Richmond Development Map

RVA-Is-The-Best

Wondering whether I should move the Shockoe Public Square (the farmers market to plaza redevelopment) from U/C to completed. I know I've seen articles in RTD and BizSense and the like reporting on its completed state (peoples satisfaction/unsatisfaction with the results notwithstanding)

What do you guys think

edit: also, some more updates:

• Have added a mystery project at Oliver Hill Way just south of the Leigh St Viaduct. Planet Explorer satellite imagery indicates construction is going on there but i have no links to any info online. If anyone has anything they know, share it
  • The Civil War Musuem new addition at Tredegar is now green (completed). Opening set for May 4th.
  • The long awaited Market @ 25th grocery store, plus the attached 42 unit apartment building in Church Hill, has also gone green, with its opening yesterday.
  • Moved a couple of infill projects in Manchester from blue to purple, and purple to green, based on satellite info and various articles found online.
Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

• 4 months later...

Thanks to Slipek's new under construction article in Style posted in the Developments thread, a lot of updates have made its way onto the map. Some of em:

• The Forest Hill project (blue to purple)
  • Penny at Jackson Ward (purple to green)
  • South Falls I (blue to purple)
  • The Current (blue to purple)
  • 805 W Cary (purple to green)

Plus: The Locks Tower looks a lot better than I expected now, and its opening is imminent. Don't want to move the big 'Riverview Apartments' at Cowardin+Semmes to purple just yet as the picture in the Style article seems to show mostly just minimal site prep. The development in the Fan behind the church now has a name, 'The Circ'. Also, RTD has posted a very brief minute long segment on construction of the Whole Foods.

Keep the cranes spinning

• Thanks 2

• 9 months later...
15 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Don't know if anyone else has this issue lately of having to request access when trying to edit the map. I had to approve myself lol. Will try and fix that whatever's going on

Definitely seeing that now.

• 1 month later...

Hope you don't mind, I added the Carvana Tower and the Eastlawn Shopping Center redevelopment into a Boys & Girls Club onto the map.  Both should start or have started any day now.

Probably should delete The Shire as that project was scrapped.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/08/19/rebkee-scraps-shire-project-blackwoods-one-pouncey-advances/

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Hope you don't mind, I added the Carvana Tower and the Eastlawn Shopping Center redevelopment into a Boys & Girls Club onto the map.  Both should start or have started any day now.

Ye, no worries. It's open to anybody who wants to edit, I can't keep up myself and it's a good asset to the community have it open source. I just back it up every now and then in the unlikely event of sabotage or corrupt file etc

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rjp212 said:

I know this project has been discussed in the Manchester Forum, but didn't see it on the development map.  I added it as "under construction"

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/04/03/apartments-eyed-along-mcdonough-street-manchester/

1200 McDonough.jpg

That's because this project is already completed. There is an entry already on the Completed list. This may have been toggled off if you had that section unchecked. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Done.

Thanks!  While you are at it, I feel like you could archive:

Richmond Project List (redundant with the Development Map)

Welcome to Richmond (hasn't been used in 4 years)

Richmond Coffee House (redundant with off-topic postings)

Just my .02 in cleaning up some of the forum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

I second that motion!

3 hours ago, rjp212 said:

I dropped the project listing, especially since the primary poster keeps hiding their posts, but have left the others for the time-being.  Coffee House is meant for local political discussions, which may be useful, and the Welcome too Richmond is good for new user introductions.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

WOW - so that's six cranes up over the RVA cityscape at one time. This has GOT to be a first! (While the VCU Health outpatient hospital was being built we were at 5 immediately downtown).

Hoping someone might be able to get us some pix. I'd like very much to see all the cranes!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

Seeing new construction north of 95 downtown really changes the feel of it too. 
That apartment complex (also with two cranes) really draws attention away from the old industrial sites around it. 

Very true. You can just sense a renaissance occurring in Richmond as you drive through - it’s fantastic!  It’s such a nice change!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Seeing new construction north of 95 downtown really changes the feel of it too. 
That apartment complex (also with two cranes) really draws attention away from the old industrial sites around it. 

I was a bit skeptical with that development at first but it is really starting to make an impression.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 8:56 AM, Icetera said:

Updated crane tracking to add Ascend/Opus crane:

RVA Tower Cranes.jpg

Quick question: Is this map available online here (like the development map) or is it kept offline only?

ALSO - 

The high rise database (see first picture). Is that available to us online here on the forum, or is that also kept strictly offline?

ONE MORE QUESTION:

Is the Gladdings Residence Center at Main and Laurel - VCU academic campus (see second picture) included in the high rise database? I've noticed in pictures that for a 12-13 story building, it has a very strong presence on the skyline - whether because of how it was constructed (perhaps taller floor plating?) or due to enhanced elevation. (What's the elevation at the academic campus?)  I'm asking not only out of curiosity (and so we can account for that building) but because the school is planning what basically will be a bookend high rise student residence building at Laurel and Grace (see third picture) ) -- a VERY similar design and I would imagine, by extension, size.

image.png.04d1b19b6d42f179f67aef2e1df006aa.png

SBC-FranklinSt1.jpg

VCU-Laurel-Grace1.jpg

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Quick question: Is this map available online here (like the development map) or is it kept offline only?

ALSO - 

The high rise database (see first picture). Is that available to us online here on the forum, or is that also kept strictly offline?

ONE MORE QUESTION:

Is the Gladdings Residence Center at Main and Laurel - VCU academic campus (see second picture) included in the high rise database? I've noticed in pictures that for a 12-13 story building, it has a very strong presence on the skyline - whether because of how it was constructed (perhaps taller floor plating?) or due to enhanced elevation. (What's the elevation at the academic campus?)  I'm asking not only out of curiosity (and so we can account for that building) but because the school is planning what basically will be a bookend high rise student residence building at Laurel and Grace (see third picture) ) -- a VERY similar design and I would imagine, by extension, size.

image.png.04d1b19b6d42f179f67aef2e1df006aa.png

SBC-FranklinSt1.jpg

VCU-Laurel-Grace1.jpg

These are just part of my personal documentation.  I could add tp Google Docs but then I would need to maintain both.  As far as high-rises, I only include 200+ feet as established by the Wiki pages.  Even the 16 story residences barely break  200 due to shorter floor plates so while these 12-14 story buildings have nice presence they do not qualify.  I do include them for tracking residential floors/units 6+ floors on a different spreadsheet.

image.thumb.png.d4a6a8b9a9469f61ce667e93cb06c3fe.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1