Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The lobby is on the second level, right? Have they announced a tenant for the first, or will it be a restaurant run by the hotel?

Joe

In a permit filed with the city is says it will be a “National upscale burger chain...” which of course has me speculating. Is it just me or does it feel like downtown GR is seeing some really solid and sustainable growth as some more national scale things enter the market?  I’m hopeful. 

• Like 3

I know there is at least one triangle shaped Shake Shack in existence. I ate there in Seattle. They do tend to enter a market in urban areas, and i think here, Studio Park, or Bridge st make the most sense. I was actually driving by the Residents Inn this week and thought it would be a good fit for Shake Shack. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

I know there is at least one triangle shaped Shake Shack in existence. I ate there in Seattle. They do tend to enter a market in urban areas, and i think here, Studio Park, or Bridge st make the most sense. I was actually driving by the Residents Inn this week and thought it would be a good fit for Shake Shack. 

If it's a Shake Shack, it'll do REALLY well.

Joe

• Like 1

I remember Woodland Mall announcing they had designs on bringing in Shake Shack as part of their renovation.  There weren't any open yet in Michigan at that point, but since then they've opened in Detroit and Ann Arbor (grumble :angry:).

I agree this would be a better location.  They can leave their trash craft beer in Brooklyn though :P

Edited by RegalTDP

20 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

This is the only mention of Grand Rapids that I’ve seen from Shake Shack

https://mobile.twitter.com/shakeshack/status/1214575307421868033?lang=en

• 4 weeks later...

WZZM did a story on downtown development, most of it was nothing new to anyone who reads this forum. They did say that 2 new “food oriented” tenants will be coming to the ground floor space at the Residence Inn. Said they should be announcing it soon. We had heard about an upscale burger place, but I hadn’t heard about two before. 

Joe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

WZZM did a story on downtown development, most of it was nothing new to anyone who reads this forum. They did say that 2 new “food oriented” tenants will be coming to the ground floor space at the Residence Inn. Said they should be announcing it soon. We had heard about an upscale burger place, but I hadn’t heard about two before. 

Joe

I also caught “new to the market” tenants which is great 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, egrguy said:

I still feel DT needs a stand alone Starbucks. Shake shack would have been nice, but like the fact they got a new to the metro company to locate there.

So it sounds like the other space will also be an new to the metro company. I too was hoping for/expecting Starbucks. With that said, I was talking with a friend this past weekend who told me a stand alone corporate Starbucks will be opening downtown, so that’s promising. I had assumed until today that it would be in this hotel but I guess it’s time to start re-guessing. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I assume this is going in the space along Ionia? Not the retail space at the "apex" by the police station? 

Yeah, they talk about outdoor dining on Ionia. I never realized there was space on the east side of the building. I had figured the 2 tenants would split the space that fronts Ionia. 

Joe

6 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Has anyone been to a Wahlburgers?  Is it that great or just kind of a gimicky restaurant?

Pretty good burger but not life-changing.  Actually I don't think it's all that gimmicky... Other than a few references to movies on the walls, the ambiance is similar to other trendy fast casual joints.  Personally I prefer Shake Shack or Five Guys, but YMMV.  Will be a good addition for downtown.  Hopefully it will endure longer than Bagger Dave’s :silly:

Edited by RegalTDP