Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Did you look at the site plan I posted? It shows a restaurant on the East corner and retail facing Ionia. I dont think there needs to be another ramp on Fulton, that's for sure. 

That's not a restaurant, there's only three 4-person tables and four 2-person tables indoors.  I actually thought at first it was a common area for tenants, but more likely it's a cafe or coffee shop.

I didn't say they wouldn't offer dining, I was just speculating how it would be situated.

Edited by RegalTDP

21 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

That's not a restaurant, there's only three 4-person tables and four 2-person tables indoors.  I actually thought at first it was a common area for tenants, but more likely it's a cafe or coffee shop.

I didn't say they wouldn't offer dining, I was just speculating how it would be situated.

Sorry, cafe' space. Like Joe said, I don't think you need to have an onsite restaurant in that location. Plus 12 floors x probably 6 - 8 rooms per floor is not a large hotel. 

I'm wondering which Hilton brand this is slated to be? Two more days! 

The first thing I thought about with the Hinman proposal was elevators.  Can you charge enough rent in Grand Rapids to cover the cost of elevators in a building with such a small footprint?  Even in Manhattan, for a building with an even smaller footprint, can you charge enough to pay for the elevators?  What about the engineering of it and the elevator wait time?.

On 7/3/2016 at 0:47 AM, WMrapids said:

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sorry, cafe' space. Like Joe said, I don't think you need to have an onsite restaurant in that location. Plus 12 floors x probably 6 - 8 rooms per floor is not a large hotel. 

I certainly hope it's a flagship Hilton since they got rid of the one out on 28th street, thus leaving the entire metro area of over a million without a single flagship branded hotel, kind of pathetic

also if the embassy/garden gets built, plus the new Hampton, the homewood under construction and the grand plaza operating as a curio, Hilton brands are well represented downtown and leaves only a regular Hilton as an option not already there?

Edited by GR8scott

The building won't cantilever over Louis as originally planned because of the difficult process of obtaining air rights.   It won't have balconies on all sides for the same reason.  

1 hour ago, urbanland said:

The building won't cantilever over Louis as originally planned because of the difficult process of obtaining air rights.   It won't have balconies on all sides for the same reason.  

Interesting. I could see the cantilever being a problem but I never knew a balcony would be a problem. :)

Joe

Regarding the restaurant, I've worked in the hospitality industry for quite some time.  Whether or not you have onsite food and beverage plays a big role in diamond and other ratings.  A hotel without a full service restaurant, lounge, and bar will most likely not receive more than 2 diamonds from AAA.  For four diamond, you usually have to have an upscale restaurant with room service for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  For five diamond, you must have multiple F&B outlets with 24 hr room service..   As you can guess, if you have 24 hr room service, from 9PM-5am, you will maybe have one order depending on your clientele and groups in house.  Even though it was a revenue loser, both of the hotels I have worked at kept it in place just for those ratings.

On 7/2/2016 at 10:51 PM, joeDowntown said:

It looks to me like the parking lot is 4 stories. I'm sure a more modern ramp would fit a decent number of cars.

From everything I see, it looks a pretty nice design. And anyone questioning the lot size, remember, there was a pretty substantial building on this before. It's not as small as it looks.

Joe

No, they aren't.  They should be around 10,000 square feet, which is fairly close to the size of the tower sections of McKay Tower, Michigan National Bank, People's Building, J.W., and Amway.  It looks a lot smaller than it actually is.  

On July 4, 2016 at 7:34 AM, GRDadof3 said:

So are they announcing this officially tomorrow?

edit....

Duh. Today is the HPC meeting. 

Edited by mgreven

4 hours ago, x99 said:

No, they aren't.  They should be around 10,000 square feet, which is fairly close to the size of the tower sections of McKay Tower, Michigan National Bank, People's Building, J.W., and Amway.  It looks a lot smaller than it actually is.  

I don't even understand what you are saying. What should be around 10,000 sq. feet? 

All I said is the lot has fit a building on it before (true). The lot can fit a building on it now (true). We don't have to agree, but quit being difficult just for the sake of being difficult. I'm serious, you've been warned. 

Joe

7 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I don't even understand what you are saying. What should be around 10,000 sq. feet? 

All I said is the lot has fit a building on it before (true). The lot can fit a building on it now (true). We don't have to agree, but quit being difficult just for the sake of being difficult. I'm serious, you've been warned. 

Joe

And I'm pretty sure the footprint of the above skyscraper in New York has to be smaller than this lot, right?

Edited by ironyisadeadscene

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

Sorry... I was agreeing.  What I meant was "No, it isn't that small".  The square footage on each floor is around 10,000sf, which is about the same as all the other buildings that I mentioned.

33 minutes ago, x99 said:

Sorry... I was agreeing.  What I meant was "No, it isn't that small".  The square footage on each floor is around 10,000sf, which is about the same as all the other buildings that I mentioned.

Ah, sorry. I didn't understand what you meant. Carry on. :) Should be interesting to see the full plans (and hopefully a timeline) today.

Joe

Mlive at its best. I was reading the article and it ended so upbuptly, I thought I missed part of the article. :)

was anyone at the meeting. What are the next steps to appease the HPC? Did they have a timeframe to start construction? Any details on the parking structure?

Joe

MIBIz has an article with a bit more substance (quality). Sounds like they need to come back to the HPC with material suggestions, and Hinman is eager to get it done by the next meeting. Also has a nice rendering with a different parking structure than exists currently. Interestingly, no skywalk in the rendering. Maybe they left it out on purpose and take that up with the planning commission?

https://mibiz.com/item/23797-plans-for-42-story-tower-stalled-until-developer-provides-further-design-details-to-grand-rapids-hpc

Joe

28 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

MIBIz has an article with a bit more substance (quality). Sounds like they need to come back to the HPC with material suggestions, and Hinman is eager to get it done by the next meeting. Also has a nice rendering with a different parking structure than exists currently. Interestingly, no skywalk in the rendering. Maybe they left it out on purpose and take that up with the planning commission?

https://mibiz.com/item/23797-plans-for-42-story-tower-stalled-until-developer-provides-further-design-details-to-grand-rapids-hpc

Joe

Yes the skywalk requires special land use from the planning commission. Because parking deck is outside the HPC boundaries that and the skywalk appear left to the PC

• Like 1

Great news!  :D  Nice to see this will move forward with the height intact.  I have to imagine getting that approved was really the big hurdle.  Architectural details are easy enough to tweak until it gets approved.  Changing the height is much, much more difficult.  From the mLive article, "complement existing buildings" I read as they're looking or something a more referential to the existing design precedents in Heartside, along with some more detailed plans per MIBiz.  That shouldn't be that hard to do.

3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

It sounds like Hinman is bound and determined to make this happen, and have the tallest building in downtown GR. Hubris/pride/ego is hard to stop once it gets revved up. :)

I consider this one of those rare cases where I'm ok with Hubris/ego/Pride.

• Like 2