19th & Broadway; Fallyn Apts. (26 stories, 295', 355 units); Fraye Hotel (16 stories/220 rooms); 2,500 sq. ft. ground retail; garage

MidTenn1

• 1 month later...

Loved me some Noshville!

If memory serves, Noshville shuttered that location early due to Obama-care related expenses and not just because of the pending redevelopment....

Noshville Closing

But come Dec. 27, the midtown Nashville location of the restaurant, one of two Loventhal owns, will be closing its doors in part because of Obamacare, he said.

“Having more than 50 full-time employees means you have to comply with the Affordable Care Act, and it was an unknown risk of how much it was going to cost,” he told The Daily Signal. “But it was going to be significant, and take a lot of time and labor to take care of the transition and the reporting and the forms.”

Loventhal originally planned to shutter the location within the first few months of 2016 after a developer purchased the building where Noshville’s has sat for the last 19 years. 

But when Loventhal learned he would be faced with the added expense of providing his more than 50 employees with health insurance come Jan. 1—he estimated it would cost between $70,000 and $100,000 annually—Loventhal decided to close Noshville’s doors before the provision of Obamacare overseeing businesses, the employer mandate, goes fully into effect.

“It’s an onerous bill, and for a small business, it’s a lot of time [to comply],” he said. “I’ve been studying this for three years, and I really couldn’t come up with a good answer, and I feel sorry for closing this business.”

Well then you should be extremely happy....those who lost their jobs probably less so. In case you never ate there you may be interested to know that the employees were well compensated between wages and tips. The majority of the staff who waited on me had worked for Noshville for over 10 years. 

Edited by Guest

^ ^ ^ I always thought the owner's reasoning for not wanting to reopen the Midtown restaurant at another location kinda flimsy ("I can't afford Obamacare for my employees").  If that is truly the case, why doesn't he also close his Green Hills and BNA locations?  Not meaning to get into a discussion here...just making a point. If anyone wants to converse with me directly via a personal message, that would be fine.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

He could not find a location with decent rent either.

So basically his business was suffering and he decided to blame it on Obamacare. I like Noshville, but there are countless other good options now, that hasn't always been the case. He wasn't able to adapt and compensate his employees adequately. It happens.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, markhollin said:

I always thought the owner's reasoning for not wanting to reopen the Midtown restaurant at another location kinda flimsy ("I can't afford Obamacare for my employees").  If that is truly the case, why doesn't he also close his Green Hills and BNA locations?

ACA compliance kicks in at 50 full-time equivalents. I don't know the specifics of Loventhal's business but I would bet he can operate his remaining locations while staying below that threshold, while keeping the Midtown location open (or opening future locations) would put him over it.

At that point it becomes an exercise of identifying your two most-profitable locations, or more likely in his case, deciding that relocating in the midst of downsizing wasn't worth the trouble.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been wondering that too. That stretch of Broadway is looking a little forlorn, with graffiti on the old Noshville location and the corner pub shut down. I know all that is because of investment by this group, Vandy, etc., but this limbo period is leaving that stretch looking rundown.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nightranger36 said:

Just don't tear down the historic house on the property and then not build anything! Isn't the house the one that someone was raising money to move it to the marathon motors area? Is that still in play?

That's what I was thinking.  If this project is dead, that means they'll tear the house down.  Someone needs to get over there and stop the demo! ;)

• Like 1