N&O Site

RALNATIVE

9 minutes ago, ctl said:

Perhaps this will smoke out why the City wanted the 20-story limit.

The short answer is that many of the long-time residents are not interested in seeing skyscrapers rising in Raleigh. These zoning limits were mainly put into place to appease this group. Any urban developer will tell you that a city such as Raleigh needs to go taller in it's CBD due to the rapidly rising cost of land.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am wondering if they are really in talks with other developers/interested parties?

The article seems to indicate that this group and the N&O have been in talks for quite some time. So in this case, I would think that the originaly interested parties  that were not chosen would have already gone their merry way? Thoughts? 

Wild guess: Kane will buy the block and move the N&O office to his new tower by train station. That would allow removing all the buildings and starting with clean slate.  (( side note: I worked in the building facing Nash Square when in HS, many many years ago. The complex was a maze inside then and do not think would be any better now ))

17 hours ago, Scotchman said:

Wild guess: Kane will buy the block and move the N&O office to his new tower by train station. That would allow removing all the buildings and starting with clean slate.  (( side note: I worked in the building facing Nash Square when in HS, many many years ago. The complex was a maze inside then and do not think would be any better now ))

The deal falling thru may be a blessing in disguise. I always hoped Mr Kane would get this site. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 10:12 PM, Scotchman said:

I think you meant...whole block minus the stuff along Hargett. 

I agree this is a blessing in disguise. They had the 8 story classical revival Professional Building under contract too (Hargett and McDowell) along with the Father & Sons building. What the hell did they need with that except perhaps putting the N&O in there? Anyway, I don't trust them at all now...they give off the scent of a convoluted group of investors with no interest in anything except maxing out their profit. I could be wrong, but until then I feel wary....I mean...how can other companies pull off space for the N&O and they can't? I can't think of many scenarios that paint them in a good light...

I do not understand why the N&O wanted  a plan that included suitable space for the newspaper in the redevelopment  3-acre site on McDowell Street.  Is there other places in downtown they could move?

In Charlotte the Charlotte Observer moved out of their site to another building.

Both papers are owned by the same company and you would think that the News & Observer would do the same as the Charlotte Observer.

Charlotte Observer site now. No moving back now.

May next year the N&O site will look like this.

RenderedContent-D88E_zps3aumg9j6.jpg

Edited by RiverwoodCLT
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Property was sold to Acquisition Group, of California, per the article linked above.  Apparently the buyers, who also own the BB&T tower, have been hoping to invest in the property for 30 years.  :o  Hopefully that means they will build something truly special.

Exciting times!

Edited by Merthecat