Sign in to follow this  
jbjust

Richmond's Bicycle Infrastructure

I think it's time for a thread to discuss Richmond's bicycle infrastructure.  If we're going to be a world-class city, we're going to have to figure out a way to let people get around by bike without fearing for their lives.  This will be a place to discuss new biking infrastructure such as trails, bike-share programs, the Capital Trail, etc.  

Is it just me or are the bike share locations on the current map different than we originally saw?  This map shows a bike share location right near the James Center, which would be awesome.  map_Bike_Share1.png

• Like 1

I think they are waiting until phase 2 for that.  They plan on adding electric assist bikes during phase 2, which will help people travel to and from church hill.

map_Bike_Share2.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kermit
      So its been about 10 years since the Blue Line opened and Charlotte has spent a significant amount of energy talking about how to make the city more walkable and less car dependent. As I think about the walkable portions of Charlotte (Dilworth, Southend, PM, Wesley Heights (needs a grocery store), NoDa, etc.) all of these places were built before cars and they have merely been updated to accommodate modern needs.
      Try as I might I can't think of a single post-war neighborhood in Charlotte that has been made more walkable. Is there any neighborhood outside of the inner ring where walking to the store, school or transit is possible for more than a token few? The Blue Line created little or no change in the neighborhoods south of New Bern. Birkdale-like places seem much more like malls than neighborhoods to me and feel as isolated as a mall -- but I don't spend much time there so correct me if I am wrong. Brightwalk comes to mind as one of the best examples but AFAIK it lacks retail and is basically cutoff from any other neighborhoods by Statesville Ave and 77. LoSo is another place where people now want to walk, but it lacks the necessary infrastructure (sidewalks and transit access). We have even failed at connecting neighborhoods by means other than the car (e.g. crossing from Dilworth to Southend on bike or foot is still kinda hairy).
      So my question is what is missing from the development process? Is it zoning (e.g. lot size, sidewalk width, land use mix)? Transit? Traffic engineering (too many car sewers)? A combination of all or something else entirely?
      Ten years of experience suggests that we have not figured out how to make new walkable burbs -- is it time to give up?  Would giving up be a bad thing?
      EDIT: am I being too pessimistic? Does new multi-family in places like Park Road / Selwyn make new walkability available to some? Please tell me I have overlooked some significant positive change somewhere.
    • By DJCortesRVA
      Thought a thread for bicycle-related infrastructural and program developments seemed appropriate. Post any news related cycling in Richmond. Also, feel free to share any articles that were previously shared in broader threads here on bicycles. 
      Just resharing the article on the bike-share program coming to Richmond because I came across another curious article (see 2nd link) on how Milwaukee's bike-share program teamed up with their Housing Authority in order to ensure accessibility to lower- and low income neighborhoods.
      http://www.richmond.com/news/article_63ad34d7-37d2-569e-91f5-a8c0fd2ec28e.html
      http://www.streetsblog.net/2016/07/11/milwaukee-bike-share-teams-up-with-housing-authority-on-system-expansion/
    • By RVA-Is-The-Best
      Just a thought. I mean think about it. Almost 3 million people, they both have very close connections (both transportation wise and historically) Richmond and Norfolk would be like the two urban "centers" for the CSA, and building out New Kent or Charles City would bridge that big gap between RVA and HR. Any thoughts? I think they are actually pretty close, and it would be a big win for both MSAs.