Peabody Union (27 story residential, 354 units, 251,000 sq. ft. office, 50,000 sq. ft. retail), Peabody Plaza (9-story, 280,000 sq. ft. office), & 4 smaller buildings, MDHA Trolley Barn sites

markhollin

16 minutes ago, markhollin said:

From the what-could've-been files.  Here are renderings and brief notes on some of the other bids for the two MDHA Trolley Lots. In alphabetical order developer's names.  My favorites are Matthews, Giarratana, and both of the ideas by Platinum:

Cambridge Holdings: $475 million. 6 buildings, including 3 in the 15-story range. 528 residential units, 568,000 sq. ft. of office, 113,000 sq. ft. of retail, and 246-room hotel:

MDHA Cambridge Holdings 1.png

MDHA Cambridge Holdings 2.png

MDHA Corner Partnership.png

MDHA Crescent Communites:Pearl Street.png

MDHA Flaherty & Collins 1.png

MDHA Flaherty & Collins 2.png

MDHA Giarratana:CIM 1.png

MDHA Giarratana:CIM 2.png

MDHA Matthews Co.:SWH 1.png

MDHA Matthews:SWH 2.png

MDHA Matthews:SWH 3.png

MDHA Matthews:SWH 4.png

MDHA Platinum 1.png

MDHA Platinum 2 Humphrey.png

MDHA Spectrum:Emery 1.png

MDHA Spectrum:Emery 2.png

Every flippin' one of those is better by some degree than the one selected.

Edit; I'm only including the all pictures in this quote because we are on a new page.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 4

MY philosophy has always been that any sort of infill is better than an empty lot, however,  an empty lot isn't much worse than this hot mess IMHO. If they do a major redesign of the "drive-in movie" tower it would be a drastically better proposal.

Edited by troyboytn
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

Trying my best to sort out how all this is arranged on those lots. This is as good as I could figure out right now...

Nice work on this rendering, Pete.  The building you have placed on the far left won't be part of the proposal, as that lot is currently held aside by MDHA for water run-off and overage parking for Rolling Mill Hill residents. Everything else seems to fit with what the renderings are showing from other angles.

5 minutes ago, ariesjow said:

I liked the Giarratana proposal as well. Pretty much all of them are better than the chosen one. Let's cross our fingers that this ends up like the former convention center redevelopment and the design is gradually improved over time. 

Off topic but could you or anyone point to the original plans for the convention center, all that was happening before I was interested in all of this =)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Off topic but could you or anyone point to the original plans for the convention center, all that was happening before I was interested in all of this =)

Emery.png

The thread contains the other proposals as well:

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/116247-former-convention-center-site-development-5th-broadway/?page=5

• Like 2

When I saw the other options the only two things I thought were, WTF, that's the worst design (except the J thing, that was... uck) and I wonder how much the payoff was to the committee?  I truly hope, as earlier mentioned, that the design gets changed (for the better) over time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

There is a story at the online NBJ about the "modesty" of the winning proposal. I let my subscription expire.  So don't know what the details are. http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2016/07/all-about-perspective-winning-bid-for-trolley.html

The Tennessean reported yesterday that Eakin and Hensler offered $22 million for the two lots; and Giarratana et.al. offered $50 million for the two plus the lot at the corner.  Turning down that offer seems very irresponsible to me.  Remember, MDHA is the agency that let three lots in the footprint of the Music City Center get bought/sold out from under their clueless noses. The result was that they were forced to pay a much higher cost for the land than if they had been smart and bought options on all the land. And as noted by someone here, they picked a really horribly rendered (planned) proposal by Emery for the old convention center site.  MDHA does not appear to be run by smart people. I can imagine a bunch of bureaucratic "lifers".  Makes the whole operation smell of political patronage. I have a close friend who writes for the political page at the Tennessean.  Think I'll point him to this one. Should get Getahn on this one too. 

I want to punch a baby seal.

• Like 4