19th & Broadway; Fallyn Apts. (26 stories, 295', 355 units); Fraye Hotel (16 stories/220 rooms); 2,500 sq. ft. ground retail; garage

MidTenn1

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

I hope they can save the house.  I thought they were going to move it to Marathon Motorworks?

There was a public funding campaign was set up 3-4 years ago by some folks who wanted to buy the Warren House and pay to have it moved in whole the 1 mile north to Marathon Motorworks complex where it would be put on a new foundation.  The  costs for the house and move under normal circumstances was going to be something like $800,000, but then they ran into a further complication when N.E.S. informed them there would be $1 million more in expenses to temporarily subvert all the above ground wiring in the way between the two locations.  

More info in this article:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/04/12/preservationists-hope-save-historic-warren-house/82944494/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I worked in that old house between December of  1983 and March of 1985 for Bruce Crabtree. 

I'm really torn......Nashville needs to grow,  it needs greater residential densities in already existing neighborhoods and improved transit to address the growth.  But Nashville, unlike, say Louisville, does not have a lot of this old stock left-maybe the city could move it to East Nashville to Edgefield somewhere.

I dunno...just sayin.

I'm torn. Warm memories for that place.....I  worked with good people there.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Philip said:

I always wonder why they use lots with historic and interesting buildings when there are so many surface parking lots, empty lots, fast food, 60s and newer houses or 1 story businesses which are obviously under-utilizing the property, etc.

Because “they” can buy these properties when they go on the market and don’t give a sh*t about preserving the historic buildings on them.     Not being cynical and I agree with your sentiment, but it’s the reality of the market.    There are numerous (well, far fewer now) historic buildings in this city that are not under any historic or conversation zoning.    Many of them are not producing much, if any, income and are owned by people who don’t have the means or desire to renovate and preserve them or to continue to pay the increasing property taxes on them, so when they put them up for sale, there is no shortage of developers willing to pay top dollar.     Unfortunately, most of the time top dollar does not support keeping and renovating the historic building.    

This is why we, many of us, not all, celebrate the rare developer who chooses to preserve the great old buildings we have left.    Like the recently announced proposal to renovate Tuck Hinton’s church building in SoBro.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • smeagolsfree changed the title to 19th and Broadway; 355 Apts. (295 ft, 26 stories), 220 Room Hotel (16 Stories, 171 ft)
  • 2 months later...

So that would be looking east on Broadway, Hattie B's in the low building at front-center, right? If so, then the buildings will be on an e-w axis (i.e. most views to the south and north... not downtown/west Midtown). Should be about the same height as Skyhouse a block over. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great spot for a tower. Another surface lot bites the dust.

Notice that parking deck in front of the Palmer Plaza tower. I think as downtown land is going for as much as 10 million an acre that they'll stop doing this and switch to integrated / parking pedestals with the tower above. 

• Like 1