Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Now that you can see this building poking up from all over downtown, I really wish it had been at least 20 stories. What a missed opportunity for such a nice looking building. 

typical West Michigan poor decision when it comes to architectural planning.  The design is awesome but it could've been so much better with just a little more effort.  Same with the JW.  I love it, but it would've been better if it was taller by even 5 stories.  I've always felt the Icon on Bond building was a really big missed opportunity and great location  for a building that was different and a real icon than the complete opposite of an icon that we have now.  

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, jthrasher said:

typical West Michigan poor decision when it comes to architectural planning.  The design is awesome but it could've been so much better with just a little more effort.  Same with the JW.  I love it, but it would've been better if it was taller by even 5 stories.  I've always felt the Icon on Bond building was a really big missed opportunity and great location  for a building that was different and a real icon than the complete opposite of an icon that we have now.  

I’m guessing it didn’t have anything to do with architectural planning but rather how do you finance it if you don’t have committed tenants upfront for those additional floors. After all, this is the same firm that originally announced a forty-two-story building on this site.

18 minutes ago, walker said:

I’m guessing it didn’t have anything to do with architectural planning but rather how do you finance it if you don’t have committed tenants upfront for those additional floors. After all, this is the same firm that originally announced a forty-two-story building on this site.

I know it always comes down to finances but I still wish there was more planning to make sure design in all aspects was priority.  That being said I LOVE the Hinman design.  This will be my favorite building in GR.  It would just be better if it was taller.  But I'm happy with it as is too. 

• Like 1

From what Hinman said, the size difference all came down to economics. At 42, it was a different design / 2 separate elevators, lobbies, etc. When they cut the apartments out due to a soft market (wonder if they wish they’d kept the apartment component). 

I’m sure the size of the building was based on the tenants needs. I heard that this project was a pain to bid, and they kept asking them to re-bid based on changing tenants requirements.

It would be interesting to hear the whole story. Maybe Hinman wanted something a bit taller with a single tenant, but they were adamant?

i agree with everyone though, I wish they’d say “dang, this building is beautiful, let’s add a few more floors” (pipe dream).  Even 2 or 3 floors would give it just enough height to stand out. 

Joe

• Like 1

20 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

From what Hinman said, the size difference all came down to economics. At 42, it was a different design / 2 separate elevators, lobbies, etc. When they cut the apartments out due to a soft market (wonder if they wish they’d kept the apartment component). 

I’m sure the size of the building was based on the tenants needs. I heard that this project was a pain to bid, and they kept asking them to re-bid based on changing tenants requirements.

It would be interesting to hear the whole story. Maybe Hinman wanted something a bit taller with a single tenant, but they were adamant?

i agree with everyone though, I wish they’d say “dang, this building is beautiful, let’s add a few more floors” (pipe dream).  Even 2 or 3 floors would give it just enough height to stand out. 

Joe

The footprint of the Hinman is pretty small by high-rise standards. By doing hotel AND apartments, you have to provide lobbies for each user and that may have really turned off potential hotel operators, who want a downtown/urban feel to their hotel with a full service restaurant. That's just me speculating though. 

I wonder when we'll see the skywalk go on that attaches to the parking ramp.

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

It's peaking over the top of the steam plant when you are on the expressway. It also covers the GRPD building, which is nice. 

I never noticed the Priority Health sign on the red building. Is that new? 

Joe

Relatively new. I worked for Spectrum out of that building until 1.5 years ago, and it wasn't up while I was there. There also wasn't an official PH presence in the building then (though many of us IS folks did work for PH as well as SH). My guess is PH people have moved in after the completion of the SH project that was occupying the majority of the space there.

2 minutes ago, gvsusean said:

look so stubby :( definitly needed to be a min. of 20 stories...

Uhuh. The design has a sense of permanence and stature to it that fits a taller building, like you'd see in a bigger city. Looks like the top half was chopped off. Bummer. 

17 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Uhuh. The design has a sense of permanence and stature to it that fits a taller building, like you'd see in a bigger city. Looks like the top half was chopped off. Bummer. 

I still think it looks decent, but definitly not as good as I thought when the base was getting worked on. Weird how more of the same could have made it look better...

30 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Agreed. While this will still be one of my favorite buildings, it still has a sense that it needed 5-10 more stories. I love that it does feel quite massive as you walk by it though; considering it was once a tiny little parking lot.

• Like 1