The Dream Hotel will be the official name of the repurposed and new additions to the former Utopia (1887) and Climax (1891) Hotels that face Fourth Avenue North and stretch eastward back to Printers Alley. This will also include revitalization of the infamous Printers Alley entertainment district that has it's roots back to the Civil War era. 

The new boutique hotel will comprise elements from the original buildings along with several new sections.  It will be 10 stories tall (about 120 feet), and feature 169 rooms.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/06/22/boutique-luxury-brand-signs-deal-to-open-printers.html

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/06/22/dream-nashville-hotel-coming-printers-alley/86242122/

http://www.theprintersalley.com

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/with-the-reopening-of-skulls-rainbow-room-in-printers-alley-we-visit-a-story-of-music-burlesque-historic-preservation-andmdash-and-murder/Content?oid=6595544

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-nostalgic-stroll-through-the-good-old-bad-old-days-of-printers-alley/Content?oid=3345811

Dream Hotel render, former Climax Utopia, June, 2016.png

Printer's Alley 1.JPG

Printer's Alley 2.jpg

• Like 1

I get nervous when I hear them say they want to "revitalize" Printer's Alley.  To me, it's great just the way it is.  Sure it's a little grimy and rough around the edges, but that's what makes it what it is.  If they mean they're going to put a couple new night spots in there, then great.  I just hope it doesn't mean 'we're going to paint all the walls a nice clean cream color and get rid of all that unsightly neon.' 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I get nervous when I hear them say they want to "revitalize" Printer's Alley.  To me, it's great just the way it is.  Sure it's a little grimy and rough around the edges, but that's what makes it what it is.  If they mean they're going to put a couple new night spots in there, then great.  I just hope it doesn't mean 'we're going to paint all the walls a nice clean cream color and get rid of all that unsightly neon.' 

Yeah...I hope they don't love it to death.

• Like 1

I had forgotten about that beautiful old Victorian stone building adjacent to (but not a part of) this project. But I remember a great turret style corner window at the top and some unique bay windows over the alley. I trust that little gem is as good as ever.  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4th+Ave+N+%26+Church+St,+Nashville,+TN+37219/@36.1645624,-86.7802265,98a,20y,98h,45.06t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88646659b192697f:0x330fde44221cb1a7!8m2!3d36.1637151!4d-86.7789431

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I had forgotten about that beautiful old Victorian stone building adjacent to (but not a part of) this project. But I remember a great turret style corner window at the top and some unique bay windows over the alley. I trust that little gem is as good as ever.  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4th+Ave+N+%26+Church+St,+Nashville,+TN+37219/@36.1645624,-86.7802265,98a,20y,98h,45.06t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88646659b192697f:0x330fde44221cb1a7!8m2!3d36.1637151!4d-86.7789431

The Southern Turf.  Yeah, not going anywhere.  A real gem.

• Like 3

So... does anyone know why this became a Dream Hotel, and not an Ace Hotel?

The Ace would be a better fit for Nashville, in my mind.  What they've done with the Ace in New Orleans would have worked well here, too.

Would love to know more details if anyone has them.

To get the brand agreement all standards have to be met including a certain return, room size, and amenity package. Ace Hotel was very specific about these things and the developer decided to make a switch.

I've always admired the architecture of this building.    One of the positive benefits of a red hot real estate market is that the rising tide lifts all boats, so to speak.   Investors are finally seeing the value, and demand, for renovating and reusing these beautiful old buildings.   As opposed to the past few decades when the economics favored tearing them down and installing parking lots.     Keep em coming!   

• Like 3

Update on razing of the back end of the Climax Hotel and the old Which Wich Sandwich restaurant.

