RALNATIVE

N&O Site

Whole Foods would never work at this site. Its too far for most people to walk easily and not easy for Tahoes and Escalades to get into. Both of their classic customer types are shot. 

Edited by Jones_

On 9/11/2019 at 12:47 PM, Green_man said:

That site plan is outdated. Here is the updated one:

nexus site plan.JPG

That grocery store looks like it is about 120x240 which is just shy of 29000 square feet.

That's too big for a Trader Joes or Aldi's (both 15k), or Lidl  or Fresh Market (both 20k).

This is smaller than the average new-build Whole Foods (40k) or Harris Teeter (50-60k)

This *is* the size of a Publix urban format store, but since they're already going in at SmoHo, that's out.

It's also about the size of a Whole Foods 365. So unless Harris Teeter has an urban format that I'm not aware of, Whole Foods 365 is my prediction.

• Like 1

That grocery store looks like it is about 120x240 which is just shy of 29000 square feet.

That's too big for a Trader Joes or Aldi's (both 15k), or Lidl  or Fresh Market (both 20k).

This is smaller than the average new-build Whole Foods (40k) or Harris Teeter (50-60k)

This *is* the size of a Publix urban format store, but since they're already going in at SmoHo, that's out.

It's also about the size of a Whole Foods 365. So unless Harris Teeter has an urban format that I'm not aware of, Whole Foods 365 is my prediction.

HT has a couple urban format stores around the country. Seen in DC, Charlotte and I thought ATLANTA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, orulz said:

Piggly Wiggly's are independently owned and operated franchises.  I've always thought if I won the lottery I'd open a couple (Five Points, Downtown).  Could be a random downtown Raleigh millionaire wants a grocery store?? 

Harris Teeter has multiple urban format stores in the DC area in the close in suburbs and in DC.  Could be a smaller Teeter. Yes Whole Foods 365 is gone but they are still tinkering with different designs and I would not count them out yet.  They love urban stores. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think Charlotte's uptown Whole Foods is around 29,000 sq ft or so @ricky_davis_fan_21 help me remember the WF store size at Stonewall Station?  

According to the Charlotte Observer, "the new 36,000-square-foot Whole Foods is uptown's first full-sized grocery store (including a mezzanine and lower vestibule area, it's almost 47,000 square feet.)"

• Like 1

So a 29,000 sq ft grocery space could be a small Whole Foods as they never used the upper area at the uptown Charlotte store so it is 36,000 sq ft.  However the downtown Raleigh market is smaller of course than uptown Charlotte and so it could be a Whole Foods still.  Charlotte's urban Whole Foods does extremely good lunch business with nearby office workers and still attracts shoppers that come by foot and drive as they validate parking for 2 hours.  My bet still for this grocery space is a Whole Foods or Teeter still. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

So a 29,000 sq ft grocery space could be a small Whole Foods as they never used the upper area at the uptown Charlotte store so it is 36,000 sq ft.  However the downtown Raleigh market is smaller of course than uptown Charlotte and so it could be a Whole Foods still.  Charlotte's urban Whole Foods does extremely good lunch business with nearby office workers and still attracts shoppers that come by foot and drive as they validate parking for 2 hours.  My bet still for this grocery space is a Whole Foods or Teeter still. 

How big is the HT Uptown (not that I like that one)?  And, yeah, Whole Foods destroys at lunch time.  It would be great in this location too.

• Like 1

You know, Harris Teeter had been rumoured for years to be opening a location in Seaboard.  That project was declared dead in the past year or two, but maybe they're reconsidering a Downtown location?  I think something like their small Uptown Charlotte location could work well here.

• Like 2

By the way, the site plan update to the city from Sept 3 2019 shows big box retail instead of grocery.  Also a loading dock instead of another parking deck entrance on Salisbury.  Likely the marketing flyer is just to gauge or generate interest from various market sectors.

nexus-retail.thumb.JPG.3f9265063bb314c7cb357bae9e48541c.JPG

• Thanks 1

How big is the North Hills Harris Teeter? That's an urban format. I could see that going here. But if the plans are updated and it's going to be big box retail, then I have no idea. 

How big is the North Hills Harris Teeter? That's an urban format. I could see that going here. But if the plans are updated and it's going to be big box retail, then I have no idea. 
48ksf. It is an odd one-off 1.5 story layout. Seems unlikely HT would be eager to copy it. I have a feeling that Kane may have given HT a pretty sweet deal on the space at NH to get them to be okay with it.
  • Like 2