Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

2 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

This fell off page 1, and has been a whole 3 weeks since I've seen an updated pic!  Can someone take a nice couple of pics for me here in Chicago? :D

I have pretty great views of it from my home but scale/effect are lost from this perspective. That said, I walk past it every day on my way to my office and will try to take some pics today. It actually slowed down for a bit while they addressed some damage to the concrete but they're trucking along again as of yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

This fell off page 1, and has been a whole 3 weeks since I've seen an updated pic!  Can someone take a nice couple of pics for me here in Chicago? :D

I'll swing by today and see what I can get. I didn't realize it slow down due to damaged concrete, but the pace has been noticeably slower. They added most of the 8th floor yesterday and most of the windows on the first floor are in. They also started building an exterior elevator on the north side. 

I know it won't happen, but I keep hoping to see an announcement that they're adding a few more floors. :) This project looks so good, even an extra 4-5 stories would give it a nice presence in the skyline. It's very "stately". :)

Joe

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

I have pretty great views of it from my home but scale/effect are lost from this perspective. That said, I walk past it every day on my way to my office and will try to take some pics today. It actually slowed down for a bit while they addressed some damage to the concrete but they're trucking along again as of yesterday. 

Awesome thanks GVSUChris and Joe!  What happened to the concrete??!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Here are some photos today. I have no idea what they had to repair that slowed them down (heard that from @GVSUChris's post). I did notice that on the 7th floor, the panel to the right of the curving windows (in my photos) didn't look like it lined up well. You could see a crack of daylight even after it was set in place. Looked troubling. I see there is some sort of material attached to that panel now. Maybe that was the issue? I love how the building looks driving north on Ionia. With 5 more levels, it should get even better. 

IMG_8632.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8636.jpg

IMG_8637.jpg

Dare I say it's starting to look like a real city! 

Again I was driving up Fulton today going East, and I was stunned by the mass of this building. You're right Joe, another 4 - 5 floors would be really cool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Again I was driving up Fulton today going East, and I was stunned by the mass of this building. You're right Joe, another 4 - 5 floors would be really cool. 

Another 34 would be better..... :tw_love:

There's still time to divert back to the original plan right?  Right??????

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Man, do I wish this thing was a few stories taller to stick out among the cluster of buildings near the same height.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, appreciate the update!    Sure, the building could be taller, but they got the proportions right.  That's one of the things that bugs me about the Warner building.   I feel like the entrance to that building is squat.  like you are going into a cave.  It should have a grand 2 story entrance like all tall...er buildings should.  

• Like 3

Tower cranes need a big left in place concrete foundation or a big temporary one like the one in the church parking lot used for the VIA.  The city may have not permitted a big temporary foundation in the street due to buried utilities.  The tower crane in the middle of the  building may have been a no go. Maybe  the big crawler lattice boom was cheaper.

3 minutes ago, Raildude's dad said:

Tower cranes need a big left in place concrete foundation or a big temporary one like the one in the church parking lot used for the VIA.  The city may have not permitted a big temporary foundation in the street due to buried utilities.  The tower crane in the middle of the  building may have been a no go. Maybe  the big crawler lattice boom was cheaper.

Apparently that's called a "sacrificial base" I learned last year :) ,when they leave the tower crane foundation, usually underneath the base of an elevator shaft. Maybe it was cheaper, or maybe the footprint was too constricted to make it work. 

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

I'm struck by the contrast in picture 2 of what's to become one of the nicest looking buildings next to the bunker known as GRPD.

Indeed. It truly was a shot in the arm for downtown when they put the police department in that buidling. But I’m hoping at some point they move out and redevelop that corner. A good bulldozin’ would be nice (in my opinion). 

Joe

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Indeed. It truly was a shot in the arm for downtown when they put the police department in that buidling. But I’m hoping at some point they move out and redevelop that corner. A good bulldozin’ would be nice (in my opinion). 

Joe

It seriously needs an overhaul at the very least, but either way you will have a fight with the people that will want to "preserve" what was Herpolsheimer's/City Center.

I would rather see the police HQ at the corner of Wealthy and S. Division anyway. It would really improve that area drastically, and I'm sure the cops would like to be in a spot with much better access in and out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It seriously needs an overhaul at the very least, but either way you will have a fight with the people that will want to "preserve" what was Herpolsheimer's/City Center.

I would rather see the police HQ at the corner of Wealthy and S. Division anyway. It would really improve that area drastically, and I'm sure the cops would like to be in a spot with much better access in and out.

Do you think there would actually be a historic preservation attempt? I personally doubt the it. The facade has been changed over and over again. It was an italianate facade until the herpolsheimers move.

Doesn’t really matter at this point, but I don’t think the police station is the best use of space at this point. 

Joe

21 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I honestly don't think there's any willpower at the city to do something like this, growth-oriented, for the time being. There's a been a lot of changeover at the city and it seems like they're more concerned about affordable housing, police problems, and coddling the homeless. 

Look at all of the city sites that have been talked about for redevelopment or waterfront parks where we're now going on 5 - 10+ years with nothing happening. Lyon Square? Multiple parking ramp/development projects?  The corner at Ionia/Fulton? 201 Market. 

36 minutes ago, kwl said:

Given that they literally lopped stories off of this, would it be easy to add floors in the future since it's prefab concrete?

I doubt it.  Pure speculation on my part, but my guess is that chopping off 300 ft of building to make it cheaper means less reinforcements etc needed to build higher. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I honestly don't think there's any willpower at the city to do something like this, growth-oriented, for the time being. There's a been a lot of changeover at the city and it seems like they're more concerned about affordable housing, police problems, and coddling the homeless. 

Look at all of the city sites that have been talked about for redevelopment or waterfront parks where we're now going on 5 - 10+ years with nothing happening. Lyon Square? Multiple parking ramp/development projects?  The corner at Ionia/Fulton? 201 Market. 

Agreed. Read an article with the City Manager and Mayor saying "there's nothing to see here" with so many people leaving. In my experience, the fact that they have to state that there isn't a problem, usually indicates there's a problem. :)

Joe

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Couldn't you "preserve" the facade while adding height within the core? Like create a base that uses the existing headquarters facade while a taller building rises out of it?

Kinda like the McKay tower?

4 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Couldn't you "preserve" the facade while adding height within the core? Like create a base that uses the existing headquarters facade while a taller building rises out of it?

Kinda like the McKay tower?

Unless there is something historic underneath, like there was with the AC Hotel, I wouldn’t think that the facade would be worth saving.