The ATX

Austin Suburban Projects Compilation

21 posts in this topic

I've been posting mainly about Downtown Austin projects.  But much - if not most - of the construction activity is taking place outside of the urban core in sprawling suburban areas both inside and outside of Austin proper.  There are many subdivisions with hundreds or thousands of homes U/C.  I live in a new 1,000+ home subdivision with a lot of new construction going on.  Condos, apartments and homes in Central Austin are getting pretty expensive, so the 'burbs - both inside and outside of Austin's city limit are booming.  The 1,100 average weekly new residents that have been arriving since 2010 have to live somewhere.  

This first post is about a huge mixed use project in Pflugerville.  P'ville is one of Austin's bigger suburbs and borders Austin and Round Rock on the NE side of the Metro. This development is along SH130 which is the (expensive) toll road that has the posted 85 MPH speed limit (my avatar) for about 40 miles.  The plans feature a lot of mid-rises. 

RPH-2014-09-01-2m1.jpg?cb=76da404d23642c  

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/round-rock-pflugerville-hutto/major-project-in-the-works/

The purpose of this thread is to post about large or unique projects outside of Central Austin.  I haven't been keeping up with it since Downtown projects are my main interest.  But this is a big project in the western 'burbs that is close to getting its final development approvals.  It's an old outdoor music venue that is being redeveloped in a big way.  The redeveloped project will have:

Two outdoor music venues

Three film and sound recording stages

150-room hotel

120 condos

11 office buildings with 700K sq. Ft. of space focusing on creative businesses

The photo and article can be found in the Austin Business Journal:  

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/creative/2014/11/250m-proposed-redevelopment-of-the-backyard-set.html

screen-shot-2014-11-17-at-10447-pm*600xx

Edited by The ATX

The Backyard development has a nice website with video of some movies filmed in Austin.  Here are some more renderings from the website:  

backyard-01.jpg

backyard-06.jpg

backyard-07.jpg

The website:  http://backyardaustin.com/work/

Edited by The ATX

Here's a rendering of the condos from the Backyard website:  

terrace-10.jpg

http://backyardaustin.com/live/

Here's a rendering of the view from one of the condos.  As KevinFromTexas at SSP pointed out, you can see Downtown Seattle from the Texas Hill Country!

terrace-08.jpg

http://backyardaustin.com/live/

...and finally a rendering of the hotel:  

backyard-09.jpg

http://backyardaustin.com/stay/

Edited by The ATX

A 15-story residential high rise gets approved for the 'burbs.  In this case it's San Marcos - the nations fastest growing city for the past two years per the Census Bureau.  One of the NIMBY commenters on the article said let's not turn San Marcos into Austin.  :rofl:

San Marcos by the way, is home to Texas State University.  It's a huge ~35,000 student university.  But it is of course overshadowed by that other big university in the Metro.

unnamed.jpg?cb=00f9ac36ffabbc5fcce0efe59

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/san-marcos-buda-kyle/p%26z-recommends-15-story-approval/

I've been posting about the big NLand Surf Park in the Whatever thread, but it should be in this thread about projects outside of downtown.  This project is still inside of Austin's city limits, but it's on the SE edge near the airport and the Circuit of the Americas race track.  Anyway, it's officially moved from site prep to U/C.

Surf%20Park%20August.png

Link

Austin is a booming Sunbelt sprawl city as much as it is a city with a booming and densifying central core.  Huge subdivisions are common and not worth mentioning, but this 7,500 home subdivision called Whisper Valley is planning to be "energy neutral".  From the American-Statesman article about the project:  

"Taurus officials said the project is the first large single-family housing development, locally and nationally, that will be “energy neutral,” with homes designed to produce as much energy as they consume on a net basis every year.  The homes will be equipped with geothermal pumps for heating and cooling; roof-mounted solar panels; energy-efficient appliances; and other green-building technologies, Taurus said."  This will also be Google Fiber's first greenfield Austin subdivision that they will be wiring. 

This project seems to be in unincorporated Northeast Travis county, and will eventually be annexed by the city.  It should be home to about 20,000 people at build out.  The first roads are being constructed now as seen from these photos from the article:  

lhs-Whisper-Valley-04.jpg

Whisper%20Valley%202.png

Whisper%20Valley%201.png

Edited by The ATX

A $100 million, 400K sq. ft. office campus was announced today for the last large undeveloped tract in Round Rock's huge La Frontera development that runs along its border with Austin.  An office park in Round Rock is not news, but this one will be built on the location where most of the original Texas Chansaw Massacre movie was shot.  The "house of horrors" was moved from the site about 15 years and is now a restaurant in a small town in the Texas Hill Country.  The location is on a hill, and until now has managed to survive despite nearby highway construction and development.  Before this area was developed we used to drive up the hill at night on a very dark and creepy road to look at the house.  

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/business/100-million-office-campus-planned-at-la-frontera-s/nnyFZ/ 

Air traffic at ABIA is growing as fast as the city, and the airport has had various projects U/C for the last few years.  A rendering of the east terminal expansion project was released yesterday:  

QXkW4t5.png

Link

Another crane went up at the Domain project in North Austin.  I don't get up that way much, so I don't know how many cranes are currently up.  But they come and go in that area pretty quickly because they have been building a lot of buildings in the 5-12-story range over the past few years.

