East Village

The Rail Yard opened yesterday.  It is calling itself an urban beer garden with a space for rotating food trucks along with the permanent location of Count Porkula BBQ.  Also of importance for East Village the Residences at Harbortown, 168  unit apartment development, has applied for its plumbing permit.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Holiday Inn Express

DLTzfc.jpg

YHFbEj.jpg

Rock City Yacht Club. It will be adding a good amount of people living in East Village. The only problem I have is that RCYC does not have direct access to the west except on East 6th thanks to the Clinton Library turning it's back and fencing off the neighborhood to the east.

qnv2Wf.jpg

MwZhR6.jpg

9lj164.jpg

pkMX1z.jpg

SjwJe9.jpg

Th9K6b.jpg

OGl3e5.jpg

yZWqdf.jpg

ghx9y5.jpg

pMzBQx.jpg

This building on East 6th is being looked at for redevelopment.

foKtUD.jpg

On 7/25/2020 at 7:31 PM, skirby said:

Holiday Inn Express

DLTzfc.jpg

YHFbEj.jpg

Rock City Yacht Club. It will be adding a good amount of people living in East Village. The only problem I have is that RCYC does not have direct access to the west except on East 6th thanks to the Clinton Library turning it's back and fencing off the neighborhood to the east.

qnv2Wf.jpg

MwZhR6.jpg

9lj164.jpg

pkMX1z.jpg

SjwJe9.jpg

Th9K6b.jpg

OGl3e5.jpg

yZWqdf.jpg

ghx9y5.jpg

pMzBQx.jpg

This building on East 6th is being looked at for redevelopment.

foKtUD.jpg

The original plans also calls for a floating restaurant at the marina. I’ve wonder if there’s plan for the floating restaurant despite the Covid-19 outbreak?

Cathead's is permanently closed.  I thought this might be Donnie Fernau's success as the food was good and the crowds were fairly large when I was there.  Sadly, it was not to be.

Rumor is that McClard's of Hot Springs will open in the former Cathead's location.   Beasley Properties, the owners of Bones Chophouse, J&S Italian Villa, and the Copper Penny Irish Pub in Hot Springs, recently purchased McClard's.  

Cathead's is permanently closed.  I thought this might be Donnie Fernau's success as the food was good and the crowds were fairly large when I was there.  Sadly, it was not to be.
Rumor is that McClard's of Hot Springs will open in the former Cathead's location.   Beasley Properties, the owners of Bones Chophouse, J&S Italian Villa, and the Copper Penny Irish Pub in Hot Springs, recently purchased McClard's.  

Honestly, a victim of COVID. Buffet type formats are DOA for the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/3/2020 at 9:59 AM, Arkanzin said:

According to Rock City Eats Beasley Properties says the Cathead location is not going to happen.

18 hours ago, skirby said:

According to Rock City Eats Beasley Properties says the Cathead location is not going to happen.

Yeah, I read that.  McClard's might have made sense in that visitors to the Clinton Library could mozy over to McClard's.  That's about the only reason I could think for McClard's at that location.

Yeah, I read that.  McClard's might have made sense in that visitors to the Clinton Library could mozy over to McClard's.  That's about the only reason I could think for McClard's at that location.

Plus, in my opinion, McClard’s isn’t that great anyway.

12 minutes ago, Architect said:

Plus, in my opinion, McClard’s isn’t that great anyway.

I haven't eaten at McCard's in years but I agree. As I remember it was just another example of Arkansas BBQ. If you want pork go to Memphis and if your want beef go to Texas because for some reason nothing matches up here in the in between.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skirby said:

I haven't eaten at McCard's in years but I agree. As I remember it was just another example of Arkansas BBQ. If you want pork go to Memphis and if your want beef go to Texas because for some reason nothing matches up here in the in between.

Maybe BBQ Chicken would be more appropriate for Arkansas.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, skirby said:

Holiday Inn Express. Streets around it are closed due to I-30  construction. Also, you can see what is left of an old warehouse building demolished because of the I-30 construction.

I hope this hotel gets more interesting...looks pretty uninspired in its current form anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 3:54 PM, skirby said:

Holiday Inn Express. Streets around it are closed due to I-30  construction. Also, you can see what is left of an old warehouse building demolished because of the I-30 construction.

spacer.png

ARDOT paid over $8 million for the warehouse and property to demolish it. The building had been used for paper storage for the printing press down the street.  The press is only being used for one daily and a number of Sunday only newspapers around the state. I wonder how long before  the printing press location  is sold off for redevelopment?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, skirby said:

ARDOT paid over $8 million for the warehouse and property to demolish it. The building had been used for paper storage for the printing press down the street.  The press is only being used for one daily and a number of Sunday only newspapers around the state. I wonder how long before  the printing press location  is sold off for redevelopment?

I imagine Walter Hussman is holding on to the property as long as possible to maximize his profit on the sale of that land.  

• 2 months later...

The building at 1020 East 6th is ready for leasing. It is located south of Lost Forth and west of the Rail Yard.

spacer.png

If you head east on 6th and take a left on Bond St. before you get to the entrance leading to the under construction Rock City Yacht Club you will find  single family homes being built. Below are the first two of a number that should be constructed soon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, a permit has been issued for the the old Cathead's location. The permit list the name as the Sterling Market. I haven't seen any details on what it will be.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Arkansas Business is reporting that the old Cathead's Diner in the Paint Factory will be replaced by a food-hall restaurant to be called  Sterling Market. It will be owned by the owner of Fidel & Co, which is across the street. The new operation will include a butcher shop, pizza option, a bakery, greens/sandwich station as well as a bar and a grab and go area.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Arkansas Symphony Orchestra  announced plans today to build a new headquarters on the grounds of Heifer International. The Stella Boyle Smith  Music Center will include the following according to the ASO:

• a Grand Hall for rehearsals and concerts,
  • multiple on-site practice spaces,
  • state-of-the-art music classrooms,
  • a dedicated streaming studio to serve students across the state,
  • climate-controlled instrument storage,
  • and additional flexible space to serve future generations of Arkansans.     

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

More good new for the East Village. The Heifer International complex is being sold although Heifer International will consolidate to the top two floors. The building will also become home to the  Lyon College Institute of Health Sciences. Lyon will develop Arkansas' first dental and veterinary schools at this  location.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...