Worst Drivers Found In Two States

M. Brown

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

after living in mass. for a month, and having sat and observed many intersections, i have to agree that there are tons of bad drivers in mass. i just see so many more people doing idiotic things up here than i did down south. in the beginning i thought that everyone had to be agressive just to get where they needed to be going, but the closer i have observed drivers at intersections, the more i realize that people just don't understand right-of-way and other basics of traffic flow.

my personal fav. is when some idiot pulls left into stopped traffic but doesn't have enough room to actually straighten out, thus blocking incoming traffic on the other side, and that idiot honks her horn at the person in front of her and starts yelling, like it's the other person't fault for making her pull out and block traffic! this happened a couple of cars in front of me the other day and i just couldn't believe what i was seeing. that's just the tip of the iceberg of what i have seen in just 1 months time.

^ I've seen all those things you describe in every state I've driven in. MA is a safe place to drive, and if you can't hang with it, you suck at driving :).

And the list is still crap. If anyone shows me some real data on how bad we are, I'll consider it. Stories happen everywhere.

Also remember that the roads in NE are different than the rest of the country in many cases, so that has to be factored in as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh, yeah TOTALLY different! the roads up here are totally fudgeed up!

but i realize a lot of that has to do with the rough freeze/thaw cycles and the cost of fixing the roads. the thing that threw me off initially was that none of the lanes on the roads in new england are freshly painted, so you really have to pay attention to the signs on the sides of the road.

in the south, all the lanes are clearly and freshly painted, so you have time to get into the proper lanes without having to read the smaller signs on the sides of the road that tell which lanes are turn only, etc.

heh, yeah TOTALLY different! the roads up here are totally fudgeed up!

but i realize a lot of that has to do with the rough freeze/thaw cycles and the cost of fixing the roads. the thing that threw me off initially was that none of the lanes on the roads in new england are freshly painted, so you really have to pay attention to the signs on the sides of the road.

in the south, all the lanes are clearly  and freshly painted, so you have time to get into the proper lanes without having to read the smaller signs on the sides of the road that tell which lanes are turn only, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, roads in the South are much better. I lived in FL for 8 years, and I must say the roads were better maintained, but more shoddily constructed. Winter also factors into roads conditions up here, like you said.

it is funny that road design/condition is mentioned.. a r.i. native would be able to validate this-- but i've always heard that some time ago.. every state recieved a huge amount of money to maintain/build roads.. and road island never recieved its share..

some stroy along those lines?? lol, im not sure

My friend actually just came back from Germany. He and I went out his first night back and during the course of the night he burst out "Holy ____, I forgot how bad these roads ____ing sucked!". He was only gone two and a half weeks. I think that covers the conditions.

As far as the layout you see more so, in the northeast, roads that weren't originally made for multiple-lane car traffic. I can't think of any urban area in the northeast outside of Manhattan that has a grid layout. Personally, I like it better this way regardless of how difficult it may make driving.

I also understand the attitude of "if you can't hang with it, you suck at driving", that describes 75% of the people I know, sometimes myself included. Okay, most of the time but come on, really:

left lane = passing lane

right lane = slow as you want

somewhere in between = somewhere in between

If you're in the left lane and you don't like how fast the guy behind you is catching up, tough. You're not the law nor the sole keeper of the road. See? Even talking about driving makes me a prick. I despise cars anyways, and the fact that our communities are ordered in a way that makes it almost impossible to get everywhere you need to go without one. Damn Herbert Hoover and his damn "car in every garage" poisonous lies! As a nation, we (metaphorically) promoted the disease as a miracle drug. Never mind, I'll stop before I go on a rant that you've probably already read. Time to go to sleep, huh? ;) .....America? ;) ......I'm tired :( .

:rofl:  I hate cars, I hate driving, and I hate other drivers.  Everytime I get in a car I become instantly transformed into a miserable maniac and the rest of the world becomes my enemy, as I think to myself 'son of a b*tch I can't wait til I can move away from the "American Dream" and never ever ever have to drive again...'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha!

