The ATX

5th & Brazos | 375' | 33-Stories | Site Demo

This proposal is for apartments and a dual branded hotel.  Demolition on the site has been completed, and this supposedly has a 2016 start date.  But there are/were some legal issues holding up the site plan approval.

magellan4-1.jpg

Magellan1-1.jpg

Magellan2-1.jpg

Magellan3-1.jpg

Austin Design Commission

This is awesome news!  This one seemed to have stalled and looked like one of those "next cycle" projects.  But the site plan was approved and released late yesterday.  Developer updates tend to follow approved and released site plans.  Here's the site plan:  5th & Brazos.  The final building details including elevations should be attached to the permit in the near future.

New information added to the approved site plan shows that three floors were knocked off from the previously proposed height.  Oh well, at least this one is moving forward.  I was ready to write this one off.

Here's the new 33-story rendering.  We should be hearing news of a groundbreaking soon (I hope).  

The height reduction came from the podium and a reduced number of hotel levels.   (This was originally proposed as 47-50-stories and later reduced to 37.)  I would have guessed that a height reduction would have been due to a scaling back in the number of apartment levels instead.  This is right off of 6th St. where convenient hotel rooms for drunk tourists are popular.  There is no way in hell I would ever want to live in an apartment any where near that 6th St. mess.  The site has been used as a surface parking lot since the bank building on the site was demolished. 

LHJsNPo.png

Link

• Like 1

There appears to be yet another change in the height of this project.  It was originally proposed as over 500'; then just 400'.  The height was later reduced to 356', but it has now increased to 375'.  Here's the latest elevation from the updated site plan:  

yucZrLD.png

This project seemed to have stalled late last year.  But this morning retention plans for the excavation were released.  So a groundbreaking must be on the horizon.

This project continues to inch along.  A building permit was filed in August to begin construction of Phase I described as the "Pkg Garage Bldg & Open Deck."