12195960_10207500780574749_2911474275239

Photo by JoninATX

I've been neglecting this thread because it's mostly about sprawl.   But this project in southeast Austin by the airport is huge and just got approved today.  It will consist of 14,300 homes and apartments and 4.6 million sq. ft. of commercial and civic space.

Austin Business Journal article

A few posts up I posted about a 7,500 home subdivision north of this one.  The east side of Austin isn't hemmed in by suburbs, and there is a huge amount of undeveloped land available for the city's expansion.

There are reports surfacing online that Raiders owner Mark Davis has land located halfway between Austin and San Antonio for a stadium for the Raiders if the last ditch effort to get a new stadium in Oakland fall through.  The Raiders are apparently the likely odd man (team) out in the two team move to L.A.   This could very well be just a negotiating tactic with Oakland city officials.  But a stadium located between Austin and San Antonio would be a short drive for the 4.5 million people living in the region.  

Article and Video  

Edited by The ATX

Here are a couple of project updates in the huge Domain development in far North Austin.

This is the 11-story Domain 8 office tower.

CY4cjcpUQAA4YbZ.jpg:large

BuildingATX

They must be running out of development space because this residential project looks to be squeezed into an odd shaped lot.  It's called the Flatiron.  I wonder what their inspiration was. :rolleyes:  It's by the same Dallas based developer of the Downtown Catherine apartment high rise that opened last summer.

austin-flatiron-lg.jpg

Streetlights Residential

1 person likes this

The developers behind the large mixed use Austin Oaks development north of Downtown have been fighting the neighboring NIMBYs for quite some time.  Despite being adjacent to a major freeway (MOPAC Expressway, a.k.a. Loop 1) the area is mostly suburban style residential - and the NIMBYs want to keep it that way.  Three of the office buildings proposed for the project are on my list of tallest projects.  The latest compromise between the developers and NIMBYs has the three office buildings scaled back to 7-stories each.  The NIMBY's fear of tall (or even mid-rise) buildings is silly.  They almost always favor separate parking structures for buildings which take up so much more space instead of having them as the podium in a single structure.  Since they are office buildings they should still reach 100' and be tall enough to make my list.  Here's the latest plan, and a link to an article below it.

Austin-Oaks-redevelopment-design-unveile 

Community Impact

Edited by The ATX

I'm merging this thread with the Austin Metro Projects thread.  Going forward this thread will be for any projects outside of the Austin city limits.  This will include any project status type - proposed, U/C, etc.  Of course, any significant project can have it's own thread for updates.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread because, well, suburban development is just not that exciting or interesting.  But large suburban projects are increasing Austin's sprawl just as significantly as all the downtown towers are increasing density in central Austin.  

This particular development is noteworthy not because of it's size (1,000 homes and 850 apartments) but because it's at the southern tip of Austin's metro in San Marcos which of course borders on the northern limit of the San Antonio metro.  This is a good example of the many projects that are helping to create what will one day be the large continuous San Antonio-Austin urban area along I-35.

The site plan from the article.  (The author of the article was a little sloppy in that the photo of San Marcos accompanying the article is actually San Marcos, CA.): 

Trace-mixed-use-development-map-San-Marc

An 11-story hotel called The Spicewood in Northwest Austin is planned just outside the city limits in northwest Austin.  Some cabins and Air Stream trailers will be part of the project so guests can rent them and feel closer to nature.  Hey, that would be called camping.  The area is scenic though, with cliffs running a long a creek.  The area is in Austin's ETJ and will eventually be annexed.

Community Impact

Site Plan

This is a general view of the area from the Community Impact article:  

IMG_8371.jpg?w=1200&ssl=1

The Round Rock City Council votes (i.e. rubber stamps) on the incentives this week for the Kalahari indoor water park, convention center and 975 room hotel.

Community Impact Article

The site is across U.S. 79 from Dell Diamond.  Dell Diamond is home to the Texas Ranger's Triple A affiliate Round Rock Express.

Kalahari.png

City of Round Rock

1 person likes this

I haven't been keeping this thread up to date because it's about suburban projects which are mostly uninteresting low-rise sprawl.  But the latest print edition of Community Impact covering Austin's southern 'burbs has an interesting article about Kyle, TX.  Community Impact is a Texas based business and development news company similar to the Business Journal company, and Kyle is a second ring Austin suburb sandwiched between two other Austin suburbs along I-35 - Buda to the north and San Marcos to the South.  The San Antonio metro begins with New Braunfels which is immediately south of San Marcos.

Suburbs of the big Texas cities typically dominate the Census Bureau's annual lists of the fastest growing cities.  But Kyle's current population is below the 50,000 population threshold that the Census Bureau uses for its rankings.  Kyle's population in 2000 was around 5,300 and by 2010 it was 28,000.  In 2016 the Census Bureau put it at 39,000.  In 2017 it is put at 42,000 by a local source.  Anyway, the community Impact article stated that the city is planning for a population of 100,000 in 20 years.  There are currently 21 active subdivisions in Kyle either U/C or in the planning phases with an amazing total of 47,000 new home sites.  As far as I can tell, that doesn't even include the healthy amount of apartment construction already happening in Kyle. Three of those 21 subdivisions each have 8,000 to 10,000 home sites!  Kyle doesn't even have a major employer outside of a regional hospital and big box retail.