Overbrook Lofts

gman430

• 3 weeks later...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Near Overbrook Lofts...

Overbrook Village. At the corner of East North Street + Chestnut Street, the mixed-use development will border the Overbrook Historic District and Greenline-Spartanburg Neighborhood. Overbrook Village will feature three commercial retail spaces, plus eight townhomes, each starting at $369,000.

Overbrook Village

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Near Overbrook Lofts...

Overbrook Village. At the corner of East North Street + Chestnut Street, the mixed-use development will border the Overbrook Historic District and Greenline-Spartanburg Neighborhood. Overbrook Village will feature three commercial retail spaces, plus eight townhomes, each starting at $369,000.

Overbrook Village

I've longed hoped for a revived or new neighborhood commercial center for Overbrook. Based on the rendering, I wish the parking was a bit more concealed. Hopefully this spins off additional development and brings in good neighborhood-focused retail. Creating a center for commerce could be a first step in re-establishing a streetcar line one day. 

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I've longed hoped for a revived or new neighborhood commercial center for Overbrook. Based on the rendering, I wish the parking was a bit more concealed. Hopefully this spins off additional development and brings in good neighborhood-focused retail. Creating a center for commerce could be a first step in re-establishing a streetcar line one day. 

There's been some progress (I live in the area). The Shaw Pharmacy shopping center was purchased and repainted with new awnings installed. Current tenants are Shaw Pharmacy, Given (boutique), hair salon and a Oxford Barber currently being upfitted. Fork and Plough is still kicking. The strip mall across from Overbrook Church (1700 E North) was renovated. Currently has the laundromat, a barbershop which opened and a money order place. An old law firm at 1617 East North was purchased and renovated into OASE Day Spa which just opened.

I agree that the parking should be hid better. I actually wished they had developed more townhouses in place of the parking lot somehow.

Edited by johnpro318
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

There's been some progress (I live in the area). The Shaw Pharmacy shopping center was purchased and repainted with new awnings installed. Current tenants are Shaw Pharmacy, Given (boutique), hair salon and a Oxford Barber currently being upfitted. Fork and Plough is still kicking. The strip mall across from Overbrook Church (1700 E North) was renovated. Currently has the laundromat, a barbershop which opened and a money order place. An old law firm at 1617 East North was purchased and renovated into OASE Day Spa which just opened.

I agree that the parking should be hid better. I actually wished they had developed more townhouses in place of the parking lot somehow.

That's great to hear -- I appreciate the rundown! 

• 7 months later...
14 hours ago, apaladin said:

I don’t see how anyone can afford to build now. Last year at this time a sheet of osb was $9, now it is $42 plus. That’s just one material. Many materials are in short supply too. 

Looking at all of the homes getting built in this area right now, I would say it’s a lot. Oh and it’s gonna have a big tower crane. :D 

Edited by gman430

15 hours ago, apaladin said:

I don’t see how anyone can afford to build now. Last year at this time a sheet of osb was $9, now it is $42 plus. That’s just one material. Many materials are in short supply too. 

I don't know anything about the construction business, but could it be that these projects have contracts for materials at the old prices?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

That's a disappointing design for what is a fairly high profile site. They could have really played up a nod to the adjacent historic neighborhood. This is a standard apartment building that could be located anywhere in Greenville County.

Agree, this design is not fit for something within city limits IMO.  Looks like something you'd throw out onto a rural highway somewhere in the county.

The Planning Commission does not consider 'design' in its decisions, that is the purview of the DRB.  The DRB did an informal review last night, but the meeting ran so long on prior items that I couldn't stay on to listen to their comments. The formal review would be next month I expect. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:28 AM, vicupstate said:

I had been meaning to post about this. I live on the opposite side of I-385, so they sent out a notice to nearby residents about a month ago.  It is a great location, but it will be located behind some fairly run down apartments. 

Edited by Galley
Added clarity

28 minutes ago, btoy said:

No, but its certainly harder to keep rents affordable with unnecessary additional expenses related to aesthetics.  

Yes, you'd spend more money on design fees to have an architect use their brain and be creative, but that does not necessarily mean that the construction cost would also rise. There are creative solutions out there that are in the same ballpark price range as these proposed materials. Instead, they've taken a building that they've constructed before (in a VERY different contextual location) and are adapting to a site plan. I hope the DRB give 'em hell.