N&O Site

RALNATIVE

I asked a retired fire captain from Charlotte today about what the CFD felt about our skyscrapers.  He says in general firefighters don't like anything over 7 stories or so but he said Charlotte's fire standards even exceed the state's.  Modern high rises can be safe with proper sprinklers, points of entry and exits, practice of emergencies like good ole fire drills for the tenants.  

And yes Raleigh already has 3 400+ plus buildings as stated above.  I hope all these 20 story plus buildings are built the Fallon project, the N&O site and hope Kane gets their approval for their 40 story building.   Look at the highrises up at North Hills and they seem to get approved now up to 32 stories.  

• Like 3

Also, I recall this issue of the water mains being brought up several years ago, and I recall hearing that the downtown water grid could support up to 40 floors, but not higher, without significant improvements. I don't think that is responsible for the 20 floor limit in most of downtown. Although I do think it's the reason Fayetteville Street is limited to 40.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 10:43 PM, Merthecat said:

Supposedly they're building the first phase, which includes an office tower, on spec starting this fall.

Yeah I just read that in WRAL Techwire I think. Facing Salisbury St...20 stories or so I think? 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 3:42 PM, Jones_ said:

Yeah I just read that in WRAL Techwire I think. Facing Salisbury St...20 stories or so I think? 

yeah, so not this corner to start with. Though I wonder if they will raze the whole site when they start on the office building portion? Which means this could corner could end up a vacant lot for a time.

krqkwfm.png&key=9b7f8ba2fae6fca2c0ed4f9b

1513225653_214salisbury.thumb.JPG.fa51a2

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Agreed. This location is begging for additional height. It is really one of the top handful of sites in the city.  

One block off Fayetteville, next to the square, almost a full block, it would really fill in the gap in the skyline if it were 40 or (gasp) 50 stories. 

I'm glad it is being redeveloped, but wish they had gone for a rezoning. Maybe in a later phase? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jones_ said:

Is the proposed hotel portion sitting squarely in the center of the block? Not that temporary visitors deserve a view over permeant residents, but it seems like a hotel 100% hemmed in by other buildings might be a tough sell if that is indeed how it is oriented. 

No I think it is on the corner if you look at the site plan posted further up the page.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, InitialD said:

I'm okay with not being a height queen on this one with that ground floor plan - retail, retail, retail, retail, bar/restaurant, grocery. That's fantastic. I thought we might get one whole side that is nothing but parking deck at ground level or something. 

My concern is that this is a prime spot of land in downtown and a taller tower at that site would do wonders for the skyline and help spread out the height, but i'll take what they're planning to deliver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InitialD said:

Yeah, six retails spaces including a grocery, plus towers that are office, condo, apartments, and hotel. 19 floor office is going to make it slightly taller than Red Hat (and neighboring Justice Center), and the residential/hotel will be roughly that of the round Holiday Inn hotel. They won't add a lot of height to the skyline but will add some nice density overlooking Nash square.

I think the heights of all 4 towers are right at the 250' cap for the existing zoning.

• Like 1

I'd like an Earth Fare but they seem to be only interested in the super car dependent and car oriented developments. Not very earth friendly there Earth Fare. This would be a good block to vary the heights on...30 on Salisbury keeps the heights on the spine of downtown but 10 facing Nash Square ensures you can look out your window and see actual park features and not indistinct green blob below you. No point in being next to a park if you can hear the birds singing in the trees. Anyway that's the only change I'd make. The use makeup and the ground level and above ground level is varied and that is excellent. 

• Like 3