MoRA

RiverwoodCLT

That doesn't look like a big enough grocery store space to be your average Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, etc....

Looks like an Aldi layout with the corner entrance and small footprint of the store. Median income of $33,000 in 28212 fits Aldi market strategy and there are no Aldi's on that side of Independence until Matthews.

The amount of private roads in this site plan is completely unnecessary.

Edited by CLT2014

40 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

That doesn't look like a big enough grocery store space to be your average Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, etc....

Looks like an Aldi layout with the corner entrance and small footprint of the store. Median income of $33,000 in 28212 fits Aldi market strategy and there are no Aldi's on that side of Independence until Matthews.

The amount of private roads in this site plan is completely unnecessary.

There is an Lidl going in just a few miles up the street on Monroe, near Crown Pointe, so I don't know that Aldi would put a store here.

Edited by Guest

The 17.4-acre site is at a new interchange that will offer access to Independence Boulevard, and across Idlewild Road from the new Meridian Station development that includes apartments, offices and retail.

e

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article113926293.html

Edited by RiverwoodCLT
  • Like 1

Horray for more apartments! As long as none of this gets in the way of Matthews and Union County residents' commute, I think it's a great plan! /sarcasm

We seriously need something along this stretch. We used to have one of everything and it got obliterated by the freeway project. I seriously can't wait for Hawthorne's to open. Since there are no bars or restaurants left. I thought we were going to have to wait for the Silver Line for anything else to be developed

20 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There is an Lidl going in just a few miles up the street on Monroe, near Crown Pointe, so I don't know that Aldi would put a store here.

The rendering looks like the Aldi logo, just missing the actual word "Aldi". Aldi probably wants to get in the neighborhood to fight off Lidl and defend market share. The two are fierce competitors. 

A rendering of the planned new development by Selwyn Property Group.

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like a Walgreens to me but any new development in this area is needed and welcomed. 

They are planning a grocery for that site though. Here is the typical Aldi layout and you'll notice the logo is a good match, the step down of the roofline, and in the grocery segment vs. pharmacy. Walgreens and Aldi have a fairly similar layout though with the corner entrance. 

Image result for aldi

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

Not quite MoRa but on the Monroe Rd corridor in Oakhurst finally townhomes will rise on the vacant woonsocket mill site.  Good news for the neighborhood and this is a great location. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/15/monroe-road-project-to-include-118-townhouses-with.html  Isnt the Common Market also opening a location nearby? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not quite MoRa but on the Monroe Rd corridor in Oakhurst finally townhomes will rise on the vacant woonsocket mill site.  Good news for the neighborhood and this is a great location. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/15/monroe-road-project-to-include-118-townhouses-with.html  Isnt the Common Market also opening a location nearby? 

CM should be in due time, next to the Suds-n-Duds.

Can anyone find pictures of the Woonsocket Mill? I've found lots of write-ups, but no photos...

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Does anybody think the city's first homicide of 2017 being in the M Station Apartents will impact perception of this area as still rough arpund the edges and slow gentrification?

As long as Chicago, Detroit, and New Orleans still exist, I'd say Charlotte's reputation is fine. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Does anybody think the city's first homicide of 2017 being in the M Station Apartents will impact perception of this area as still rough arpund the edges and slow gentrification?

I sure hope not. I still have high hopes for Hawthorne's

52 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

As long as Chicago, Detroit, and New Orleans still exist, I'd say Charlotte's reputation is fine. 

I meant specifically the perception of the Monroe Road area, not Charlotte as a whole. And more MORA's reputation among people living here in Charlotte selecting what neighborhood they live in. M Station Apartments is the biggest development in "MORA" and kick started gentrification in that area. They've been trying to improve its reputation.

Edited by CLT2014

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Perception is ephemeral and amorphous. The same act can have one effect in one place, and another effect somewhere else.

I don't think it will change the minds of people who were already considering the area in the first place. Monroe Rd has cute, older houses with a bit more urbanity than most suburbs, and the thoroughfare is less harsh than, say, South Blvd. I think this area will continue to gain steam with no issues.

19 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I think it depends on how much detail is released.   If it was random crime...then yes.  If it was something else like a crime of passion...then no.  At least that is how I would see it.  

23 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

I really hope that this area does well. My dad and stepdad lived off of Monroe Road near Eastway and the area needs help.  This should bring new people out to that part of town. The problem is that people like me that might consider moving closer in to town see this rather nice area and have high hopes. Unfortunately, some incident like this makes one automatically wonder who is being drawn into the area. I certainly hope that this is an isolated incident and the area will thrive. I agree with southslider and others that the name "RoRA" can't help anything. 

• 1 month later...

So, MORA it is...

Some articles about Common Market's new "Oakwold" location in Oakhurst on Monroe Rd:

DevelopCLT:

http://developclt.com/common-market/

Charlotte Five:

http://www.charlottefive.com/first-look-common-market-oakwold/

Biz Journal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/01/30/new-common-market-in-the-works-for-cotswold-area.html

• Like 1

On 1/3/2017 at 1:50 PM, caterpillar2 said:

I really hope that this area does well. My dad and stepdad lived off of Monroe Road near Eastway and the area needs help.  This should bring new people out to that part of town. The problem is that people like me that might consider moving closer in to town see this rather nice area and have high hopes. Unfortunately, some incident like this makes one automatically wonder who is being drawn into the area. I certainly hope that this is an isolated incident and the area will thrive. I agree with southslider and others that the name "RoRA" can't help anything. 

I meant to say my "dad and my stepmom." additionally, I didn't mean "RORA" I ment "MORA." If it was written on a Wednesday night, I may have had too many.