Peabody Union (27 story residential, 354 units, 251,000 sq. ft. office, 50,000 sq. ft. retail), Peabody Plaza (9-story, 280,000 sq. ft. office), & 4 smaller buildings, MDHA Trolley Barn sites

markhollin

7 hours ago, Ingram said:

MDHA wants that land developed. They believe the Hensler and Eakin projects are most likely to get FUNDED and BUILT. They can see those proposals have the best chance of happening.

MDHA does not want those lots to go undeveloped because the developer can't get funding. With a condo tower, five apartment towers, and two office towers in the works for downtown, a developer will find it even harder than it already is to get funding for any sort of tower from the banks. What are the odds the other proposed multi tower projects could get funding.

On top of that who knows if Nashville will still be the "I've got to move there" city next year, two years from now, etc. If another city replaces Nashville as the fad city before financing can occur then most likely those lots will sit empty for some time.

I'm glad the multi tower projects didn't get accepted. Nashville already has too many imbeciles moving to it in droves. Every tower that gets built makes the city look even more like a "happening place", which in turn brings even more morons to its confines.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Although I will give you credit, Nashville is experiencing growth unlike it has ever seen, Nashville, as well its immediate surroundings, have experienced growth that exceeds the nationwide rate for the majority of the 20th and 21st century. Economic diversification, lower tax burden, a wide array of educational institutions (attracting younger people), climate, urban green space, and entertainment, are all well entrenched into Nashville's modern identity. It's not just a hit TV show that gives us "15 minutes of fame", these are tangible characteristics. Most comparably sized cities have a few of these advantages, but few have all. Couple that with the fact that Millenials/Gen Zs increasingly value urban living, and it is very likely that above average growth will continue assuming we keep widespread corruption out of local government.

Edit: I would also like to add that while most (myself included) were hoping MHDA would take a "go big or go home" approach with this parcel of land, I would be thrilled to learn the Cambridge Holdings or Crescent Communities proposal replaced this one

Edited by claya91
  • Like 3

On 8/4/2016 at 10:47 AM, Ingram said:

MDHA wants that land developed. They believe the Hensler and Eakin projects are most likely to get FUNDED and BUILT. They can see those proposals have the best chance of happening.

MDHA does not want those lots to go undeveloped because the developer can't get funding. With a condo tower, five apartment towers, and two office towers in the works for downtown, a developer will find it even harder than it already is to get funding for any sort of tower from the banks. What are the odds the other proposed multi tower projects could get funding.

On top of that who knows if Nashville will still be the "I've got to move there" city next year, two years from now, etc. If another city replaces Nashville as the fad city before financing can occur then most likely those lots will sit empty for some time.

I'm glad the multi tower projects didn't get accepted. Nashville already has too many imbeciles moving to it in droves. Every tower that gets built makes the city look even more like a "happening place", which in turn brings even more morons to its confines.

I hear Memphis and Peoria are great places to live this time of the year.  Ever thought about moving to either one?

• Like 2

Not a dig at all.  Neither city is growing so if that's what you want, move there.

As for this being my only response in here, not hardly.  I stated my piece about this design being an offensive piece of suburban garbage.

Edited by Lexy
  • Like 3

On 8/4/2016 at 1:49 PM, smeagolsfree said:

The Mayors office needs to take the Development out of MDHA and leave the housing to that committee and let planning take care of the rest. There is no need for an MDHA design review committee either as there is already a downtown design review committee under the planning dept. None of the MDHA board members have any development experience with exception of one. The rest could be clueless.

Housing development agencies have statutorily enabled funding opportunities that city governments lack.  Your proposal would be shortsighted.

On 8/4/2016 at 10:47 AM, Ingram said:

I agree with nearly everything you said, just not everything in that last paragraph after the first sentence.

• Like 1

I agree Ron and btw, the FBC lot sold for $20 M and from what I'm hearing they may be considering selling the lot behind the Customs House as well as the rest of the lot next to the new Cambria.  I know this info doesn't belong in this thread so maybe it could be moved.  Also, you can go to the church's website http://www.firstbaptistnashville.org and click on Live Services and Events.  The first video is from this past Sunday.  They give a full update on the plans for construction of the new education/multi-purpose building and how it will activate the north end of Broad.  I think the plan is smart and ambitious in a very positive way.  

Timeline highlights:

- Sept 2016 approval of amended master plan, begin architectural work

- Mid 2017 demolition of east building (old bank/trust building)

- First qtr 2018 begin construction 

- 2020 completion

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MDHA is getting criticism for this as well as the decision to do a no bid for the school at Cayce. Hopefully the bad press will move the Mayors office to make changes and get rid of some of the good ole boys that have been running things for years. A sign of good leadership is knowing when to step down and let the next generation run things. I am wondering the reason why different leadership in multiple departments have not stepped down, and one of my theory's is power, but there is always the problem of corruption and kickbacks. I am not saying this is the case, however all things are possible.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

MDHA is getting criticism for this as well as the decision to do a no bid for the school at Cayce. Hopefully the bad press will move the Mayors office to make changes and get rid of some of the good ole boys that have been running things for years. A sign of good leadership is knowing when to step down and let the next generation run things. I am wondering the reason why different leadership in multiple departments have not stepped down, and one of my theory's is power, but there is always the problem of corruption and kickbacks. I am not saying this is the case, however all things are possible.

All you have to do is start seeing questionable decisions again and again and you begin to realize that something isn't right.  There's obviously some kind of issue with this group if we're continually shaking our heads at them.

• Like 2

A couple extra questions:

Does anyone know why MDHA decided to split the parcels up and sell the corner lot separately?  I guess we can still hope that something great gets built there.  Also, does it seem extremely odd to anyone else that they specifically raised to height limit on all three parcels to 30 floors (making it seem like they understood to need for more density) and then they go with a 4 or 5 story office building?  Just seems totally illogical.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, bmkTN said:

A couple extra questions:

Does anyone know why MDHA decided to split the parcels up and sell the corner lot separately?  I guess we can still hope that something great gets built there.  Also, does it seem extremely odd to anyone else that they specifically raised to height limit on all three parcels to 30 floors (making it seem like they understood to need for more density) and then they go with a 4 or 5 story office building?  Just seems totally illogical.

That makes me think it's the "good old boy" system at work even more.

• 4 weeks later...