98 14th Street - 74-Stories - 920' - Proposed

Lady Celeste

98th 14th Street - Proposed residential tower for Midtown.

ohm-wlad-02-towercam03-01b.jpg

Since this will be the tallest building built in Atlanta in quite some time, I thought it deserved its own thread. I am sure there will be much to discuss. It reminds me of a much shorter version of 832 Park Avenue. I love the simplicity of the design.  

ohm-lad-03-tower-cam04-01b.jpg

ohm-wlad-03-tower-building-03.jpg

ohm-wlad-03-towercam-04-daylight-03b.jpg

ohm-wlad-02-towercam05-04b.jpg

More information to come.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More deets on the 98 Fourteen Street project:

Tower 1

74 Stories

920 Feet Tall

382 Condominiums

180 Corporate Suites

60,370 Square Feet of Retail

Fronting 14th Street

Start date - October or November 2016

Tower 2

68 Stories

Early in concept design

Estimated 850 Feet Tall

Luxury Hotel

Luxury Apartments

Start date - ?

• 2 weeks later...

More renderings....

The base of the building.

20160712213335_00003.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=

20160712213335_00005.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=

For perspective purposes, the second tower will be constructed to the left of Tower A in the pictures. 

The good news is that this project has solidified the Midtown Alliance's resolve to construct the "Arts Walk".

?format=750w

I mention this because upon viewing the base of 98 14th Street, one could come away with a sterile view of the base. Per the DRC meeting discussing this proposal, instead of 14th Street facing retail, the retail will front this pedestrian only walkway. As more specifics come out regarding the "Arts Walk", I'm sure they will be shared in the Midtown Atlanta section. 

Oh I just noticed the separate thread for this.  I'm so used to just reading the top of the page.  If this project is able to move forward as quickly as the developers hope, I imagine this thread will get a lot of activity.  

I agree about the street level appearing somewhat sterile and I wish that the architects of these glass towers could figure out how to transition into something more inviting at the street level.  

Under normal circumstances I would not have made a separate thread. If this was some generic 35 story office building or 40 story residential building, I would have simply shrugged my shoulders and happily placed this in the Midtown thread. There have been so many buildings proposed, under construction or recently built that I find it difficult to get too excited about yet another 40 story apartment building.

This proposal is extraordinary. This will become Atlanta's second tallest building. I wish the developer could have raised the crown 80' taller to give us a second super tall. I am, however, very thrilled about the prospect of Atlanta gaining a new second tallest. I was a little girl when Atlanta's first, second and third tallest buildings were built. This proposal has finally gotten me excited. This will be skyline changing as well as adding density to the area. I will add that I am also really excited about the changes that are taking place in Midtown. This development cycle has been light on office space but blazing when it comes to residential. 

I look forward to seeing the retail component of this development as well as that of Colony Square. The Arts Walk will go a long way to increasing pedestrian connectivity with all of this new retail coming on board. 

Or the developers could have done what a couple of the new tallest's have done in LA and Philadelphia and stick an antenna on the top and call it a supertall.  In LA especially, people are making fun of the fact that you can look down on the roof the "new tallest" from the top floor of the current tallest. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Martinman said:

Or the developers could have done what a couple of the new tallest's have done in LA and Philadelphia and stick an antenna on the top and call it a supertall.  In LA especially, people are making fun of the fact that you can look down on the roof the "new tallest" from the top floor of the current tallest. :rolleyes:

Hahaha...

23698023881_75bf5dab5c_o.jpg

Maybe the developers could add two spires...one on the west side and one on the east side of the building. Make the two spires 300' and then Atlanta could reclaim its title as having the tallest building outside of NYC and Chicago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The following two permits were filed for the 98 14th St site on September 30th. 

09/30/2016
QCR-2016-01050
Commercial Quality Control Review
98 14TH ST NE, ATLANTA GA 30309
Land Disturbance-Sales Center, and infrastructure. Prepare for temporary 4,000 sq ft one story building with surface parking lot and boardwalk.
Land Disturbance-Sales Center

09/30/2016
LD-201600091
Commercial Land Development
98 14TH ST NE, ATLANTA GA 30309
Land Disturbance-Sales Center, and infrastructure. Prepare for temporary 4,000 sq ft one story building with surface parking lot and boardwalk.
Land Disturbance-Sales Center

Now it is too soon for me to do backflips up and down Georgetown Pike BUT this at least this shows some forward momentum on the proposal. I really hope there is some success with sales. This is one of my favorite proposals...and YES, it is because of the height and increased density.  

• 1 month later...

The proposal now has a name and a website......

The proposed condominium building....which will be the tallest residential building in Atlanta....will now be named Opus Place. A new website has also been launched. 

http://opusplaceatlanta.com/

You can also read more information regarding the announcement in the Atlanta Business Chronicle..

Opus Place Atlanta

5 hours ago, Dale said:

Checked out the article on Curbed Atlanta. And almost to a person, commenters are expressing skepticism that this will ever be built:

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/11/18/13660054/midtown-opus-place-98-14th-street-atlanta-condo

Nothing new really.  People have questioned Midtown's development every step of the way.  People said they would never sell the condos built in the last boom cycle.  Some are still questioning the market for the current development in Midtown.  The skepticism is kind of understandable since such a development is somewhat unprecedented, especially in Midtown. We shall certainly find out.

• 3 weeks later...

Waldorf-Astoria coming to Midtown  

I had speculated back in May that Waldorf Astoria was one of the flags that could potentially land at Opus Place in Midtown. Well, it looks like I may have been right. This is a wonderful flag to add to Atlanta's extremely deep ultra luxury hotel offerings. Not only will the hotel land in the 74 story building but Waldorf Astoria will also brand the residences of the building. I'm glad that the momentum is moving forward with this project.

Waldorf Astoria Hotel and Residences

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:24 PM, Lady Celeste said:

Waldorf-Astoria coming to Midtown  

I had speculated back in May that Waldorf Astoria was one of the flags that could potentially land at Opus Place in Midtown. Well, it looks like I may have been right. This is a wonderful flag to add to Atlanta's extremely deep ultra luxury hotel offerings. Not only will the hotel land in the 74 story building but Waldorf Astoria will also brand the residences of the building. I'm glad that the momentum is moving forward with this project.

Waldorf Astoria Hotel and Residences

It turns out that this will not be a Waldorf.   The developer was apparently in talks with Waldorf but those ended in June when they decided against having the Waldorf branding for No2 Opus Place ( the first tower).

According to the VP at Berkshire Hathway HomeServices Georgia Properties’ CITY HAUS Division, Kerman Haynes, “Waldorf Astoria will not be involved in Midtown Atlanta’s newest condominium tower, No2 Opus Place. While developers were at one point in discussions with Waldorf Astoria, these talks ended in June 2016. Ownership elected to build a very special residential tower without a hotel component due to the strength of the condominium market in Atlanta.”

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/12/15/13964442/waldorf-astoria-atlanta-residences-midtown-opus-place

• 11 months later...

Archived