Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

Reasons to suspect that it's Market & Fulton (or, at least, that something is brewing there):

1. The Charley's Crab property was sold to "63 MARKET AVENUE HOLDINGS LLC" for $5.5 million back in 2008. On the Michigan business entity search website, the resident agent for 63 Market Ave Holdings is identified as RDV Corp.

2. The Amway Hotel Corporation purchased the surface lot between Charley's Crab and Fulton for $10.5 million in 2006.

3. A permit was pulled for soil boring at 3 Market Ave SW back in 2013.

18 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Yes, but will it be reduced to 12 stories (at best) by ground break due to economic feasibility? 

Or have 38 stories of screened parking...

On a serious note - this is exciting, but what would go in a 42 story building? Mixed use with hotel? Company moving DT?

Would the 5/3 site be another possible location?

• Like 1

I actually hope that it's N. Monroe, somewhere between Jefferson and S. Division, or South of the S-Curve.

Better it be in a spot that needs major development and serves as a catalyst for other developments to spring up around it, and causing some sweet infill, than it be scrunched-up in an existing area in the middle of DT.

Monroe-Market/Fulton seems like a massive footprint for a 42-floor building.  Unless what they need to do is -huge- it'd likely be far more efficient to spread out on the parcel than to build upward.  42 is some 10 floors more than Riverhouse, ja?  I'm going to guess it's something further inside the city where there's no longer much open land but still demand for things to happen.  I'm going to guess it's one of three places: Monroe/Louis, Monroe Center/Pearl/Ottawa, or something to replace the 5-storey 5/3 bank building being vacated.

This has the potential to be the 3rd or 4th tallest building in the state of Michigan behind renaissance building, one Detroit center and penebscot based on the stories of the buildings.. I believe there is a good chance it will be on fulton and market.. Exciting for our downtown and skyline!

30 minutes ago, kevin8gr said:

This would be great, hopefully it happens. I would think it would be some kind of residential since there doesn't seem to be a great need for new office space downtown.

There's no way it can be all residential though, right? And I can't imagine another hotel proposal for downtown. 

Is there any significance to the announcement being around 4th of July? I wonder? Just spitballin. 

MSU hasn't issued their RFP yet.   Hinman is planning a 20-40 story tower on their triangle, but I don't think it's finalized yet.   It would include a hotel and cantilever over Louis st to their parking deck.   

4 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

And I can't imagine another hotel proposal for downtown. 

The last few times I wanted to stay downtown, I couldn't get a room. One was during a conference that I was going to, but one was on my anniversary on a weeknight in August.  We had to stay up by the ballpark. I tried to book AGP for our anniversary this year and two nights were already gone there and I was booking 4 months in advance.  It seems like there's a need for more rooms (based on my non-scientific research).  Plus, it's really getting pricey down there for hotel rooms. Who knows?  Wait and see I guess...

10 minutes ago, urbanland said:

MSU hasn't issued their RFP yet.   Hinman is planning a 20-40 story tower on their triangle, but I don't think it's finalized yet.   It would include a hotel and cantilever over Louis st to their parking deck.   

Good info. That could be it. 

So ... There's actually a perfectly rational place for it:  The proposed "Warner Tower" site.  There was no reason ever to design this as an ugly little building on the cheap.  That said, I doubt anyone had the wisdom to redesign that particular mess of a project.  On the bright side, if this news is true, it would immediately wipe off any shine that mess of building otherwise might have had.  What was intended to be something of a vanity project would immediately look second class and second rate.  Instead of that "beautiful new Warner Tower" it becomes "that silly little Warner Shack".  Ouuuuch.  Hopefully this news reshuffles the deck chairs a bit and fixes that project.

My money (which, admittedly, is $0.00) is on a corporate headquarters.  That's a limited universe, with Amway arguably the best candidate.  The cost of a 42 story building for them would really be peanuts, if you try to contemplate just how much billions and billions of dollars really is.  And when you are trying to impress people coming to your "world headquarters" a 42 story building does that job a thousand times better than some low-slung building in a floodplain in the middle of nowhere.  Just sayin'.  Now, if Amway does it, perhaps it would finally push Meijer to make a move.  I hear there's space at the corner of Ottawa and Pearl and a really great plan from about 10 years ago just waiting in the wings....  

As for location, I agree in the "actual" downtown would be best.  The corner of the 5/3 site would be great.  But the vacant land option on Fulton seems more likely since there would be ample room for parking decks.

I suppose this could be Hinman, but spending this much money on a new construction tower would be rather completely out of character.  Hinman proposing a 40 story tower would be a complete surprise.