Peabody Union (27 story residential, 354 units, 251,000 sq. ft. office, 50,000 sq. ft. retail), Peabody Plaza (9-story, 280,000 sq. ft. office), & 4 smaller buildings, MDHA Trolley Barn sites

markhollin

The initial renderings of the 5-building winning-bid for MDHA lots 1 & 2 near the Trolley Barns at KVB and Hermitage Avenues next to the Cumberland River.

The Hensler portion is the 20-story glass residential tower, along with several two-story brick retail buildings that will echo the style and red/brown brick of the Trolley Barns and the water processing plant that borders both lots. There is also a long 3-story glass structure that resembles the glass/metal style of the Eakin office building. Not sure if this is a massive parking garage or more retail (or both). One unique aspect of the tower is that the roadway running from SE to NW dissecting the middle of Lot 1 will run through a 3-story-tall tunnel/opening in the base of the residential tower allowing for views of the riverfront skyline from within the complex at ground level.

The Eakin 5-story, 150,000 sq. foot glass/metal office building will run the length of Lot 2 facing Hermitage Avenue. There will also be some retail as part of the lot, and some green space facing the trolley barns.  Hard to tell if there are parking levels underground.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/07/28/sneak-peek-residential-office-and-retail-coming-near-trolley-barns/87645424/

Overall, except for the 3-story opening at the base of the Hensler structure, the designs are the epitome of mediocrity (something akin to what one might find in a suburban office park), and not only show a lack of vision, but also seriously under-utlize these massive spaces.  What could have been a landmark set of buildings that would be part of the gateway into the CDB/SoBro from across the KVB Bridge, are insufficient and, dare I say it, lame. 

For those who wish to voice their concern over this disconcerting decision, please do so to Jim Harbison, MDHA's Executive Director at [email protected]. His office line is 615-252-8410.  Media/Communications line is 615-252-8420, and e-mail is [email protected].  also, contact Mayor Barry's office: [email protected].  Also two others involved in community development are Erik Cole and Lonnell Matthews; [email protected] and [email protected]

v.Eakin Hensler MDHA render 1, July, 2016.jpeg

Eakin Hensler MDHA render 2, July, 2016.jpeg

MDHA Trolley Barn site map.png

Looking NW from the Trolley Barns at Lot 1:

MDHA Lot 1 view .png

Eakin Hensler MDHA render 3, July, 2016.png

Eakin Hensler MDHA render 4, July, 2016.png

Eakin Hensler MDHA render 5, July, 2016.png

Eakin Hensler MDHA render 6, July, 2016.png

Eakin Hensler MDHA render 7, July, 2016.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

These designs by Eakin and Hensler are not only insufficient for the prominence that these sites as the gateway into this city deserve, they are lame.  It is disconcerting how MDHA could think that they were superior in any way to most of the other candidates.  I am writing to the MDHA leadership to voice my profound disappointment, and challenge them to reconsider this decision, or at least go back to Eakin/Hensler to resubmit better ideas.

I think it's reasonable to ask what their thoughts were in selecting this proposal, but the decision has likely been made. This was only a rendering for an RFP. The true design of the buildings and sites will start now that the developers have been awarded the land. 

• Like 1

Are they trying to show an REI in that second picture? Ha, or another brand that has that exact same logo. 

I cannot figure out what it's going to look like from the other side of the river/driving into Nashville on the interstate? Am I missing a view from that way, is it going to just be a big wall of glass?

Something like this?

FromTheEast.jpg

• Like 2

My eyes and heart ache. I expected so much more for this spot. What a wasted opportunity.

I can usually wrap my head around "out there" designs, but there is no redeeming quality here. I only hope that the design evolves/improves throughout the planning stage. Or just doesn't happen at all.

Does anyone have Alex Palmer's number? We may need his magic touch.

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

yes, they are quoted as wanting a retail store along the lines of REI in this project

That would be nice, REI is Brentwood has always seemed super cramped in that spot and the traffic they would get would be exponentially bigger I would think. Google image their other stores and they can have some impressive interiors with the right space. 

