PolerCoaster Nashville

smeagolsfree

I know this was discussed a while back and I have been watching the progress. I found about this earlier  in the day. The Post will have an article, but here is the NBJ's take.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/06/29/this-roller-coaster-could-be-nashvilles-next.html

And the Post story.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/entertainment-industry/article/20826926/thrill-ride-developer-with-eyes-on-nashville-goes-public

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I read about this, the less I want it here.  I suppose if it were located out around Opryland it might be OK.  I just think it would look tacky anywhere within the central loop.  These developers seem to talk a big game, but have very little to show for all their announcements and plans over the past 5 years around the country.

I don't think they will be able to go to the Opryland area because of height issues. I may be wrong about that. I do know there are a couple of flight paths in that area and I have flown right over Opryland on approach to BNA.

I am pretty sure they are looking at several locations.

I'm a huge coaster enthusiast and would love nothing more to have a coaster within a 30 minute drive, but this is too gimmicky for me -- at least when placed in Nashville. Something like this would work well in Atlantic City, Vegas, etc. Even Pigeon Forge at the Island would be a viable option.

I'd much rather have that Opryland music walk/theme park entertainment district that was proposed a few years ago. I think the city could easily support something like that.

5 minutes ago, Flatrock said:

Stick it next to/near to Top Golf. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise,  I'd rather not see it in most areas of the core.....

Totally agree about a spot near Top Golf. Maybe the Andrettis and their indoor go-kart project could be in that area, too. I'm open to that type of entertainment option near downtown as long as it doesn't loom over Lower Broadway.

1 hour ago, Jamie Hall said:

Totally agree about a spot near Top Golf. Maybe the Andrettis and their indoor go-kart project could be in that area, too. I'm open to that type of entertainment option near downtown as long as it doesn't loom over Lower Broadway.

One of my biggest fears is that downtown Nashville becomes a more-urban Pigeon Forge. Things like the Polercoaster are a quick way to do that. If it's not co-located with lower broad, then I'd have less of a problem with it, but I'm still leery nonetheless.

3 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Stick it next to/near to Top Golf. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise,  I'd rather not see it in most areas of the core.....

Yeah...that may be the only place within the loop that I would be semi-ok with it.  Create a "gaming district" over there and help revitalize that area.  That wouldn't be too bad.

35 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

BRING BACK CHAOS!

Stories 1 & 2: Ground floor retail

Stories 3-10: Parking Garage

Stories 11-20: AHHHHHHHHHHH HOLY SCHIT ITS COMPLETE CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stories 21-40: Residential Condos

Story 41:  Rooftop Lounge

^^Outside of the gimmicky factor, I also wouldn't want this in the core because of the noise. I never go downtown because it is too congested for me (can we please shut down Broadway to vehicles?), but I don't think I would want to be downtown having to constantly hear the noise of a roller coaster plus the screams. It is bad enough I have to constantly hear those pedal taverns as they constantly scream, holler, sing, etc.

I like the polercoaster but I'd be more interested in the "skyspire", which might be  kind of like the London eye. 600 ft sounds just about right.  And it fits in a half an acre footprint!

The people who say it doesn't fit Nashville's brand should stuff it, there's got to be more to this town than sitting on a bar listening to music,

This is one of a very few ideas/proposals that would actually be tackier than the "Strings" guitar building within the loop. This belongs in NO cities CBD with the exception of Vegas which is essentially a big playground to start with...

I 100% agree that this Polercoaster concept is a complete gimmick, but Nashvillians, or at least many of them who post on this message board, have been clamoring for an observation tower for years, but now that we stand a realistic shot at actually getting one people are against it because it would also double as a thrill ride?  I'm not sure I understand.  

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I 100% agree that this Polercoaster concept is a complete gimmick, but Nashvillians, or at least many of them who post on this message board, have been clamoring for an observation tower for years, but now that we stand a realistic shot at actually getting one people are against it because it would also double as a thrill ride?  I'm not sure I understand.  

There's a pretty big difference between an architecturally striking observation tower, or accessible deck on a tall building, and a gimmicky tourist trap roller coaster downtown.

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

It looks more like a suburban water tower with a roller coaster wrapped around it.

I mean, personally, I think all observation towers are corny looking pointless gimmicks, but I guess I figure, if you are going to have one, why not have one that doubles as a ride instead of just being a place to look at stuff.  But thats just me.

I think it would be cool, all you guys are always complaining about boxes and now someone wants to possibly build a 600ft observation deck that you've all wanted that's also a roller coaster, and now you're complaining! This thing would look awesome at night! Yes it's a little tacky, but we would be one of like 6 cities in the world with something like that!! Sometimes you guys sound like you need to go join the historical society or the lady that lives in the gulch and have a pity party. End rant. 

2 hours ago, Titans10 said:

I think it would be cool, all you guys are always complaining about boxes and now someone wants to possibly build a 600ft observation deck that you've all wanted that's also a roller coaster, and now you're complaining! This thing would look awesome at night! Yes it's a little tacky, but we would be one of like 6 cities in the world with something like that!! Sometimes you guys sound like you need to go join the historical society or the lady that lives in the gulch and have a pity party. End rant. 

I just think it would look tacky in the CBD.  It would be perfect out at Opryland...but as someone mentioned, they're pretty sure the city won't allow that height out there.

So...I imagine the CBD is where they'll want to go.  The only place that may make a little sense would be across the river just north of the Titans' stadium next to where Top Golf is going to go.

9 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I just think it would look tacky in the CBD.  It would be perfect out at Opryland...but as someone mentioned, they're pretty sure the city won't allow that height out there.

So...I imagine the CBD is where they'll want to go.  The only place that may make a little sense would be across the river just north of the Titans' stadium next to where Top Golf is going to go.

I think it's the FAA rather than the city  that would have an issue with a 600 foot tower that close to the airport.

Archived