MoRA

RiverwoodCLT

My only issue with the name is that "MoRA" is the name of the neighborhood association. So, the neighborhood should just be "MoR." I like the effort though. The only way places improve for the better is when the neighborhoods are organized and can work to create a sense of identity for themselves.

I think it will change over time to Monroe Road Area.

In Crown Point Area a new apartment complex and restaurant in starting construction.   This will be the third apartment complex built in this area in the last few years.

Crown Point Theater is full every night of the week, thanks to the  a new format  at the theater.

The old K-Mart on Sardis North is about to open as offices.

McAlpine Creek Greenway is comple from Independence to Sardis Road.  Next phase will be from Sardis Road to Providence Road.  Many High Schools and Colleges use McAlipne Greenway for their touraments and for local school  practices.

4 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Please don't call it MoRA, we already have a neighborhood with an acronym name, keep NoDa unique. 

While the 'hood is unique, the naming of it is quite the opposite. The formula was tired and overused when the name was conceived and has only become less unique since then. It seems like every medium sized city has a neighborhood named very similar. 

To bring it around, I don't care for MoRa. IMO it just screams lazyness. Having said that I don't live in the neighborhood so I don't have a dog in this fight.

3 hours ago, go_vertical said:

While the 'hood is unique, the naming of it is quite the opposite. The formula was tired and overused when the name was conceived and has only become less unique since then. It seems like every medium sized city has a neighborhood named very similar. 

To bring it around, I don't care for MoRa. IMO it just screams lazyness. Having said that I don't live in the neighborhood so I don't have a dog in this fight.

I'm not completely opposed to the naming convention, but to me, it mostly makes sense for close-in, former industrial or mill areas. Stamping it on an area that is mostly new-ish construction densifying a solidly suburban area seems pretty contrived. 

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I think it's a great move to unite a fractured area with a shared identity and purpose. They can generate a sense of pride in the area and build recognition and political strength. 

Thank you.  You get what they are trying to do Promote and give information to people how live in that area.   They have a lot of good info on facebook.

1 minute ago, ah59396 said:

NoDa isn't even unique.  It's a ripoff of every other city's attempt to brand a neighborhood.  SoHo, SoBo, ect.  The only "unique" neighborhood names are historically accurate ones for Charlotte.  Meyers Park, Plaza-Midwood, ect.

They should just name it after a Park or a River or something different.  Another acronym (to me) just gets lost in the woodwork.

I know that, but what I meant by unique is the name for a neighbourhood. Have one neighborhood with an acronym name, not two. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't want this post to be viewed as an endorsement of "MORA" (it's the dang association, not the neighborhood), but it's appropriate for the thread, and I want to talk about it since the South End thread is depressing:

Heard word the other week that Common Market is going into the Oakhurst space next to Suds'n'Duds.

Exciting.

Thoughts?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

3 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I don't want this post to be viewed as an endorsement of "MORA" (it's the dang association, not the neighborhood), but it's appropriate for the thread, and I want to talk about it since the South End thread is depressing:

Heard word the other week that Common Market is going into the Oakhurst space next to Suds'n'Duds.

Exciting.

Thoughts?

I had heard a long time ago that they were actively looking to expand to that area, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me. It would sure may the folks at Clayworks happy

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Continued Redevelopment of the area around Idlewild and Monroe.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/001-016/2017-016 site plan.pdf

I was getting all excited for more urban style multi-family / commercial, and then...

Monroe.jpg

And it's right next to the Meridian development! Come on!

Edited by SgtCampsalot