doesn’t look bad.  It actually seems to add some more character to the building.  I’ll have to wait for a final evaluation when I see it in person.

2.  Are those water stains on the lower floors going to go away after all the construction is complete or are they possibly an unexpected feature of the design?  I know what we see there now is going to evaporate but if they reappear after every rain or melt, I would think eventually we will see mineral or some other kind of stains build up on the façade. 

In my opinion, the rough concrete looks worse in person (much more variation in color/unfinished look - but that makes sense since they'll be sealing it to match the first two floors). 

I think the water stains are just leftover rain spots from last night. I'm sure it's not a big issue / probably dry by now. Probably more an issue with how wet it's been / when I took the pics.

Joe

18 hours ago, walker said:

A couple of thoughts:

Agreed, those will look stained after a while in my opinion. Rain mixed with "urban soot" will start to leave a mark in those spots if they consistently pool water to those areas. Maybe they're going to "seal" the concrete? 

On 10/19/2019 at 8:39 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Agreed, those will look stained after a while in my opinion. Rain mixed with "urban soot" will start to leave a mark in those spots if they consistently pool water to those areas. Maybe they're going to "seal" the concrete? 

Like the castle?

20190728_132957.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, gvsusean said:

That place looks awful...like a prison

Yep. It gives my in-laws from three larger cities throughout the country ammo to tease us with whenever they pass it.

Regarding sealing it, it is amazing to me that they didn't do that with the castle. I hope Hinman learns from the castle's cautionary tale. 

10 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Yep. It gives my in-laws from three larger cities throughout the country ammo to tease us with whenever they pass it.

Regarding sealing it, it is amazing to me that they didn't do that with the castle. I hope Hinman learns from the castle's cautionary tale. 

The hinman building will be sealed/painted to match the first two floors. Walker confirmed it with Hinman Co. 

Joe

11 hours ago, organsnyder said:

More authentic that way?

I suppose so!

But it makes me think of that long abandoned hotel in Pyongyang (that I believe is now a government building over there)

It just has that unfinished abandoned project look..  and it's awful. And I have a hard time believing that they are going to leave it like that, despite the building being occupied. I just cant imagine anyone thinking that it's okay.

18 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The hinman building will be sealed/painted to match the first two floors. Walker confirmed it with Hinman Co. 

Joe

Just for the record, it wasn't me.  I think it was mpchicago:

On 10/7/2019 at 7:55 AM, mpchicago said:

Here's the scoop, as I reached out to Hinman:

The first 3 floors are made with a special sand mix concrete to simulate limestone.

Floors 4 - 13 are made with standard concrete.  Next summer, before the project is complete we will put on a high performance coating that will closely match the limestone look of the first 3 floors.

So, I guess it will be "painted."  Not sure what coating they will use, but here is something that I would suspect is probable.

http://usscproducts.com/specialty-coatings/concrete-protective-coatings/lithium-concrete-coating-cosi-/p/287/416

On 10/26/2019 at 12:39 PM, SupercityGR said:

Could you imagine 42 floors though!!!

Hell, what about 25? 

That's sort of my benchmark for our next tower. We need variation and more height.

46 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

7th floor is up and you can see a test of the sealant/color. 

464677E1-A122-416D-8099-E7026454F4CC.jpeg

931059BE-8C83-4846-9C71-35905303F6E9.jpeg

I love this project so much. I cant wait to see what it does to the street traffic when it's open. Nothing better than seeing people out and about.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...