Detail on saving of the front frame of the Climax Hotel.  All of the ornate brick was taken down to be restored and re-constructed on the face when structural reimagining is complete. Shot looking south along 4th Avenue North:

Dream_Hotel_1,_July,_2016.JPG

The former two-story non-descript building that housed Which Wich Sandwich is razed.  A new 10-story wing to the Dream Hotel will go in this slot and connect to the former Climax Hotel site to the right. Looking east from sidewalk along 4th Avenue North:

Dream_Hotel_2,_July,_2016.JPG

The former Utopia Hotel is on the left and is being gutted and remodeled, and will then become part of the Dream Hotel which will fill-in all of the areas that are currently razed.  You can see the back-end of the former Climax Hotel, which had too much water/neglect damage to be kept intact. They are doing all they can to maintain the front area facing 4th Avenue North. New restaurants and clubs will take up the first floor on the Printers Alley side. On the 4th Avenue side will also be some restaurant/retail, as well as the primary lobby of the new Dream Hotel. Looking west from Printers Alley:

Dream_Hotel_3,_July,_2016.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Update on demo/excavation for new Dream Hotel at Printers Alley.  Apparently they could not save any of the foundation or framing for the front of the former Climax Hotel (built in 1887 and in very bad shape due to neglect over the past 5 decades). They DID save all the front facade brick and stone work, and will reconstruct it for one of the outer portions of the new hotel that faces Fourth Avenue North.

Looking east from Fourth Avenue North back towards Printers Alley:

Printers_Alley_demolition_1,_Aug.JPG

Looking west from Printers Alley towards Fourth Avenue North:

Printers_Alley_demolition_2,_Aug.JPG

Looking SW along Printers Alley:

Printers_Alley_demolition_3,_Aug.JPG

Tribute Hotel addition work has created a safety/work roof over Printers Alley entrance. This will come donw once the 12-story structure rising immediately to the left is completed. Looking north from Church Street:

Tribute_Hotel_safety_bridge_over_Printers_Alley,_Aug.JPG

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Update on demo/excavation for new Dream Hotel at Printers Alley.  Apparently they could not save any of the foundation or framing for the front of the former Climax Hotel (built in 1887 and in very bad shape due to neglect over the past 5 decades). They DID save all the front facade brick and stone work, and will reconstruct it for one of the outer portions of the new hotel that faces Fourth Avenue North.

Looking east from Fourth Avenue North back towards Printers Alley:

I do regret that the former Climax could not be saved, other than the facade.    During demo, I noticed some interesting stone and brick arches down at the foundation level, which was all scraped clean.     

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

59 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

I do regret that the former Climax could not be saved, other than the facade.    During demo, I noticed some interesting stone and brick arches down at the foundation level, which was all scraped clean.     

It really saddens me as well that this has occurred,  to warrant the razing.  fieldmarshaldj mentioned this casually a year or two ago, about downtown structures in general being abandoned ─ particularly on Church St., either partially or entirely ─ and owners being forced to allow defaulting to a state of becoming dilapidated and condemned, to such an extent that buildings had to be torn down, with no developers stepping up to the plate, during the hard knocks of the '70s, and especially the '80s and to an extent into the '90s.  In some cases, walls just "up" and collapse.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, rookzie said:

It really saddens me as well that this has occurred,  to warrant the razing.  fieldmarshaldj mentioned this casually a year or two ago, about downtown structures in general being abandoned ─ particularly on Church St., either partially or entirely ─ and owners being forced to allow defaulting to a state of becoming dilapidated and condemned, to such an extent that buildings had to be torn down, with no developers stepping up to the plate, during the hard knocks of the '70s, and especially the '80s and to an extent into the '90s.  In some cases, walls just "up" and collapse.

I don't recall if I said that. But it is lamentable (if not criminal) that these buildings are allowed to deteriorate to the point of requiring demolition. We've lost way too much downtown. :(

• Like 2

14 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I don't recall if I said that. But it is lamentable (if not criminal) that these buildings are allowed to deteriorate to the point of requiring demolition. We've lost way too much downtown. :(

I agree. Many cities actually have Demolition by Neglect charges that can be brought against a negligent property owner. The owner selling to a developer who almost immediately starts a stabilization process is almost always the result.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...