N&O Site

RALNATIVE

Update from the submittal to the city for revised stepbacks for the office building.
nexus.thumb.jpg.e67e5f4dfd0502605928d3923d7c4647.jpg

Love the massing and density. Charlotte gets much bigger buildings, but would love for it to get this many buildings/uses on a single block. Makes it that much more vibrant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/11/2019 at 12:47 PM, Green_man said:

That site plan is outdated. Here is the updated one:

nexus site plan.JPG

That grocery store looks like it is about 120x240 which is just shy of 29000 square feet.

That's too big for a Trader Joes or Aldi's (both 15k), or Lidl  or Fresh Market (both 20k).

This is smaller than the average new-build Whole Foods (40k) or Harris Teeter (50-60k)

This *is* the size of a Publix urban format store, but since they're already going in at SmoHo, that's out.

It's also about the size of a Whole Foods 365. So unless Harris Teeter has an urban format that I'm not aware of, Whole Foods 365 is my prediction.

• Like 1

That grocery store looks like it is about 120x240 which is just shy of 29000 square feet.

That's too big for a Trader Joes or Aldi's (both 15k), or Lidl  or Fresh Market (both 20k).

This is smaller than the average new-build Whole Foods (40k) or Harris Teeter (50-60k)

This *is* the size of a Publix urban format store, but since they're already going in at SmoHo, that's out.

It's also about the size of a Whole Foods 365. So unless Harris Teeter has an urban format that I'm not aware of, Whole Foods 365 is my prediction.

HT has a couple urban format stores around the country. Seen in DC, Charlotte and I thought ATLANTA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, orulz said:

Piggly Wiggly's are independently owned and operated franchises.  I've always thought if I won the lottery I'd open a couple (Five Points, Downtown).  Could be a random downtown Raleigh millionaire wants a grocery store?? 

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think Charlotte's uptown Whole Foods is around 29,000 sq ft or so @ricky_davis_fan_21 help me remember the WF store size at Stonewall Station?  

According to the Charlotte Observer, "the new 36,000-square-foot Whole Foods is uptown's first full-sized grocery store (including a mezzanine and lower vestibule area, it's almost 47,000 square feet.)"

• Like 1

So a 29,000 sq ft grocery space could be a small Whole Foods as they never used the upper area at the uptown Charlotte store so it is 36,000 sq ft.  However the downtown Raleigh market is smaller of course than uptown Charlotte and so it could be a Whole Foods still.  Charlotte's urban Whole Foods does extremely good lunch business with nearby office workers and still attracts shoppers that come by foot and drive as they validate parking for 2 hours.  My bet still for this grocery space is a Whole Foods or Teeter still. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

So a 29,000 sq ft grocery space could be a small Whole Foods as they never used the upper area at the uptown Charlotte store so it is 36,000 sq ft.  However the downtown Raleigh market is smaller of course than uptown Charlotte and so it could be a Whole Foods still.  Charlotte's urban Whole Foods does extremely good lunch business with nearby office workers and still attracts shoppers that come by foot and drive as they validate parking for 2 hours.  My bet still for this grocery space is a Whole Foods or Teeter still. 

How big is the HT Uptown (not that I like that one)?  And, yeah, Whole Foods destroys at lunch time.  It would be great in this location too.

• Like 1

How big is the North Hills Harris Teeter? That's an urban format. I could see that going here. But if the plans are updated and it's going to be big box retail, then I have no idea. 
48ksf. It is an odd one-off 1.5 story layout. Seems unlikely HT would be eager to copy it. I have a feeling that Kane may have given HT a pretty sweet deal on the space at NH to get them to be okay with it.
  • Like 3

this is interesting on the Nexus office tower they will go spec if they have to and have the money to do it.

""Acquisition Group is a very well-respected and established owner (Two Hannover Square – 437,000 SF) in Downtown Raleigh. It is a highly capitalized organization and purchased the 3.3-acre Nexus site in 2018 in an all-cash transaction. Acquisition Group plans to construct Nexus without bank financing and therefore delivery of the project is not contingent upon lender approval. East West Partners is the developer based in Chapel Hill, NC, and brings an impressive depth of experience and strong execution that will deliver excellence at Nexus.""

from the leasing agent webpage

https://www.foundrycommercial.com/properties/office/nexus.stml

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

from a subscriber TBJ article  about the new condos pictured above

"""Dubbed The Nash, the 20-story tower will feature over 100 upscale condominiums -- with floor-plans ranging from one-bedroom homes to penthouse suites -- and amenities including hotel-style offerings such as concierge services. The tower will be one of four in the Nexus — a mixed-use development with three 20-story towers and one 19-story tower at the corner of McDowell and Hargett streets.  The property is owned by The Acquisition Group of California, and Chapel Hill-based real estate development company East West Partners is developing the property in partnership with the owner.   “Ever since we’ve been working on the project we knew there would be a significant condominium component to it and planned it all along. There’s not been much condo product built in downtown Raleigh since the recession,” Perry says. “You’ve seen most of what’s been built in the last few years has mostly been for rent.”""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/11/05/nexus-project-in-raleigh-to-feature-penthouses.html

this will be a great project to have both rentals and condos in the same block.  Hope they snag a grocery tenant and do not count Harris Teeter out as a possibility. 

website    https://www.thenashraleigh.com/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, dmccall said:

This is one of the 3 sites downtown that has the potential to stand out in the money shot. (across from Poole's and the State lot between Archives and Christ Church being the 3rd). So, one of those towers really needs to stand out.

I've made the same point numerous times. What a shame if it doesn't.

• Like 1