Oh, I hope you’re right about the Arcade, it has so much potential to be so much more than it is right now.  Personally I’d like to see it go upscale. I think they could enclose it and add escalators/elevators in the middle where that access road cuts through. The Arcade could be such a great place (it’s already good but it needs a direction).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, memphian said:

Oh, I hope you’re right about the Arcade, it has so much potential to be so much more than it is right now.  Personally I’d like to see it go upscale. I think they could enclose it and add escalators/elevators in the middle where that access road cuts through. The Arcade could be such a great place (it’s already good but it needs a direction).

Eh, going to have to pass on the upscale part. That would likely drive out the artist spaces upstairs and, honestly, that's the only reason I go to the Arcade.

• Like 4

That is a shock to me. Maybe the guests from the Fairlane, Bobby, Dream, and Noel will give it a bit more life - I’m trying to figure out how that stretch of Fourth is going to change here in the next few years. The Arcade May become more relevant past standard office hours!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

The arcade should hopefully be open and active late in the evenings, but I hope it keeps some grit.   That's part of of the magic of Nashville, grit and glitz side by side.  When places get too sanitized they lose their appeal. 

Those low rent galleries, like street musicians, are exactly what makes a city feel hyper-alive.  In fact, small, cheap commercial spaces should be an important part of the urban mix.  Interesting people will get weird and entrepreneurial with such a space at their disposal.

I couldn't agree more.  Give me 'King Kebab' owned by the same immigrant family for forty years over some  chic sanitized latte and smoothie place any day of the week.

• Like 4

I’m sure money will eventually win out when it comes to the Arcade. In the meantime, if I were the owner, I’d be looking at ways to grab the prospective hotel guests that are about to be right outside my door. As for charm,  the house of pizza sign doesn’t have  much (just an example even though the pies were always  good).  On the flip side the post office & peanut shoppe are both very charming so there are some things to protect and some things possibly needing a revisit.

The point is that area is about to change unlike anything we’ve seen in years and with the hotels targeting an expected upscale guest will an as-is Arcade go unchanged or should it consider an update (without losing its charm)?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, memphian said:

I definitely agree with that, didn’t say it up front. I don’t think it should become a miniature Cool Springs Galleria, just a cleaner and nicer version of itself. :)

Agreed. The area is becoming more upscale and it won't hurt the arcade to keep up with the change just a bit. I'm sure the grittiness of the arcade is appealing to some, but a fresh coat of paint and a good cleaning wouldn't hurt. 

• Like 2

If there are structural issues they should be addressed, but be careful, it is an irreplaceable icon. I've always thought it should be open on weekends and nights. There are a lot of tourists in town on weekends and many of them would stumble on it by accident and remember it thereafter as a charming piece of local color. I love fresh-roasted pecans! I also love Neigeville's description of Nashville as "grit and glitz side by side." Spot on! Could that be made into a slogan? Could something be done with "grit, glitz and grits?"

Edited by archilove
Thought of some additional remarks.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

You positively, absolutely, and without a doubt cannot drive anywhere through downtown or SoBro because of six bazillion cranes and construction.

Yes yeah the next few years aren’t going to be fun for those of us who have to frequently drive in downtown. At least the view will be more interesting while sitting in traffic. ;) 

5 hours ago, archilove said:

I have very little trouble getting around downtown. I'm using the new Division Street Connector which doesn't seem to be getting any use by anyone else. I can skirt the southern edge of downtown and cut north on whatever avenue I think will be the most expeditious. No problem. Dealing with traffic here is largely a matter of knowing the roads least travelled, the times of day that have the least traffic, then having the ability to relax, maybe while listening to 91.1 FM. 

Seems like a lot of the complaints of traffic are from people who just don't know how to deal with it. Like you said, sometimes all it takes is just taking a moment to navigate a different route to make use of all the options available instead of just using one or two or three main routes all the time, every time. Nashville has traffic issues, sure, but it's nothing like a lot of growing cities, especially up here in the Northeast in the Wash.-Balt.-Phila. corridor. A typical Friday afternoon on I-95 all the way from the southern side of the Beltway to I-76 in Philadelphia is the equivalent of rush hour traffic in Nashville on I-40. Not that Nashville should aspire to that or take proactive measures to help it, but it just doesn't seem as bad as people make it out to be.

Okay, sorry for off topic rant!

• Like 2