I would also encourage emails to Mayor Barry.  This is a travesty and cannot be justified....ANY of the others were far superior and offered something that fit the prime spot much better in my opinion.   Her email is [email protected].  Also two others involved in community development are Erik Cole and Lonnell Matthews; [email protected] and [email protected].

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I just realized what that view shows @CenterHill What a odd odd layout.

KVB.png

That's what I mean.    Imagine an ingress road right there!    Traffic from the 1st Ave/Hermitage intersection already backs up well up the KVB ramp towards this location.   I'm no traffic engineer, but this makes no sense to me.  

• Like 3

Would those of you who have communicated with any of the aforementioned MDHA or other government staff please keep us up to date on any responses you receive? I'm sure we're all curious to hear more about the rationale that was part of this decision.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

4. From the renderings, parking looks to be in above-ground structures. Once again, inefficient use of the site. Of course, I'm no architect, but it seems to me that underground parking with access to all main corridors from within the garage would be a better use.  Then new structures above the garage(s) could be built at more interesting angles with compelling vistas from the junctions of pedestrian corridors. Plus, with u/g parking, there could be flexible ingress/egress to/from KVB and First Avenue (or is that Hermitage?) allowing for one-way traffic on days of big events at the Ascend theater or Preds/Titans games.  Seems to me that the ease of parking there combined with restaurants and stores in the commercial areas would be great draw before and after events. 

just to be fair, the reporters on this story have stated they were informed parking would be underground.

• Like 1

From the what-could've-been files.  Here are renderings and brief notes on some of the other bids for the two MDHA Trolley Lots. In alphabetical order developer's names.  My favorites are Matthews, Giarratana, and both of the ideas by Platinum:

Cambridge Holdings: $475 million. 6 buildings, including 3 in the 15-story range. 528 residential units, 568,000 sq. ft. of office, 113,000 sq. ft. of retail, and 246-room hotel:

MDHA Cambridge Holdings 1.png

MDHA Cambridge Holdings 2.png

Corner Partnership. $600 million. 50-story (520 ft. tall), 300 residential unit, 200-room hotel, and 250,000 sq. ft. of office space. 40-story, 300 residnetial unit, 250,000 sq. ft. of office space.  26-story, 300 residential unit, 60,000 sq. ft. of retail.  And a 3.5 acre park.

MDHA Corner Partnership.png

Crescent Communities/Pearl Street. $107 million. 24-story, 323 residential units.

MDHA Crescent Communites:Pearl Street.png

Flaherty/Collins. $200 million. 31-story, 396 unit residential. 17-story, 250,000 sq. ft. office.

MDHA Flaherty & Collins 1.png

MDHA Flaherty & Collins 2.png

Giarrantana/CIM Group. $750 million. 6 buildings. 31-story residential and 250,000 sq. ft. office. 27-story, 300 residential units. 23-story w/ 350,000 sq. ft. of office. 3 other smaller retail/office structures.

MDHA Giarratana:CIM 1.png

MDHA Giarratana:CIM 2.png

Matthews Company/SWH Residential Partners. 6 buildings altogether. 26-story w/ 390 residential units. 291,000 sq. ft. of office. 232-room hotel. 49,000 sq. ft. of retail. Large garage behind Trolley Barns.

MDHA Matthews Co.:SWH 1.png

MDHA Matthews:SWH 2.png

MDHA Matthews:SWH 3.png

MDHA Matthews:SWH 4.png

Platinum. Tallest portion of J-structure would be about 40 stories. 98 condos. 369 apts. 625 hotel rooms. 105,000 sq. ft. of retail.

MDHA Platinum 1.png

Platinum/Humphrey design: 32-story residential. 25-story hotel. Plus 100,000+ sq. ft. of retail.

MDHA Platinum 2 Humphrey.png

Spectrum/Emery. $500 million. 6 buildings altogether. 20-story, 14-story. 9-story. Several in 6-story range.

MDHA Spectrum:Emery 1.png

MDHA Spectrum:Emery 2.png

• Like 4