19th & Broadway; Fallyn Apts. (26 stories, 295', 355 units); Fraye Hotel (16 stories/220 rooms); 2,500 sq. ft. ground retail; garage

MidTenn1

On 1/13/2020 at 3:00 PM, smeagolsfree said:

It was built in 1888. That in itself was historic enough as there are not many buildings that age still standing.

But here is some background:

This two-story brick building is one(was) of the few remaining grand residences located near Music Row. A native of West Tennessee, Sam Warren (1851-1922) owned a wholesale dry goods business that operated on the Public Square. In 1900, he lived in Nashville with his wife Luella (1860-1929), son, mother-in-law, two boarders and an African-American house servant. In the modern era, the well preserved Richardsonian Romanesque-style dwelling has housed offices, including the architectural firm of Taylor & Crabtree from the 1950s through the 1980s, Atlantic Records in the 1990s and currently houses attorney’s offices. The building was restored in 1974 and nominated for a Metro Historical Commission Preservation Award the following year. Due to the immense redevelopment pressures in Midtown and Music Row, members of the community have expressed concern that this house may be demolished for condos or a high-rise hotel.

Bruce Crabtree and Warren Taylor were my bosses.

RIP....

2 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Bruce Crabtree and Warren Taylor were my bosses.

RIP....

Yeah...it's sad watching these cool, old structures meeting their demise.  Like the EMI building on 16th.  I spent 13 years writing there.  In that attic is where Kris Kristofferson wrote some of his hits.   Really hurt to watch it be torn down.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, 21jump said:

That building in the background is UGLY. Is that Embassy Suites?

I believe so. 

That hotel serves the limited service tourist (good for city to get more than high end travelers) and this new tower covers up the ugly facade (also good for aesthetic aspects of the city).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the fact that tower (actually 2) will front Broadway and be set back from West End. IIRC, the shorter tower will be next to B'way and the taller tower will be closer to West End. It will be more visible from more vantage points. In the view from the photo above, The former Palmer Plaza and a portion of Skyhouse will be visible. It will appear very dense from that spot on West End. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...