Peabody Union (27 story residential, 354 units, 251,000 sq. ft. office, 50,000 sq. ft. retail), Peabody Plaza (9-story, 280,000 sq. ft. office), & 4 smaller buildings, MDHA Trolley Barn sites

markhollin

4 hours ago, gannman said:

It will offer a nice transition into the Trolley Barns, but I 100% agree that the lack of street activation is a shame.

I agree completely.  Coincidentally, the other day I was using Google Street View to poke around a bit in Rolling Mill Hill, which I've always had a positive image of in my mind.  As a result, however, I've kind of rethought my opinion of it a bit.  I still appreciate it's existence, and feel that it's overall a quality development.  I am willing cut it a little slack, too, seeing as how it was one of the earlier urban residential proposals within the downtown loop, so perhaps I'm nitpicking a little bit.  That being said though, I was pretty surprised by the ALMOST complete and total lack of any retail or restaurant or office space of any kind.  It appeared to be almost entirely residential.  I was also not thrilled with the quality of the work on some of the newer buildings.  Many of them had sort of a cheap, suburban look to them. 

What stood out to me the most, however, and what sparked this comment in the first place, was the fact that it appeared to be somewhat of an insular community.  It seems to mostly turn it's back on Hermitage Avenue aside from a small portion of the Terra House.  The Terra House is also where the only retail is, but even that caught my eye because it has this super bizarre double sidewalk thing going on, where the retail is built up to a sort of secondary sidewalk... but there is a strip of grass and trees in between that sidewalk and the sidewalk along Hermitage Avenue... so they had to build other sidewalks connecting the two sidewalks...??  It is incredibly ridiculous looking, and one of those weird urban design hiccups I only recall having ever seen in Nashville.  My God do I wish the city would create some regulations on setbacks.  

Anyhow, apologies for the somewhat off-topic mini rant, but your comment just reminded me of my observations and figured this was as good a place as any to share them given the fact that it's a neighboring development.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 7:40 PM, henburg said:

I used to be one of the biggest haters on the Eakin Building, but I have to admit that I was wrong about it. Proportions aside, the facade looks really nice and the building makes a super nice impression up on the hill. The taller Hensler building to come will only complement it even more.

As you're driving down I-24, it's a bit of a shock to see that this building catches your eye/sticks out - because of its architecture

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...