Gigabit fiber internet in Grand Rapids

I've just been hooked up with Lightspeed gigabit internet at Union Square.  Their service is available in several downtown-area residential developments and they also apparently are offering 10gbit service as well.  I know several folks were hoping for Google Fiber to show up, but it looks like we now have a local provider option that is offering the same speeds at a lower price. I have been in touch with the CEO of this company throughout the approval and permitting process with the city and the building.  The guy responds to email/tweets/phone calls nearly immediately and is excited about interfacing with the public.  Try doing that with the CEO of Comcast :P

I've only been running this for a few days but so far so good, the speeds are what they advertise and my experience with their support has been excellent.

gkgdnHR.png

I'm hoping this is the start of what Google said was their intention: forcing the national providers into upgrading their systems and offerings, or creating market awareness allowing startups to enter into markets previously dominated by the major providers with a differentiated product.  At the end of the day, Google's efforts have paved the way to allow this to happen, so while we never did get Google fiber in town, some GR residents do now have a similar option at a competitive price.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I live in the Westside area a few blocks from Stocking Elementary School.. Fall of last year I signed up for AT&T's fiber service as soon as it was available in my area. 1 gig up and down for 70 bucks per month. In addition Comcast decided that their stupid monthly data caps were more important than getting my money. So after nearly 7 years with being on Comcast's not so reliable service I was very happy to tell them were they can shove their equipment and then give them the atomic middle finger.  Been very happy with my new fiber internet service since. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tamias6 said:

I live in the Westside area a few blocks from Stocking Elementary School.. Fall of last year I signed up for AT&T's fiber service as soon as it was available in my area. 1 gig up and down for 70 bucks per month. In addition Comcast decided that their stupid monthly data caps were more important than getting my money. So after nearly 7 years with being on Comcast's not so reliable service I was very happy to tell them were they can shove their equipment and then give them the atomic middle finger.  Been very happy with my new fiber internet service since. 

Thanks for sharing. Fellow Westsider here, closer to Sibley elementary school,  bummed that the ATT&T's gigabit service isn't offered over here. Can't wait to give Comcast that same atomic middle finger. 

• 8 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 9:07 AM, thebeerqueer said:

Thanks for sharing. Fellow Westsider here, closer to Sibley elementary school,  bummed that the ATT&T's gigabit service isn't offered over here. Can't wait to give Comcast that same atomic middle finger. 

I work for ATT, if anyone is interested in seeing if Fiber internet is available yet in their area, you can message me here or even easier, send me a text at 616-264-4820

6 hours ago, gvsusean said:

I work for ATT, if anyone is interested in seeing if Fiber internet is available yet in their area, you can message me here or even easier, send me a text at 616-264-4820

I live on a major trunk road and have watched them stringing fiber in front of my house.  There's an AT&T switch building of some kind about 1/4 mile down the road.  Yet, AT&T says fiber isn't available at my house.  Are they limiting installations to areas with critical mass?  

On 3/3/2021 at 7:19 PM, Allison Slater said:

At this point I'm just looking forward to Starlink.

Isn’t starling relatively low speed compared to fiber? Like 150mbps max to start?  It’s impressive from accessibility perspective, but imagine metro areas will be better served by fiber in the near term. 

Joe

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, Allison Slater said:

Hmm I suppose you're right. Welp.

Don't lose hope on Starlink. The system is far from complete with tens of thousands more satellites still to to be launched into orbit before all is said and done with. In the meantime, Starlink may not be as fast as fiber. But the more satellites go into orbit, the faster internet connections will get. Eventually every square inch of the entire planet will be covered by broadband low latency internet access measuring in the multi gigabits.