Broadstone Gulch, 14-stories, 238 apts, 4,000 sq. ft. of retail

markhollin

Well, look at Nashville's built environment versus Murfreesboro and there's basically you're entire answer right there.

A long way? It'd cost well over $50 million to bury all the lines just within the urban core, and I feel that's a pretty conservative number. Like I said, the problem is how to pay for all of this without a significant increase in rates because this would be a multi-year, if not decade, issue. I mean, it'd be nice, but there are more pressing matters to be had by Metro versus burying overhead lines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NashRugger said:

Well, look at Nashville's built environment versus Murfreesboro and there's basically you're entire answer right there.

A long way? It'd cost well over $50 million to bury all the lines just within the urban core, and I feel that's a pretty conservative number. Like I said, the problem is how to pay for all of this without a significant increase in rates because this would be a multi-year, if not decade, issue. I mean, it'd be nice, but there are more pressing matters to be had by Metro versus burying overhead lines.

Very fair points.  It would be difficult in the short term for any mayoral administration to sell the people on spending money burying power lines over funding for things like public schools and the police department.  That being said though, I really feel like it'd be worth the investment in the long run to essentially never have to worry about power outages or powerline/pole maintenence and replacement ever again, not to mention the vast improvement in the aesthetic appeal of the city overall.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Very fair points.  It would be difficult in the short term for any mayoral administration to sell the people on spending money burying power lines over funding for things like public schools and the police department.  That being said though, I really feel like it'd be worth the investment in the long run to essentially never have to worry about power outages or powerline/pole maintenence and replacement ever again, not to mention the vast improvement in the aesthetic appeal of the city overall.  

NES sends out people to survey yards and whatnot to keep clear paths of 10 or so feet on either side of the power lines. Since our house is set back a distance from the road, they ran the power lines and poles back to behind our home. Unfortunately, since they implemented the aforementioned policy of keeping a clear path (namely in order to get their trucks and equipment through the yard if necessary), it meant a number of our trees and shrubs had to be removed  (including, alas, our most beautiful maple tree in our front yard).

I spoke to one of their "tree men" and asked the costs of simply burying the lines. A nuisance we have out here that happens upwards of a half-dozen or more times a year is that a squirrel will scale the high poles and accidentally touch the metal canister thing  below the top. If it so much as does that, you hear the BZZZ and an explosion a split second later, knocking out the power (with the carcass of the poor critter laying down below). He said if the average customer were to foot the bill for the costs of burying the lines, they'd as soon keep the poles.

The implication being it would double or even triple current electric costs, and that just wouldn't fly for most consumers here. :(

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

But with the new technology that we heard about regarding the underground tunnel for our transit system, isn't it time to begin to push this?  Also, if anyone saw the salaries of a LARGE number of NES employees in a recent Green Hills News article, trimming a few of those would go a long way toward starting moving lines underground.  Also, how can Murfreesboro have so many underground  and Nashville so few?

Because Nashville didn't require underground until about 15 years ago 

47 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Snapped hastily going south on 8th earlier. I drove past this a couple of hours ago and it’s absolutely looms over you when you’re going into south loop on 65 North, especially at night. It’s imposing for only being like 14 stories. 

B09766E6-FCAA-400C-905B-5263068E47BA.jpeg

All I see is the "Don't Shut Down 8th Ave! - Keep 8th 4 Lanes.com" billboard. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, wreynol4 said:

This really is a solid, infill building for this part of town. Backing up to the highway gives it good presence. 

It really is huge coming from 65 south into south loop. If something substantial is built on the adjacent RJ Young property it would make quite an intimidating wall along the highway there. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...