Peabody Union (27 story residential, 354 units, 251,000 sq. ft. office, 50,000 sq. ft. retail), Peabody Plaza (9-story, 280,000 sq. ft. office), & 4 smaller buildings, MDHA Trolley Barn sites

markhollin

Imagine the view now from the I-24 overpass overlooking the metal place and downtown. Its going to be a killer view with Second Ave. Partners and this. Also, since the overpass has a good height to it, the views give justice to the height of all the buildings. They just look more massive from that view.

• Like 4

I like the oversized "tunnel" that passes below the residential tower. I also really like this geometry of the tower much better than the previous iteration. This one respects the residential buildings at the top of Rolling Hill Mill much better. I am also very excited for a large pedestrian corridor that will run between the 5-story office building and the tower podium. I will be excited to see the more detailed renderings materiality. I think the riverfront portion of the site has some amazing potential as well, so I am excited to see how they approach that part of the site. With the connection of Crockett hopefully that will also prompt a new crosswalk across KVB as well.

I am not thrilled with several items regarding the KVB frontage though.

1. I'm not thrilled with the "stilts" look of the office building. I'll reserve a harsh critique until the materiality comes through, but the "stilts" look feels dated and is reminiscent of old modernist buildings that have not aged well.
  2. WTF is up with all the hardscaping and steps that lead to a highway?? This is not a pedestrian corridor so it really won't be used as such. They should replace some of the softscaping they are removing and limit the amount of hardscape.
  3. With the added parking and increased office load, I understand improving access to the site (although I'm NOT happy about a new road, even if it is reconnecting), but Crockett is too big! It should be right turn only for exits. if you want to head into the city, use Hermitage. left hand turns out of this street will be disastrous and will only cause problems.
  4. It appears the development is approximately doubling the size of the ROW for the street. Currently Crockett street is used for perpendicular parking for the Energy building. Remove that, place those spots in the new garage and use the current ROW and expand the pedestrian zone along the office building. This could allow for increased greenery as well. 
  • Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that MDHA more or less always approve requests for height increases, which of course begs the question, what's the point of the height restrictions being there in the first place?  Apologies for sounding like a broken record, but it really is just so absurd.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

as glad as I am to see this height increase, I'll repost this photo of the surface parking lot, as I believe whatever is developed here will be much more important to the entire Rolling Mill Hill development. It has to be iconic. 

image.png.bb18d74e2c92ce37760abf71c54fb035.png

Who has the lot purchased and what's the max height for it?

I know it's silly but I resent the hell out of Eakin using those skyline shots to sell his office space. I mean, dude could have put up a much bigger, truly-urban style building, but instead puts up a squatty suburban building. Just want someone to put up a huge tower to block his precious skyline view. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MLBrumby said:

I know it's silly but I resent the hell out of Eakin using those skyline shots to sell his office space. I mean, dude could have put up a much bigger, truly-urban style building, but instead puts up a squatty suburban building. Just want someone to put up a huge tower to block his precious skyline view. 

Yeah...it won't be long until those views are all gone when something is built on the two corners of KVB and Hermitage / 1st.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I totally agree... it's like, YOU didn't make any efforts to contribute to the betterment of that view at all with your stupid squat blob, so you don't get to try and capitalize off the work of others to sell your blob.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's entirely reasonable and appropriate to have severe height restrictions on Rutledge Hill? And that this building is doing that one thing right? (Even if it's botching a lot of other factors like its relationship to the street and suburban style car access.) Tall buildings on that elevation would be severely imposing and...IMHO, degrade the beauty of the river bluff.

I kind of think the new Belmont dorms are way too tall perched on their hill as well. 

• Like 2

I thought Eakin didn't get anywhere near the height limit at that location. Thought it was 30 stories, or maybe 12 a block away. What was/is it? 

My beef is not that he kept sight lines for people on RMH, but the building doesn't do a damn thing about activating the main thoroughfare beside it and 'turns away' from it. I can understand a developer being cautious, but this looks like something drawn up for Cool Springs that he just decided to plop down in the middle of town. I realize he's dropping a chunk of change on the u/g parking. I have no beef with that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's entirely reasonable and appropriate to have severe height restrictions on Rutledge Hill? And that this building is doing that one thing right? (Even if it's botching a lot of other factors like its relationship to the street and suburban style car access.) Tall buildings on that elevation would be severely imposing and...IMHO, degrade the beauty of the river bluff.

I agree, height should be stepped up from the river and Interstates south of KVB as consistent with the SoBro master plan.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

I kind of think the new Belmont dorms are way too tall perched on their hill as well. 

36 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

I agree, height should be stepped up from the river and Interstates south of KVB as consistent with the SoBro master plan.

^^ valid points

Originally, the SoBro area was supposed to be less than 20 stories to provide a step below the downtown skyscrapers. That concept was imposed on the Encore, then thrown out the window 2 years later when Pinnacle was announced. And then again with Four Seasons because first avenue buildings were supposed to, again, provide a step below the towers beyond

But yes, your argument is valid for the Eakin building. The Hensler residential tower will stick out, until something is built at KVB/Hermitage

• Like 2

Ohhhhh the horror, no densayteeeeeeee!!!

These people know what they're doing and are preserving a quality of life. I didn't know ordinary citizens are supposed to be subservient to "elite" oligarchs and their mindless psycophants. I'm glad there's a system to keep them in check.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3