Peabody Union (27 story residential, 354 units, 251,000 sq. ft. office, 50,000 sq. ft. retail), Peabody Plaza (9-story, 280,000 sq. ft. office), & 4 smaller buildings, MDHA Trolley Barn sites

markhollin

12 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

New Jersey?

Seriously, I know limestone is huge business in middle TN given our geology and there are many quarries and suppliers.     I just had 3 truckloads delivered for a gravel drive.   Companies like Vulcan Materials quarry their own.     It makes sense that gravel processors would buy excavation material from construction sites, as long as it were free of soil and other debris I guess.      I honestly don’t know how that works.    Hence my question.     

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 11:21 AM, CenterHill said:

Which begs the question, where does it all go? 

When 840 was under construction, I asked this same question to a friend who was overseeing part of the project.  He said that the elevation of the highway is designed so that the stone they take from blasting through a hill is used to fill in a valley next to it.  They don't have to haul stone very far.

There were two areas getting a lot of fill. One was on Hwy 12 at the top of the hill on the left before you get out of Davidson. Hundreds of truck loads of dirt and rock were hauled there and has been for years and as to what they are doing there I am clueless.

Also on up into Ashland City before the Wal Mart on the left hundreds more truckloads were brought in there. I think they have apartments planned there and have to raise the level about 10 fet above the flood stage.

Recently both sites have not been very active.

Another thing they are doing on some of these sites are crushing the stone as they take it out and probably selling to a gravel company. The crushed rock can also be used as agrigate in concrete.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LA_TN said:

@markhollin those are some nice pics!

I am still impressed that we have 2 tower cranes used to build a 9 story building:blink:

This thing seems like an engineering nightmare with the steep hill and bottomless pit. It makes me wonder how they see 9 stories as sufficient to try and turn a profit after this undoubtedly expensive construction. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...