Peabody Union (27 story residential, 354 units, 251,000 sq. ft. office, 50,000 sq. ft. retail), Peabody Plaza (9-story, 280,000 sq. ft. office), & 4 smaller buildings, MDHA Trolley Barn sites

markhollin

8 minutes ago, Buildtall said:

Like this a lot. Looks like lots of shopping. I have one problem with it. Those huge power lines and if they remain will there be enough room  to get equipment in there to work on them when needed with out destroying the landscaping and walkway.  Other than that, I’ll keep my fingers crossed  that it gets built at current height. I also count 26 floors if the space between the pedestal and tower counts as a floor. 

Welcome to the forum!

12 hours ago, Buildtall said:

Like this a lot. Looks like lots of shopping. I have one problem with it. Those huge power lines and if they remain will there be enough room  to get equipment in there to work on them when needed with out destroying the landscaping and walkway.  Other than that, I’ll keep my fingers crossed  that it gets built at current height. I also count 26 floors if the space between the pedestal and tower counts as a floor. 

I echo LA_TN by welcoming you to the forum, Buildtall!  Hope you can make it to one of our Monthly Meet-Ups.  The next one is this Saturday, Feb. 3rd, from 10 AM to noon at La Lluna Taqueria at 300 James Robertson Parkway (NW corner of JRP and 3rd Ave. North).  We're a real friendly bunch.

Like you, I loathe those power lines.  It would seem that with all the money being spent on the riverfront that they could be buried.  Afterall, they ARE buried when the run alongside the Rolling Mill Hill apartment complexes a thousand feet further to the east.  If it could be done there, then why not here as well?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Buildtall said:

You are going to fit right in here with sentiments like this!!!! Welcome to the site.

Side note: I think for once I am happy about a design change. Must.....fight.....positivity........

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Looks pretty nice. It's definitely time for metro to start winding down these huge parking garage subsidies though. They may have been necessary 10 years ago, but there are ample alternatives to driving downtown and parking now. We should let the market handle this, and put that $17 million towards something more useful. If developers want to include lots of parking for suburban commuters, let them factor that into their business plan.

Also, I love this bike lane and I hope it gets connected into the network in a useful way. Nashville has done a decent job of getting a few protected bike lanes (Davidson, 11th Ave, 16/17th)  in place over the last 10 years, but sometimes it seems like no effort was made to tie them in in a usable way. For example there's a sort-of-separated lane on KVB that seemed like it was going to be a useful east-west route, but it literally runs into a curb at the roundabout instead of putting some thought into, say, combing it with the pedestrian crosswalk. With a little effort this one could go under KVB and then tie into the bike lane, instead of just dumping off into the sidewalks at Ascend.

Screen_Shot_2018_01_29_at_3.51.25_PM.5a6f977e752ab.jpg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, AronG said:

Also, I love this bike lane and I hope it gets connected into the network in a useful way. Nashville has done a decent job of getting a few protected bike lanes (Davidson, 11th Ave, 16/17th)  in place over the last 10 years, but sometimes it seems like no effort was made to tie them in in a usable way. For example there's a sort-of-separated lane on KVB that seemed like it was going to be a useful east-west route, but it literally runs into a curb at the roundabout instead of putting some thought into, say, combing it with the pedestrian crosswalk. With a little effort this one could go under KVB and then tie into the bike lane, instead of just dumping off into the sidewalks at Ascend.

I thought it did go under KVB and up to Rolling Mills already?

22 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

I thought it did go under KVB and up to Rolling Mills already?

The sidewalk does. That render shows a dedicated bike lane, which would be new (I think? I've only gone that way a couple of times to pinewood social and it's been a while). It's usable now, don't get me wrong, my only point is that sometimes a little effort on the margins would make our bike facilities twice as usable.

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

What is missing is some type of children's activity within the loop.  Not saying there should be an amusement park of anything like that...but something that would allow parents to do something with their kids during off times while staying downtown.

The Polercoaster and east bank Ferris wheel! ;) 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, titanhog said:

What is missing is some type of children's activity within the loop.  Not saying there should be an amusement park of anything like that...but something that would allow parents to do something with their kids during off times while staying downtown.

This would be a great quality of life improvement; right now the best thing is the parks. Cumberland Park and the splash pad thing at the Bicentennial park are both enough to entertain my kids for hours (climbing walls, playground, rope web, etc.). Ascend is nice, but there aren't quite enough residential developments around so I think it hasn't hit critical mass. They should add a permanent food truck area. There or the hall of fame park.

15 hours ago, troyboytn said:

Just one observation here...how do they possibly think they can sell/lease units on the north side of that building (unless dirt cheap) which will be overlooking what will arguably the trashiest view (PSC) in the entire city?

From the NBJ article:

Hensler said he wasn't deterred that the current view across the river is the PSC Metals scrapyard and some oil terminals. "When you're in that spot, you're really so far removed from it. You're more focused on looking up and down the river, and at downtown," Hensler said. "Over time, imagine what happens on that side (of the river)."

• Like 2

16 hours ago, troyboytn said:

Just one observation here...how do they possibly think they can sell/lease units on the north side of that building (unless dirt cheap) which will be overlooking what will arguably the trashiest view (PSC) in the entire city?

I'd take PSC over my current view of the architectural dumpster fire that Edgehill is turning into.

• Like 1

So, with the announcement that Asurion will be leaving it's 2nd Ave. location for their new digs at the Gateway Gulch along Church Street (former Tennessean site) in 2021, then this corner lot owned by MDHA as part of the Trolley Barns site will be available at that point.  It is currently serving as a surface lot for Asurion employees. Developers are probably starting to line-up (if they haven't been already) to purchase this from MDHA.  Joe Cain of MDHA told me 18 months ago that this was being earmarked for at least 30 stories.

It is the burgundy "Temporary Lot" in center of this screen shot form Smeagolsfree's excellent development map (SE corner of KVB and Hermitage Ave.):

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 7.53.48 PM.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Does he just think that he will only be able to fill 9 floors, I'm still just very confused as to why it's being built so short. 

I know not every building can be a 50 story big boy, but only 9, why???

Because it's stretched out so long, it is actually quite a bit of space at 280,000 sq. ft.   Originally it was going to be 5 or 6 stories, so at least it's a bit taller now.  

• Like 1