MoRA

RiverwoodCLT

36 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

It’s eye catching for sure.  Catching even eyeballs owned by the folks in City code enforcement.  They say it’s in violation of the sign ordinance and the box needs to be unwrapped by the end of the month.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbtv.com/2021/05/20/you-cant-miss-it-bright-yellow-bojangles-stirs-up-reaction-city-says-violation-sign-codes/%3foutputType=amp

Ohhhhhh, I would love to be the attorney on that case. They should challenge that.

20 hours ago, tozmervo said:

It's only interesting out on a crappy suburban thoroughfare or as a temporary installation. Just imagine the hell if Truist had wrapped Hearst Tower in purple. 

oh wait...

Sure - your example would be a travesty. But, I believe that in many ways zoning codes try to legislate against the worst case scenario, and in the process outlaw many creative solutions that can bring interest and vibrancy. Things like minimum setbacks, separation of uses, and yes, sign ordinances enforce a rather dull homogeneity. The purpose of these codes should be to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the community. A yellow Bojangles (dare I say, even a purple Hearst Tower) does not hurt anyone. I say let 'er rip.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Charlotte is often referred to as an "emerald city."  I've had company from out of town tell me that driving around Charlotte, even in our heavily commercial areas, is like going through an expansive park.  I am a major advocate for our signage and tree regulation.  I'm all for continuously improving pedestrian accessibility everywhere in the city, including commercial areas, but that accessibility would have nothing to do with cluttering our streets and avenues with a barrage of pole signs.  I see it way too often in american cities, especially sunbelt ones, and I'm incredibly grateful that Charlotte has largely avoided such an aesthetic assault.  

In Charlotte, our street trees - natural and shade-producing and air-purifying monuments - still generally have more prominence than the sensory overload of pole signs screaming at you from above seemingly in an effort to re-program the automatic part of your cognition to consume.  I want nothing to do with what I see in Atlanta or Dallas or Houston, and would fight even the slippery slope that tries to steer us in that direction.  You want a break from dull homogeneity - then sure - let's vary the street trees and the biodiversity in our parks and plazas.  But a jarring blitzkrieg of neon and yellow-wrapped box-buildings luring you to high blood-pressure and angioplasties...hard pass!

Signage - Houston.jpg

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

On 8/4/2016 at 4:31 PM, go_vertical said:

While the 'hood is unique, the naming of it is quite the opposite. The formula was tired and overused when the name was conceived and has only become less unique since then. It seems like every medium sized city has a neighborhood named very similar. 

To bring it around, I don't care for MoRa. IMO it just screams lazyness. Having said that I don't live in the neighborhood so I don't have a dog in this fight.

Combining two part geo name is easy , New Orelans. NOLA, North Davidson, NoDA, Monroe, NC; its a tough combo, Monc, MorNC, MoeCO, etc

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Charlotte is often referred to as an "emerald city."  I've had company from out of town tell me that driving around Charlotte, even in our heavily commercial areas, is like going through an expansive park.  I am a major advocate for our signage and tree regulation.  I'm all for continuously improving pedestrian accessibility everywhere in the city, including commercial areas, but that accessibility would have nothing to do with cluttering our streets and avenues with a barrage of pole signs.  I see it way too often in american cities, especially sunbelt ones, and I'm incredibly grateful that Charlotte has largely avoided such an aesthetic assault.  

In Charlotte, our street trees - natural and shade-producing and air-purifying monuments - still generally have more prominence than the sensory overload of pole signs screaming at you from above seemingly in an effort to re-program the automatic part of your cognition to consume.  I want nothing to do with what I see in Atlanta or Dallas or Houston, and would fight even the slippery slope that tries to steer us in that direction.  You want a break from dull homogeneity - then sure - let's vary the street trees and the biodiversity in our parks and plazas.  But a jarring blitzkrieg of neon and yellow-wrapped box-buildings luring you to high blood-pressure and angioplasties...hard pass!

Signage - Houston.jpg

I mean what is not to like there. That street is as American as TLC reality shows and the Military Industrial Complex. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, JBS said:

Good video, great momentum, terrible name (IMO). I think using MoRA as a representation of a business/retailers association is fine. Using it to identify the area itself isn't great because it's a bad name and it reduces the use of specific longstanding neighborhood names. Oakhurst is a great name/story on its own, it shouldn't be lumped in under MoRA.  Everything between Elizabeth and Matthews should not be MoRA.  That said, this is very low on my list of concerns. 

Is this area looking to become dense and walkable?

I have a close friend who owns a residential property with his rear yard adjacent to the MoRA corridor. He's ecstatic about these developments and the appreciation of his property values.  He said he will be lobbying the COC City Council to endorse and jettison these initiatives.  I am over there often and recognizing the changes in the past few years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kayman said:

I have a close friend who owns a residential property with his rear yard adjacent to the MoRA corridor. He's ecstatic about these developments and the appreciation of his property values.  He said he will be lobbying the COC City Council to endorse and jettison these initiatives.  I am over there often and recognizing the changes in the past few years.

The confused emoji is not from me (I liked) but it could be reacting to your use of "jettison":

jettison

verb

jet·ti·son | \ ˈje-tə-sən  , -zən \
jettisoned; jettisoning; jettisons

Definition of jettison

(Entry 1 of 2)

transitive verb

1: to get rid of as superfluous or encumbering : omit or forgo as part of a plan or as the result of some other decisionmust be prepared to jettison many romantic notions— Christopher Catling
2: to drop (cargo) to lighten a ship's load in time of distress

Edited by JBS
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 3:09 AM, RANYC said:

Massive trees chopped all over the area around Monroe and Rama.  Anyone know anything about it?  

2D1B07AC-DF46-48D3-9C6A-C67C0F40FAE6.jpeg

There are now survey stakes from the corner of Rama (the Hendrick property) all the way to Ashmore.  And the Jehovah's Witnesses signage has been removed. Doesn't look like there is a rezoning filed for it though, and it all still shows as office zoning.