The ATX

48 East | 358' | 33-Stories | Proposed

This is a residential tower with a few office floors and will be 70 Rainey's neighbor.  It's awaiting city approval, and the original start date was mid-2016.  There was a lot of progress made this week towards the approval of the site plan.  So hopefully it will start soon.  This particular developer doesn't seem to bloviate about his projects like some do, so I don't have any information about the financing.  Here are some renderings from the developer's website:  

48%20East%202.png

48%20East%201.png

Austin Towers is reporting that the ground breaking is now set for December.  There has been conflicting information about the height of this project.  Austin Towers is reporting it as 31-stories, but the only released elevations have it as 33-stories.

The original site plan was withdrawn, and the new one confirms that this project is now two floors shorter at 31-stories.  Hopefully the shape of the tower isn't valued engineered as well into a boring square.

The new renderings lose some style points.  But the skyline along the river is filling in nicely.

9kdzUxF.png

The base.

TIXji34N.png

The location in the Rainey St. District.  This view of Downtown is a few years old.  There are a lot more new towers than depicted. 

0gtBcFn.png

This project looks to have had another change in height.  The "new" rendering in my previous post shows it as 31-stories.  But the latest elevations presented to the city show that it is back up to 33-stories and 358'.  The original height was 33-stories and 370'.

GudS6K6.png

0OrTgMp.png

Link

There has been no update about this project since the site plan was approved around the first of May.  But a permit was filed this past week for the the construction of this project, which is a good sign that this is moving forward.

Permit

There was an update of sorts earlier today.  This Statesman article functions more as a fluff piece from the developer saying "Hey, I'm still here" as other projects in the area are gaining more attention.  But anyway, the start date is set for later this year.

Tower crane plans were released Thursday.  This one will have two cranes, and the expected start date is not too far away -  October 30th.  This one is in the Rainey St. area on the East Side of Downtown near I-35.  

The West side has been where most of the taller high-rise construction activity has been for the past few years.  But the East side has a lot more tower proposals.  For some reason projects on the West side get underway much more quickly than the ones on the East side.  But anyway, if the projects on the East side from the University of Texas to the North and the river to the South get underway, there will be a pretty impressive line up of skyscrapers for a couple mile stretch along I-35. 

LYY00uX.png