IMAX Theater

NWAProud

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really sure why they don't have one myself.  I wish the Razorback 16 would of added one when they added the screens a few years ago.  I see markets much smaller than ours that have them now.  Probably just a matter of time.  I keep thinking that the old Fiesta Square theater will close and AMC, Malco, or Cinemark would build a new theater around the Wedington exit.  

At least Fayetteville is finally getting the 3 screen independent theater on Dickson.  Assuming that still gets done over the next year or so.  

It boggles the mind

I've pushed for the the front facade of the UArk to be saved  but an Imax screen or two built behind it on Dickson in partnership with WAC.

During the day, it shows the educational, science museum fare for the local school children and first run features at night.

1 hour ago, aerotive said:

I think the basic problem is lack of population, and what's here is too spread out.  What smaller markets have an IMAX?

we watched a movie one night on our trip out west at Amarillo on an Imax screen.

MSA of 250,000

3 hours ago, TRB said:

we watched a movie one night on our trip out west at Amarillo on an Imax screen.

MSA of 250,000

Looked it up, Amarillo's almost 200k people and it's almost 4x as dense as Fayetteville.  But I'd think that our greater population would offset that.

Lubbock, TX (MSA 311,000) has an IMAX and an Alamo Drafthouse, along with a few other theaters.

Bossier City (MSA 441,000) has an IMAX.

It boggles my mind. The movie theater market up here moves at a snail's pace. The new Razorback wasn't even built until we hit the ~440,000 mark. It was a total embarrassment prior to that. 

I don't see those cities being that much denser than NWA.  Springdale and Fayetteville are basically a contiguous city of 160,000 now.  Look at the bands that play at the AMP.  An IMAX would draw people from the entire region and from the Fort Smith metro.  I am not really a movie guy, but I don't see any demographic reason why NWA doesn't have an IMAX theater.

23 hours ago, aerotive said:

All of of these I can understand.  Springfield is 2x the size of any city in NWA, and much denser.  Lubbock's 3x the size and much denser.  Branson's a tourist trap, that's why they have one.

Bossier City's a gambling town, meaning tourists.

I used to live in Temple, Texas (around 70,000 people).  It's just a standard city, no tourists and not dense.  I moved back to Fayetteville 4 years ago and somehow they got an IMAX added to their theater in the mall.  Then Cinemark build another theater a couple miles away.  I was shocked to here about the IMAX to say the least...

Archived