Austin & Austin Metro Projects Compilation

The ATX

clayton_rogue posted this at SSP.  It was taken yesterday and is looking north away from downtown towards West Campus and the University of Texas.  He has 18 cranes highlighted in red plus one in blue that went up today.  There is also one not highlighted on the far right which makes makes 20.  If the camera was turned around there would be at least 13 more in downtown proper making for a total of 33.  There are also  a lot more scattered around Austin and the metro  which would put the total number to around 50.

bHu7bWO.jpg

These were former surface lots at the SE corner of the Domain.  A 330' office building and a 19-story residential tower are going up now.  They will be the tallest office tower and tallest residential building outside of downtown and West Campus.  Another 300'+ office tower and a 274' office tower will be going up next to the two buildings going up now.  The second two buildings are still awaiting city approval.

hYFtF7O.jpg?1

Photo by zrx299

I'm almost ready to post my final Tallest Projects list of the year.  But I'm waiting for height info on three projects that I will add to the list once I have it, and I'm also waiting for two more significant groundbreakings that could happen in December.  The fact that we have 41 projects in the works that are between 300' and 850' is amazing for a metro of 2.2 million.  That total only includes projects announced by developers and/or have had city documents/permits filed.  It doesn't include planned projects like the Railyard condos site towers and the Brackenridge campus redevelopment site towers.  Of course nobody including me probably expects all 41 to be built.  But more than 1/3 of them (14) have already broken ground.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that another mediocre season is in the books and with a mediocre bowl game looming, construction on the south end zone closure is ramping up.  The Godzillatron is being dismantled.

1gcXKwr.png 

Webcam

The basketball arena known as Moody Center broke ground this week.  It will also serve as one of the City's special events centers for concerts among other events.

08z4yyq.png

FDpmOZA.png

Gensler

Here are some webcam updates of Phase I of the Texas Capitol Mall project.

This used to be N. Congress Ave.  It will be replaced with underground parking (4K spaces in total) with a grassy mall on top and an amphitheater. 

F2a3OPB.png 

Two office buildings along the mall are part of Phase I.  This is 1801 Congress.  Six of the 35+ cranes up in Central Austin can be seen.

4I0iTWz.png

This one is 1601 Congress.  It looks like the crane base is being constructed.

pgJBUWQ.png

Downtown Austin is tightly defined by zoning which is why the towers are getting taller as fewer and fewer lots become available for development.  But here are two projects taking baby steps to push the boundaries of downtown.  The first one is the  bulky 16-story Dorey apartment building going up at the NE boundary of downtown .  It's the project in the foreground with two cranes.  The crane in the middle is across I-35 for the Alexan residential tower.

5lUiu2W.jpg 

GpDAb3G.jpg

Photo by corvairkeith

The second project broke ground this week and is going up at the SW corner of downtown across the river at the terminus of the pedestrian bridge.  It's the Loren Hotel & Condos.  This is the Loren Hotel Group's first project outside of Bermuda.  The renderings are from TOWERS.

loren_aerial.jpg

The-Loren-at-Lady-Bird-Lake-Austin-Front

Lee-Barton-from-the-Street.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Austin doesn't have a stated height limit for much of downtown.  But there is a floor to area ratio (FAR) that limits the height on projects depending on the site size.  The new Land development Code that is close to being approved removes FAR restrictions and will allow developers to build as tall as they desire.  Yay!   

• 1 month later...

I have a lot of updates to post, and I hope to get them posted this weekend.  Austin may have more cranes in the air right now than it has at any other time.  There are enough projects financed and underway to keep the cranes swinging for a couple years despite the "Great Virus Recession".  This is a shot from today from the University of Texas DKR Stadium South end zone project webcam.  There are 11 tower/Luffing cranes in view (if you know where to look) and six more just out of view to the right.  And there are many others besides these around downtown!

TLnL3dV.png

DKR Webcam

• Like 2