I've gotta second ya'all on this one. I've been riding my bike or walking to work for the past coupla weeks and I've gotta say that it is an entirely more pleasant experience.

I'm convinced that if everyone got out of the their insulated little (or obnoxiously) gigantic metal and glass cocoons many of our problems would be solved all by themselves...

• 5 months later...

http://www.projo.com/opinion/letters/conte...i.125f3a02.html

I dont think i'm a bad driver... (only been driving for a year now)

but really... if you could switch lanes with no speed, blinker, cut people off, speed, run a red light with few cars around, or do whatever may be wrong in the driving world, speed, and NOT GET CAUGHT, then why not do it?

I know it isn't right, and just because of this "fact" that most of our state sucks at driving, I try my best to be a friendly driver, but I feel that the legal action/enforcement on bad drivers is 1. hard to enforce in the 1st place, and 2. not being enforced as well as it could be.

fines should be increased for every violation, those intersection cameras should be put up (beginning with the busy ones), and a I believe when you renew your liscence, you currently only have to take the driving test. I think the written test should be added to that as well.. unless i'm wrong and that is already a requirement.

Because when you have an accident you will definitly be in a deep hole. This past summer in CT a truck owned by American Crushing and Recycling of Bloomfield came plowing down dangerous RT. 44 in Avon, CT (about 10 minutes outside of Hartford) killing I belive 4 people, injuring about 13, and destroying peoples lives. American Crushing and Recycling was brought to court, the company has been taken over by the State of CT, the assests have been freezed and many are not even sure the victims will receive awards. Rules for trucking companies that are in CT or travel through CT are among the strictest rules in the country now thanks to this incident causing headaches for everyone else who had previously follwed the laws.

fines should be increased for every violation, those intersection cameras should be put up (beginning with the busy ones), and a I believe when you renew your liscence, you currently only have to take the driving test. I think the written test should be added to that as well.. unless i'm wrong and that is already a requirement.

There's a written test in driver's ed class before you get your learner's permit, but that's it.

• 4 weeks later...

Because when you have an accident you will definitly be in a deep hole. This past summer in CT a truck owned by American Crushing and Recycling of Bloomfield came plowing down dangerous RT. 44 in Avon, CT (about 10 minutes outside of Hartford) killing I belive 4 people, injuring about 13, and destroying peoples lives. American Crushing and Recycling was brought to court, the company has been taken over by the State of CT, the assests have been freezed and many are not even sure the victims will receive awards. Rules for trucking companies that are in CT or travel through CT are among the strictest rules in the country now thanks to this incident causing headaches for everyone else who had previously follwed the laws.

And also, the tolls were removed on I-95 due the incident of trucks crashing into the toll plaza. Still, your moving about 35mph through Fairfield and New Haven Counties anyways on I-95. Put me on the Merritt anyday or better yet, I-84.

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot, they had to do a survey to figure this out? They could've saved themselves the money if they had just asked me first. :blink:

I probably woulda ranked Mass drivers worse than RI'ers, though. But I think that has something to do with the fact that most of the Mass drivers are see are day-tripping through RI (and consequently driving about 80 mph).

Seriously, RI drivers are bad. Bad bad. Aggressive and uncontrolled. Like inner-city drivers (think NYC) but without all the experience ...

• 4 weeks later...

Shoot, they had to do a survey to figure this out? They could've saved themselves the money if they had just asked me first. :blink:

I probably woulda ranked Mass drivers worse than RI'ers, though. But I think that has something to do with the fact that most of the Mass drivers are see are day-tripping through RI (and consequently driving about 80 mph).

Seriously, RI drivers are bad. Bad bad. Aggressive and uncontrolled. Like inner-city drivers (think NYC) but without all the experience ...

i agree about MA drivers. i see more problems in MA than in RI and get frustrated more around MA drivers than RI drivers.

blocking intersections happens more in MA that i've seen. although i see a lot more left turns from the right lane (and vice versa) in RI. the biggest problem i see in MA is busy highway on and off ramps. people don't know how to take turns and it causes more of a backup.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived